• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 95 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
i've said that i don't want him back but after i found about the ballan "virus" affair,i changed my mind.i just hope he will stay healthy and someone will take care of him.
definitely good that he refused amore e vita,the charlatan fanini was just about to sell his image,make him a good boy because he won't have any earrings and diamonds.
it's a very small team of course but if this will make him happy,it's a good choice.he still is a young man with lots of fans in italy.

If it proves anything it's that Ricco basically admits he won't be riding clean.

He'll be banned soon enough anyway. And will be shunned by all Protour races. Don't know why you guys are keeping your hopes up, it's not going to happen. I don't see any WT team buying him ever again.

Here's some interesting news about Gilbert:

-4 teams still in the running: Quickstep, Sky, BMC, Astana
- 3 year contract. Salary of 3.5million to 3.8million euros(only the above 4 teams want to offer that)
- He'll decide before 26 june
- He's most impressed by BMC offer
- He wants Vanendert, Jurgen van de Walle and Leukemans with him. The team that buys him will be forced to buy out Leukemans at Vacan

El Pistolero said:
If it proves anything it's that Ricco basically admits he won't be riding clean.

He'll be banned soon enough anyway. And will be shunned by all Protour races. Don't know why you guys are keeping your hopes up, it's not going to happen. I don't see any WT team buying him ever again.

- 3 year contract. Salary of 3.5million to 3.8million euros(only the above 4 teams want to offer that)
- He's most impressed by BMC offer
- He wants Vanendert, Jurgen van de Walle and Leukemans with him. The team that buys him will be forced to buy out Leukemans at Vacan

Aw BMC, Sky and Astana :(

Would rather see him at Sky than those, but Quickstep would be best. Interesting to hear about Leukemans + co.

Can't wait to hear where he ends up.

Will all of those teams have 4+ spaces for next year?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Aw BMC, Sky and Astana :(

Would rather see him at Sky than those, but Quickstep would be best. Interesting to hear about Leukemans + co.

Can't wait to hear where he ends up.

Will all of those teams have 4+ spaces for next year?

BMC just have to drop some donkeys next year :p

Ricco: "I preferred to start from the bottom to get involved"

Given the many incorrect claims published today, I would like to clarify my position on the athlete on Monday May 30 I have reached an agreement with the Continental Team Meridiana. In accordance with the staff of the management team we decided to spread the word only today. I chose to start from the bottom to get involved and give a sign of humility. In this period we have continued to allemnarmi with dedication and I think he was ready to return to good standing. I repeat that I do not have to apologize to anyone and I have to confess anything to anyone, because I have not been guilty of any crime. The people around me, I trusted people, myself were the only neighbors in the most dramatic moments of my life. Since they do not separate me and no one can do to constricting . I'm the same Ricco as always, and I preferred Giallorenzo Antonio for this: I do not put constraints and I accepted with enthusiasm and without any ifs and buts. " These are the words of Riccardo Ricco, just signed a new contract with Team Meridiana. The return to racing for the "Cobra" Formigine is scheduled for the Tour of Serbia scheduled June 16 to 19.
The Press Officer

http://www.cyclingworld.it/en/compo...are-dal-basso-per-mettermi-in-giocoq#comments

El Pistolero said:
Cool, I'd love to see him in the national jersey on the road. Don't have a clue of the course though.

Course is in Castellón.

"Igualmente se está avanzando en los recorridos. Respecto a la prueba profesional, se saldrá desde el Aeropuerto de Castellón para llegar a Borriol y, por La Coma, llegar a la capital, de allí se continuará hacia Almassora, Grao de Castellón, Benicàssim y ascenso al Desierto –este trazado se hará en tres ocasiones- y de allí a la calle Columbretes, donde estará, frente al Patronat d’Esports, instalada la línea de meta."

Looking at the area, looks like a small climb/descent between Borriol and Castellón, then looping around the coast on flat roads to Benicàssim. From there they will do three laps of a loop climbing into the national park Desert de les Palmes/Desierto de las Palmas, before descending back down to sea level and finishing in Oropesa del Mar. I don't know which direction they'll be climbing into the national park from or which road they will choose (there are a few) so I don't know how hard the climbing will be.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
At least there's climbing in it, good to hear. Unlike my country's national event. Been a while since we've seen a GT contender in their national jersey- Schlecks don't count because I say so :p

El Pistolero said:
At least there's climbing in it, good to hear. Unlike my country's national event. Been a while since we've seen a GT contender in their national jersey- Schlecks don't count because I say so :p

I assume you're meaning RR jersey (since the likes of Contador have had TT jerseys lately).

In which case:
Alejandro Valverde (Spain, 2008) and Levi Leipheimer (USA, 2007) being the last ones I reckon.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
Ricco: "I preferred to start from the bottom to get involved"

Given the many incorrect claims published today, I would like to clarify my position on the athlete on Monday May 30 I have reached an agreement with the Continental Team Meridiana. In accordance with the staff of the management team we decided to spread the word only today. I chose to start from the bottom to get involved and give a sign of humility. In this period we have continued to allemnarmi with dedication and I think he was ready to return to good standing. I repeat that I do not have to apologize to anyone and I have to confess anything to anyone, because I have not been guilty of any crime. The people around me, I trusted people, myself were the only neighbors in the most dramatic moments of my life. Since they do not separate me and no one can do to constricting . I'm the same Ricco as always, and I preferred Giallorenzo Antonio for this: I do not put constraints and I accepted with enthusiasm and without any ifs and buts. " These are the words of Riccardo Ricco, just signed a new contract with Team Meridiana. The return to racing for the "Cobra" Formigine is scheduled for the Tour of Serbia scheduled June 16 to 19.

ugh. Nothing has changed it seems.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

- He's most impressed by BMC offer- He wants Vanendert, Jurgen van de Walle and Leukemans with him. The team that buys him will be forced to buy out Leukemans at Vacan

I just wet myself:p. I doubt he'll go to BMC as firstly they have made it clear that Evans and Van avermaet are their leaders for the Ardennes + GVA and PG don't get along.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I just wet myself:p. I doubt he'll go to BMC as firstly they have made it clear that Evans and Van avermaet are their leaders for the Ardennes + GVA and PG don't get along.

I doubt they'd rather have GVA as their leader for LBL and Cuddles+Gilbert can work perfectly together as shown in the past.

GVA and Gilbert actually do get along on a personal level. It's Leukemans and GVA who don't get along.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I doubt they'd rather have GVA as their leader for LBL and Cuddles+Gilbert can work perfectly together as shown in the past.

GVA and Gilbert actually do get along on a personal level. It's Leukemans and GVA who don't get along.

GVA said that he and Gilbert had to put their differences aside at the worlds and work for the best for the team at the worlds last year. I am pretty sure it is well known that they don't get along.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Ne, he is not imagining things. Van Avermaet and Gilbert couldn't stand each other last year, but as the season progressed, they got along better (at least, they claimed they did before the world championship).

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Lanark said:
Ne, he is not imagining things. Van Avermaet and Gilbert couldn't stand each other last year, but as the season progressed, they got along better (at least, they claimed they did before the world championship).
Thanks, I was sure that they didn't get along.

btw, thanks for posting the finish to st3 of the Tour of belgium El pisterlero as I couldn't find that anywhere.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Woah there, I thought Kreuziger went to Astana for a change of scenery and to get out of the shadow of Nibali and Basso. But I suppose they would want Scarponi for the Giro and leave Kreuziger for the Tour. I assume if Scarponi sat out the Tour then he could back up for the Vuelta.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
if i was a betting man, i'd bet this is nibali rather than scarponi - a longer bet on having the man for the several giros to come.

looks too much like vino's calculating mind even before he became the general manager. kreuziger for the tour.

it will be scarponi because lampre will get rid of the veterans to make room for fresh crazy blood like ulissi.i guess if vino will really retire,the changes in astana team will be serious.

my bet is that both kash and michele will sign with astana in 2012.kreuziger can leave.

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hasn't Nibali signed a two year contract with Liquigas last year? I seem to recall something like that, him and Basso both resigning.. Not entirely sure though. I wonder why he would want to leave Liquigas anyway, Basso won't last much longer and once he retires Nibali will be the sole leader of one of the absolute strongest GT teams.

Scarponi would make more sense imo, though he too seems at his place at Lampre. At least this way he wouldn't have to share his team with a sprinter any more, although how long that sprinter will be competitive is questionable as well.

TRENDING THREADS