• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 109 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
He disrespected the race the way he worded it. That's the issue.

Didn't you hate Contador because his interviews were filled with lies? Well, the Giro is a waste of time, so he isn't lying this time. I don't find it disrespectful when saying you're never going to enter the Giro again by the way. Let's be honest here, the tifosi treated him like crap even if he was the biggest gentleman of the peloton there.

Fus087 said:
In an interview on Danish TV, Contador said the exact opposite.
When asked whether he regrets having ridden the Giro, he shook his head and said (possibly paraphrasing): "No. I will never change my schedule just for the Tour. I've won the Giro, Catalunya, Murcia... I'll never change my season just for the Tour."

When was this?

El Pistolero said:
Didn't you hate Contador because his interviews were filled with lies? Well, the Giro is a waste of time, so he isn't lying this time.

lol, thats not what you were saying in May sunshine. Contador does lie all the time, which is his main fault. Which makes it all the more amazing that he wouldnt be able to just keep his mouth shut and lie if needbe say that the Giro is also an important race rather than insulting it.

But it seems to me if Contador or Gilbert focused their season around the Sun Tour you would be talking about how great a race it is. You are one of the few posters that is hear year round, even during the winter, and the second Contador says the Tour is all that matters, your the first to say "Giro is a waste of time"

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
When was this?

Lieve van Gils also asked Contador if he regrets of having done the Giro and he replied with a simple no.

I think some of you guys misunderstood him. He doesn't regret having done it this year, but doesn't want to ride it anymore after this. Can't blame him after this Giro... He's won the hardest one of them all in dominating fashion. There's no glory to be found for him in Italy anymore.

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone

Probably geo locked. If not then scroll down a little and you'll see the correct vid.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
When was this?

lol, thats not what you were saying in May sunshine. Contador does lie all the time, which is his main fault. Which makes it all the more amazing that he wouldnt be able to just keep his mouth shut and lie if needbe say that the Giro is also an important race rather than insulting it.

But it seems to me if Contador or Gilbert focused their season around the Sun Tour you would be talking about how great a race it is. You are one of the few posters that is hear year round, even during the winter, and the second Contador says the Tour is all that matters, your the first to say "Giro is a waste of time"

It is a waste of time for him cause he already won it twice. What would be the point of a third victory? If he was good enough to do the double it would be worth it, but he's not good enough, so it's a waste of time for him. No offence to the Giro, but it's true. And I never thought Contador was going to start the Tour in May ;)

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
When was this?

Here is the link: http://tv2sport.dk/node/81995

"He has no regrets that he did attempt to win the rare double.
- No, no, no. I would not change anything in relation to preparations for the Tour. I know that if you drive the Giro, so it becomes harder to win the Tour. I know.

- But I have been happy to ride both the Giro, Tour of Catalonia and the Vuelta a Castilla y León and would not change anything, he says."

what is all this fuss about?

the guy failed to pull the double and prolly thinks its not worth the risk of keep losing the tour after winning the giro just to try for the double. and he is right.
are we suppose to pretend that winning the giro is more important then winning the tour just cus as a race we prefer the giro?

people everywhere are saying that contador didn't won this years tour because he wasn't doping like last year. if you try to tell those people that he wasn't in top shape because of the giro they won't even listen. and thats a fact.

and i didn't see any lack of respect he just said he won't ride the giro again . . . or was he supposed to pretend that he wants to ride the giro again to please us?

Parrulo said:
what is all this fuss about?

the guy failed to pull the double and prolly thinks its not worth the risk of keep losing the tour after winning the giro just to try for the double. and he is right.
are we suppose to pretend that winning the giro is more important then winning the tour just cus as a race we prefer the giro?

people everywhere are saying that contador didn't won this years tour because he wasn't doping like last year. if you try to tell those people that he wasn't in top shape because of the giro they won't even listen. and thats a fact.

and i didn't see any lack of respect he just said he won't ride the giro again . . . or was he supposed to pretend that he wants to ride the giro again to please us?

Say nothing. The way it came out it was like he blamed the Giro for hurting his Tour and because it has wronged him he will never ride it again.

Take that, Giro.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Besides cyclingnews (which is obviously the best), what are other good websites that have good articles on cycling?
Is there a thread about this topic already?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
It is a waste of time for him cause he already won it twice. What would be the point of a third victory? If he was good enough to do the double it would be worth it, but he's not good enough, so it's a waste of time for him. No offence to the Giro, but it's true. And I never thought Contador was going to start the Tour in May ;)

Well he has won the tour 3 times, so by your logic he shouldn't ride that either.

anyway I guess ac was just blunt. He has the right to priortise what ever race he wants. Probably better off saying nothing tho.

El Pistolero said:
Didn't you hate Contador because his interviews were filled with lies? Well, the Giro is a waste of time, so he isn't lying this time. I don't find it disrespectful when saying you're never going to enter the Giro again by the way.
You think lies are the same as tact and courtesy?
Parrulo said:
doesn't look like he is mad at the giro at all . . .
No, he's not mad at the Giro, he just said plainly it's not worth its time. Sure, the Tour is the most important race and you want to win it then you probably shouldn't do the Giro, but this is like having sex with a woman, and the next morning, when she asks if you're going to call her, you say "Nope. Never ever".

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Well he has won the tour 3 times, so by your logic he shouldn't ride that either.

anyway I guess ac was just blunt. He has the right to priortise what ever race he wants. Probably better off saying nothing tho.

But the Tour is the most important, and the Giro is not.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
You think lies are the same as tact and courtesy?

No, he's not mad at the Giro, he just said plainly it's not worth its time. Sure, the Tour is the most important race and you want to win it then you probably shouldn't do the Giro, but this is like having sex with a woman, and the next morning, when she asks if you're going to call her, you say "Nope. Never ever".

If anyone showed tact and courtesy during the Giro it was Contador. If anyone didn't show it, it were the Italian tifosi. They didn't respect him, please don't ask for him to respect their national race then. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

El Pistolero said:
If anyone showed tact and courtesy during the Giro it was Contador. If anyone didn't show it, it were the Italian tifosi. They didn't respect him, please don't ask for him to respect their national race then. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.
That's stupid. It's not the race of the tifosi, it's the race of RCS.

El Pistolero said:

He was only ever booed on stage 14 actually btw.

He hasnt been respected in any race hes done outside Spain this season. So saying hes skipping the Giro because they booed him there isnt a good explanation.

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

Clearly that's it, because the French were so much more respectful to him than the Italians. Damn Italians booed him. Such a travesty would never occur in France.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
He was only ever booed on stage 14 actually btw.

He hasnt been respected in any race hes done outside Spain this season. So saying hes skipping the Giro because they booed him there isnt a good explanation.

On every stage since stage 14 actually. Some fans even tried to hit him on some stages(after stage 14)

Rather get booed in France for the biggest win then getting booed in Italy for the second biggest win. And besides the team presentation the French public booed even less than the Italians...

TRENDING THREADS