Teams & Riders General topic for riders who don't deserve their own thread (yet)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Does anyone know what Serge Pauwels is doing now?

His last appearance was Haut-Var back in February. I can't see him scheduled for any race to happen until the end of season. It's weird, because he is an experienced rider in a relatively weak team, so he could potentially deliver something, somewhere (even if his recent results were not impressive, to say the least). No official explanation of his absence was provided so far.

Injury or illness? Release out of contract (without making it official) and earlier retirement? Have no clue.

Sep 22, 2020
He was set to be patricipating at Ain and Dauphine but had to skip the races because of illness.

How is his recovery? I feel like he's been very inconsistent the past few years.
He was inconsistent as an u23, but that's not uncommon. But the past few years he had issues with his health and injuries. This year is finaly the first year we're seeing him in good health at the pros. So it's hard to tell. He was decent in Ruta del Sol and Tour de L'ain this year, but really it's anyone's guess.

His time trial is not so great, is it? So maybe go for stages instead of GC? But then, in this year's field, maybe GC and stages are both possible.
Not a great TTer. He spoke of possibly making te Youth Jersey a goal, but both Almeida and Mcnulty are much better TTers. On the other hand, he already leapfrogged Mcnulty yesterday. If he remains consistent he could still make up for the 5-10 minutes he loses in the time trials.

Lotto said they want to go for stagewins, but won't dismiss the option for him to ride a GC or Youth classification just yet. But it's still a long way to go. They'll asess the situation in a few days.

Last edited:
I have a bit of a weird question regarding the guy who was 9th in stage 17 of the Giro; what is his full name?

According to Wikipedia it's Amanuel Ghebreigzabhier Egerzeigzaarhka.
According to CyclingQuotiens it's Amanuel Werkilul Ghebreigzabhier.
Please don't tell me his full name is actually Amanuel Werkilul Ghebreigzabhier Egerzeigzaarhka, because that's mouthful. (But would definitely put him up there as the biggest name in this year's Giro.)

Reactions: Sandisfan
I have a bit of a weird question regarding the guy who was 9th in stage 17 of the Giro; what is his full name?

According to Wikipedia it's Amanuel Ghebreigzabhier Egerzeigzaarhka.
According to CyclingQuotiens it's Amanuel Werkilul Ghebreigzabhier.
Please don't tell me his full name is actually Amanuel Werkilul Ghebreigzabhier Egerzeigzaarhka, because that's mouthful. (But would definitely put him up there as the biggest name in this year's Giro.)
NTT's webpage and PCS say it's Amanuel Ghebreigzabhier.
Other sources i found say Amanuel Ghebreigzabhier Werkilul

Who knows. It's possible they are all correct. I also have multiple names in my first name, but i don't present myself that way, and they are not even on many official documents.

NTT's webpage and PCS say it's Amanuel Ghebreigzabhier.
Other sources i found say Amanuel Ghebreigzabhier Werkilul

Who knows. It's possible they are all correct. I also have multiple names in my first name, but i don't present myself that way, and they are not even on many official documents.
True, Amanuel Ghebreigzabhier Werkilul is another version I've seen around. I've actually been wondering about this for a while; seems all Eritreans have a "secondary surname" (except Berhane, apparently...), so I was just wondering if there had been a bit of false information in some sources.
As for the NTT homepage simply calling him Amanuel Ghebreigzabhier; I suppose it would make sense to use the name the rider mostly uses, and PCS seems to mostly use names from official team sources. Another example is Valgren, who is simply listed as, well, Michael Valgren, rather than Michael Valgren Hundahl, or - as some sites still call him - Michael Valgren Andersen.

True, Amanuel Ghebreigzabhier Werkilul is another version I've seen around. I've actually been wondering about this for a while; seems all Eritreans have a "secondary surname" (except Berhane, apparently...), so I was just wondering if there had been a bit of false information in some sources.
As for the NTT homepage simply calling him Amanuel Ghebreigzabhier; I suppose it would make sense to use the name the rider mostly uses, and PCS seems to mostly use names from official team sources. Another example is Valgren, who is simply listed as, well, Michael Valgren, rather than Michael Valgren Hundahl, or - as some sites still call him - Michael Valgren Andersen.
As far as I know, Eritreans (and also Ethiophians) don't use family names. It's common - but not mandatory - to have father's given name as some kind of middle name, and grandfather's given name as the last name. And their own given name can be constituted of more than one word, so sometimes they have really big names.
I might be wrong, that's just what I understood from an Eritrean friend several years ago, and naming convention can change with time.

ASK THE COMMUNITY