• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 87 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
As in Lotto will stay on but Omega are leaving?

according to the belgian press Lotto wants to continue a more belgian course while omega-pharma prefers a more international course and so at the end of the season they would split.

Rumours are that lotto is going to form a team with belgacom (belgian national phone company) and addeco and try and get as many good belgians in a team spearheaded by gilbert and vandenbroeck, the current budget of omega-pharma-lotto (about 10 million) would be augmented with both lotta and belgacom as main sponsors bringing in at least 5 million each and addeco as third sponsor also bringing in a fair share of money.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
cobblehead said:
according to the belgian press Lotto wants to continue a more belgian course while omega-pharma prefers a more international course and so at the end of the season they would split.

Rumours are that lotto is going to form a team with belgacom (belgian national phone company) and addeco and try and get as many good belgians in a team spearheaded by gilbert and vandenbroeck, the current budget of omega-pharma-lotto (about 10 million) would be augmented with both lotta and belgacom as main sponsors bringing in at least 5 million each and addeco as third sponsor also bringing in a fair share of money.
The point of trying to court VDB if his main priority is now Tour or just GTs in general (none of which are belgian)?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
cobblehead said:

Some rumours also link Lotto with FDJ:

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-divers_une_possible_fusion_fdj_lotto_en_2012-14763.html

According to L'Equipe, there were already negotiations one year ago.

"One year ago, La Française des Jeux was very close to Lotto, but the project didn't go all the way through. Until now, these negotiations have not resulted in something concrete" says an employee of FDJ.

L'Equipe also says the negotiations may well start again soon, even though Marc Madiot denies this at the moment: "As far as I know, there is nothing planned". This fusion would only be valid if Gilbert decides to stay with Lotto. At a monthly salary of more than € 100,000 FDJ does not have the means to buy him.

Apart from this project, eight other teams are in negotiations with Gilbert for 2012.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
rxgqgxnyfz said:
The point of trying to court VDB if his main priority is now Tour or just GTs in general (none of which are belgian)?
After the spring classics, TdF is the biggest thing in cycling for the Belgian press.
A Belgian doing good in TdF = half of the sport pages filled with Tour news.

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, if Lotto and Belgacom form a team together, perhaps Omega Pharma will become the main sponsor of Leopard? Leopard takes in a few additional Belgian riders for next year in addition to Monfort and Weylandt, which would combine nicely with Fabian's desire for more classics support. Also fits with Omega Pharma's wishes for a more international team.

Meanwhile Lotto & Belgacom could form a nice strong Belgian team with Gilbert and VDB2. Going to be a hard fight over the Belgian riders though if they want a more complete Belgian team. Quickstep is also going to step it up next year, they'll be looking for more Belgians too.

I'd like to see Lotto with FDJ, would be nice to see a combined French-Belgian team compete. Might be a nice boost for French cycling too, especially if Gilbert joins this new team. Don't know how it rhymes with Lotto's desire for a full Belgian team though..

Interesting times anyway :)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Greenflame said:
Hmm, if Lotto and Belgacom form a team together, perhaps Omega Pharma will become the main sponsor of Leopard? Leopard takes in a few additional Belgian riders for next year in addition to Monfort and Weylandt, which would combine nicely with Fabian's desire for more classics support. Also fits with Omega Pharma's wishes for a more international team.

Meanwhile Lotto & Belgacom could form a nice strong Belgian team with Gilbert and VDB2. Going to be a hard fight over the Belgian riders though if they want a more complete Belgian team. Quickstep is also going to step it up next year, they'll be looking for more Belgians too.

I'd like to see Lotto with FDJ, would be nice to see a combined French-Belgian team compete. Might be a nice boost for French cycling too, especially if Gilbert joins this new team. Don't know how it rhymes with Lotto's desire for a full Belgian team though..

Interesting times anyway :)

Gilbert left FDJ because of Marc Madiot. Otherwise Valverde is going to cry against Gilbert again because his manager doesn't like doping. In al seriousness Gilbert did get "bullied" by other cyclists(like Oscar Pereiro and Valverde) in his FDJ teams because of what Marc Madiot was saying in the press all the time. Gilbert was tired of this and it's one of the reasons why he left.

I see Gilbert following Omega Pharma. Can you imagine if they would become the main sponsers of Leopard?

Philippe Gilbert, Fabian Cancellara and the Schlecks in one single team! Doubt anyone including them self would want that, but it's nice to imagine such things :p

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Gilbert on the matter:

"There are a lot of rumours and it is rather complicated. Nothing is official and we, the riders, don't know what to think. It's rather bizarre because finally we are successful and it doesn't work anymore. But I'm not stressed out, with all my result's I'm sure to find a job next year ...

I will choose according to the offers. I'm sure that financially, it will be the same everywhere. It's certainly important but I will pay most attention to the sportive criteria. (...) I also look closely at the structure of a team, its riders, its staff, its material. I pay attention to the smallest details."

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-transf_pour_gilbert_le_critere_sportif_sera_primordial-14835.html

Christian said:
This is sort of an interesting case though, as Omega wants to stay in cycling. When was the last time a main sponsor switched teams?
2010-11:
ISD, from ISD-NERI to Lampre-ISD
Farnese Vini, from Lampre-Farnese Vini to Farnese Vini-Neri Sottoli

2009:
LA-MSS disband
Fercase-Paredes Rota dos Móveis to LA-Paredes Rota dos Móveis

It was rumoured for a while that the replacement sponsor for Bouygues Télécom would be Caisse d'Epargne, but that didn't come of anything.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Still no government? I think they're just trying to put the record on the shelf so no one takes it off them!

yeah and when it hits 1 year, we'll just have new elections with the same factions as winners and it'll all start over. Stupid stupid countrymen :(

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
yeah and when it hits 1 year, we'll just have new elections with the same factions as winners and it'll all start over. Stupid stupid countrymen :(

there hasn't been a real government in 4 years actually and as much as i like Gilbert it won't be enough

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
LEOPARD TREK announces California roster:

Anders LUND
Andy SCHLECK
Jakob FUGLSANG
Jens VOIGT
Linus GERDEMANN
Martin MORTENSEN
Martin PEDERSEN
Stefan DENIFL

The leader will be Gerdemann, who was indeed preparing for California in Romandie. He has shown decent form with several attacks, a solid 10th place in the ITT and I believe 11th overall. It appears the California ITT is around the same length (24 km) but I haven't seen the profile yet.

http://www.leopardtrek.lu/calendar/amgen-tour-california

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
@Benna80 is mad at whoever brought him down:

"When they told me how the crash occured I tried to put myself in the place of the rider who (unvoluntarily) brought me down. If it had been me, I repeat, if it had been me, I would have found the decency to say "I'm sorry". Unfortunately, in 2011, RESPECT is a rare concept."

I wonder who it was, does anyone know?

TRENDING THREADS