• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 139 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have startlists for the teams for the African Cycling Championships?
It starts tomorrow with the TTT. ITT should be won by Teklehaimanot but the RR seems very flat and for some unknown reason there are no hills.

Eritrea squad
Daniel Teklehaymanot, Natnael Berhane, Dawit Haile, Frekalsi Debessay, Yonathan Mesfun, Berhane Melake, Michael Russom, Jani Tewolde, Tesfay Abrha, and Michael Tikue. Mr. Samson Solomon has been chosen to continue as the team’s coach.

Rwanda will be represented by six cyclists including one girl and they include; Adrien Niyonshuti, Gasore Hategeka, Nicodem Habiyambere, Obed Ruvogera, Joseph Bizumuremyi and Angelique Mukandekezi.

South Africa
Men:
Jaco Venter, Louis Meintjes, Reinardt Janse van Rensburg, Herman Fouche

Women:
Ashleigh Moolman Pasio, Cherise Taylor, Joanna van de Winkel, Robyn de Groot
Team Manager: Barry Austin
Mechanic and Masseur: TBC

36km Team trial for elite men and U-23 race
18 km Individual team trial for women and
36 km for men
146km road race for men
62km for women.

Rwanda aim for top 5 finish.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My bad :D....

Edit: not my bad
source

The riders will compete in three categories which include a 36km Team trial for elite men and U-23 race, 18 km Individual team trial for women and 36 km for men and finally a road race of 146km for men and 62km for women.
but still my bad.

The Hitch said:
A relay. The next rider starts from the point the rider before finishes.

Would work great if they had an straight flat section, an uphill section, a downhill section and then a techincal flat section at the end.

Make it very interesting.

That would actually be worth trying out. Great idea.

ramjambunath said:
Does anyone have startlists for the teams for the African Cycling Championships?
It starts tomorrow with the TTT. ITT should be won by Teklehaimanot but the RR seems very flat and for some unknown reason there are no hills.

Much more important: If Teklehaimanot wins the RR (or the ITT, for that matter), will he wear a Continental champion's jersey (I loved Craven's version in 2009) next year with GreenEdge? :D

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If Africa reaches its full potential, then I really see them dominating cycling (GTs definitely) like they do the marathons.

On that topic, two riders (amateurs) rode up the Alpe D'Huez in 2008 and Zakayo Ndebri, a shoe shiner, climbed it in 46 minutes on his first race attempt there. The next week he climbed the Alpe in 42'10" in a race. The other rider Samwel Mwangi (bicycle rickshaw rider) finished third in the race.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/2675597/Two-African-cyclists-ready-to-dominate-the-Tour-de-France-podium-Cycling.html

http://www.theafricancyclist.com/home.html

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Fus087 said:
That would actually be worth trying out. Great idea.

Much more important: If Teklehaimanot wins the RR (or the ITT, for that matter), will he wear a Continental champion's jersey (I loved Craven's version in 2009) next year with GreenEdge? :D

It is UCI Africa tour leader's jersey. It may be this, can't see him in any other distinct shirt
daniel-teklehaimanot.jpg

Teklehaimanot in an Eritrean team's kit looks better.
daniel_teklehaimanot.jpg

The first picture is the UCI Centre Mondiale du Cyclisme jersey, nothing to do with Africa as such.

I'm thinking of this:
1276756489Dan-Craven-.jpg

Craven's version in 2009, and he did wear this in European races.

Or this:
dsc3010_600.jpg

McLeod's version in 2010.

Since winning last year, I've only seen pictures of Teklehaimanot in the UCI Africa Tour leader's jersey (all white, just like the Europe Tour), or in the jerseys of Eritrea, the UCI CMC or African Continental Cycling Centre.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that.
It was a brain fart on my part to say he doesn't wear anything else (mainly because of a bad case of insomnia yesterday). Yes he does wear a white jersey but I haven't seen him wear those above.

He wore this in The Tropicale Amissa Bongo 2011 in Gabon as defending African continental champion and leader of the Africa tour at the time.
Daniel-T-Gabon.jpg

The ones above look better than this ****.

Wasn't there a problem early season when fans had problems with Voeckler when couldn't wear the French tricolours but had to wear the UCI Europe tour jersey? Maybe this is something similar and all the pics seem to be from the time he was leading the Africa tour (he came second eventually).

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
ramjambunath said:

Eritrea squad
Daniel Teklehaymanot, Natnael Berhane, Dawit Haile, Frekalsi Debessay, Yonathan Mesfun, Berhane Melake, Michael Russom, Jani Tewolde, Tesfay Abrha, and Michael Tikue. Mr. Samson Solomon has been chosen to continue as the team’s coach.

Rwanda will be represented by six cyclists including one girl and they include; Adrien Niyonshuti, Gasore Hategeka, Nicodem Habiyambere, Obed Ruvogera, Joseph Bizumuremyi and Angelique Mukandekezi.

South Africa
Men:
Jaco Venter, Louis Meintjes, Reinardt Janse van Rensburg, Herman Fouche

Women:
Ashleigh Moolman Pasio, Cherise Taylor, Joanna van de Winkel, Robyn de Groot
Team Manager: Barry Austin
Mechanic and Masseur: TBC

36km Team trial for elite men and U-23 race
18 km Individual team trial for women and
36 km for men
146km road race for men
62km for women.

Rwanda aim for top 5 finish.

Reinhardt Janse van Rensburg to win the RR. Teklehaimanot will probably win the TT although Reinhardt Janse van Rensburg might be a threat in that as well.

Luke Schmid said:
Reinhardt Janse van Rensburg to win the RR. Teklehaimanot will probably win the TT although Reinhardt Janse van Rensburg might be a threat in that as well.

Good call.
Berhane will also be one to watch (and Teklehaimanot too, of course), but Reinardt Janse van Rensburg must be the biggest favourite.
Looking forward to what he can do in Europe next year, with MTN coming over for several months of racing.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure Teklehaimanot will try and attack but if Reinhardt can get on his wheel he can easily outsprint Teklehaimanot. I don't think he can rely on his team to put him in a winning position.

And the results from the (men's) TTT this morning:
1 Eritrea
2 South Africa
3 Morocco
4 Algeria
5 Egypt
6 Rwanda

EDIT: Apparently on a flat course.
ramjambunath, do you have any information on the RR course? You wrote earlier it's supposed to be flat too. If it is, I don't see Teklehaimanot shaking off RJvR (we have to find a shorter nickname for him, by the way), try as he may.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
TTT went as expected.
I read it in two different articles, the organisers have been very lax about disseminating information and the media in covering it. I've been trying to get a course profile for 2 days now. If it is flat it would be dumb because Eritrea have decent puncheurs and climbers and good hills.

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
does anyone know what will happen on friday(11.11.2011) for sure?
the rumours about manolo saiz i mean...
i've heard something like ONCE will sponsor again a cycling team?can this awesome thing happen?what do you think?

Perhaps Saiz will join forces with Gianetti and Geox with become ONCE. Or perhaps not.

TRENDING THREADS