• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders General topic for riders who don't deserve their own thread (yet)

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A few interesting riders on the O Gran Camiño startlist, but the one I'm looking at specifically is Paul Magnier. His forte is on the mountain bike, but despite being very undercooked as a road racer, he has always impressed immensely whenever present. Not sure as to what his role is, because the also very talented Finlay Pickering is also on that Trinity squad, but looking forward to it regardless.

So the team was confident enough to have produced a white skinsuit for him, assuming that he would be top young rider after a first stage that would have been expected to go to a sprint. That is some level of cockiness. (I'm assuming the manufacture and distribution in less than 24 hours is implausible)

I think the skinsuit was made by the organizers, as it has the Alé brand who doesn't sponsor Ineos. They just did a bad job printing it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Juste après les Boucles Drôme Ardèche, il y aura le Trofeo Laigueglia, puis je disputerai le Tour de Catalogne qui est mon premier objectif en termes de pic de forme. En avril, je ferai Paris-Camembert, la Classic Grand Besançon, le Tour du Jura, le Tour du Doubs et le Tour de Romandie. Ensuite, je devrais normalement participer à la Mercan’Tour et au Critérium du Dauphiné.

Lenny's programme for the first half of the season. Looks great to me, constantly interchanging between WorldTour and ProTour races.

Apprarently Tiberi killed the cat and got away with a fine of 4000 euro's. He targetted the cat on purpose, but he wasn't aware that the air rifle he was shooting with could actually kill a cat. What a.....

I don‘t know much about Tiberi… This cat killing is a bad thing, clearly. Sometimes good people do bad stuff, for whatever reason. I don‘t know what went through his mind.

If he intended to hit the cat, he probably knew that it would hurt/injure, at least. Don‘t know why do this to an animal, which does not attack you.

Strange riders at Trek… Skjelmose beat another rider as a junior. Simmons‘ Twitter. Now Tiberi shooting at a cat with an air rifle.

You cannot explain everything. I‘ve been young, too. Sometimes you do crazy stuff. Pro cyclists have to be extreme, so behave extremely. Not always an apologize, but an explanation.

Sometimes they hurt themselves (Riis‘ 64% haematocrit, Pantani cocaine, penis injections [Olympic Games RR winner]), sometimes they show domestic violence, shoot around (VDB) or kill cats (now Tiberi). Extreme behaviour.

I don‘t know much about Tiberi… This cat killing is a bad thing, clearly. Sometimes good people do bad stuff, for whatever reason. I don‘t know what went through his mind.

If he intended to hit the cat, he probably knew that it would hurt/injure, at least. Don‘t know why do this to an animal, which does not attack you.

Strange riders at Trek… Skjelmose beat another rider as a junior. Simmons‘ Twitter. Now Tiberi shooting at a cat with an air rifle.

You cannot explain everything. I‘ve been young, too. Sometimes you do crazy stuff. Pro cyclists have to be extreme, so behave extremely. Not always an apologize, but an explanation.

Sometimes they hurt themselves (Riis‘ 64% haematocrit, Pantani cocaine, penis injections [Olympic Games RR winner]), sometimes they show domestic violence, shoot around (VDB) or kill cats (now Tiberi). Extreme behaviour.

I know you are only looking for an explanation, but
what does it have to do with young? I remember when my son went to primary school I once asked him why he didn't like a boy I thought was nice. He rolled his eyes and told me that boy had killed bugs for fun when they were hiking. He was not willing to be friends with that boy.

Also, this thing about being extreme or something... it often comes up in the discussion about athletes, but there are totally nice, very successful athletes. Also reminds me of a recent event in Germany, where a ballet choreographer threw dogshit on a critic, and people defended him with "oh artists, they are often a bit different/sensitive/extraordinary." Nope. Artists can be nice. Athletes can be. You don't have to be "extreme" as in ***.

He shot at a cat!! In the end he killed the cat, despite, as he said, having no intentions of kill the poor animal!! So may I ask, what was his purpose? To frighten the poor cat? To torture him? To have a few laughs?! The cat is dead!! But ok it's only a cat
I'll add that from now on I will pray in every single race he rides... Please don't let him win! Not a single one until the end of his professional career!

Reactions: steffr222
Gonna take this thread in a completely different direction now!
He doesn't have his own thread, but he just won a race, so without further ado:

Official Redhead Certification

I, RedheadDane, by the power invested in me, by me, hereby declare Milan Menten an officially certified redhead!

milan-menten-2023.jpeg

You may return to discussing the killing of cats now.

Interesting and strong rider - maybe someone for the WT or Pro Conti teams?

Wins every year, has a nice palmares already…

Reactions: Sandisfan

Interesting and strong rider - maybe someone for the WT or Pro Conti teams?

Wins every year, has a nice palmares already…

What's interesting about him? Is he a former show jumper?

Here's an interesting, in some ways horrifying, but also uplifting, article about former pro Geneviève Jeanson:

Trigger Warning: This article contains details that may affect those who have experienced physical or sexual abuse or know someone affected by it.

"Failing that drug test was the best thing that had ever happened to me" | Cycling Weekly
Thanks for sharing that. It was disgusting the way Canadians demonized her as though they were personally victimized by her doping and her trying to hide it. She actually came out with an honest admission sooner than most folks who get busted who forever deny, deny, deny.
so I’m glad to see articles like this make the context clearer. I hope some of those who chastised her are embarrassed about their comments ( but they probably won’t be).

Reactions: RedheadDane
Well, he‘s probably too fast to stay a CT rider… :)

I'm sure a few teams could use the 200 points he got from the African Championships. It's obviously not as easy for an African, and riders from other non-traditional cycling countries, to get a contract in Europe as it is for a European, so it can't be completely ruled out that he's better than his results give him credit for, but for now I'm not too convinced.

TRENDING THREADS