• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gent - Wevelgem: March 28th, 2021

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I still don't agree. When top riders outline their goals for a season, you often hear them say Strade. Rarely have I heard GW be a top priority for anyone other than maybe Viviani.
Cavendish made it a goal a few times I think.

GW is in my opinion the high point for pure sprinters in the Flanders races. I don't think it's the most exciting race though, it's a bit too sprinter heavy IMO.

I would say Gent-Wevelgem is among the top 5 races just because of the tactics and exciting racing.
It isn't close to anything else with the echelons and the location of the hill zone in the race. The last 30K are flat but those make, especially with some wind, for some of the most exciting and unpredictable racing that we have seen the last 10 years.

I would say it's often a better race (tactically) than Flanders, and while Strade is aesthetically beautfiful, it's getting more and more predictable as well. Both Strade and Flanders are just a bit too hard so they predictably filter out the weaker riders, and only the strongest few (less than 5) fight for the win. While many spectators like that, I find it often too predictable and thus boring. After a Flanders race, the conclusion is too often that the strongest rider won, after he duly attacked on one of the last 2 hills, while at Ghent-Wevelgem, because of the fast run to the finish, many more things can happen than the best guy winning. There is just much more food for thought. Maybe not necessarily this year, but just look at the edition Paolini won, or the one with Sagan and Terpstra freewheeling letting GvA go, or last year with Mads Pedersen winning while WvA and MvdP cancelled eachother. Even this year, with a logical outcome (WvA winning), nothing was too sure until the finish, and the way Bennett got dropped is one of those moments you won't forget. And if they had broadcast the whole thing, I am sure I would have sat out the whole 6 hours watching the race.

Interesting post and I appreciate your perspective. You make very good points about the tactics and the excitement of GW. And make no mistake, it's a great race.

I think we'd all agree there's a difference between most interesting and most prestigious, and I think the original comments were more about the latter. I think races in which the strongest usually win tend to be the most prestigious, as they're the most selective, and most of the monuments fall into this category.

Strade is difficult, selective as all heck, and is unique in terms of not just the beauty, but the parcours itself. And the list of winners is on par with any race, particularly with such a short history. But I think for almost all the riders, Strade is a bigger win than GW.

I think cyclists are also more inclined to think of Strade Bianchi due to its unique nature and unique place on the calendar. Many of them would also say that they would like to win an ardennes classic without specifying FW or AGR. The same could be said about a race like GW. Plenty of cyclists would like to win it but it is simply lumped in with wanting to win a cobbled classic.

Reactions: red_flanders
Judged by the past few years, UAE Tour is more prestigious than Tour de Suisse then.

Maybe history matters though.
Can you explain why?

Suisse is an important warmup for the Tour, and a lot of top riders on form compete for it every year. It has multiple huge climbs, great scenery and is a major test for the Tour contenders. It's generally a nine day race, run in June, since 1933. Yes, history matters, but it's not everything.

UAE is an early-season stage race created to extend the season, promote a sponsor, and expand the footprint of cycling beyond Europe. It has a strong list of winners (3). Mostly riders are not near top form for the race, it's just way too early. But it's definitely become a major race. Does anyone else think it's eclipsed the Tour du Suisse after 3 years?

Last edited:
Reactions: OlavEH
Can you explain why?

Suisse is an important warmup for the Tour, and a lot of top riders on form compete for it every year. It has multiple huge climbs, great scenery and is a major test for the Tour contenders. It's generally a nine day race, run in June, since 1933. Yes, history matters, but it's not everything.

UAE is an early-season stage race created to extend the season, promote a sponsor, and expand the footprint of cycling beyond Europe. It has a strong list of winners (3). Mostly riders are not near top form for the race, it's just way too early. But it's definitely become a major race. Does anyone else think it's eclipsed the Tour du Suisse after 3 years?
I thought that was Netserk’s point; if you just go by which races riders target during the last 2-3 seasons, that doesn’t necessarily mean a race has more meaning for a particular rider. It might mean it happens to fit their season schedule and correspond to their skills and a team’s needs.

I would think a rider’s country of origin would also shape their view of the importance of a race. Winning G-W might be a bigger deal to a Belgian rider than one from, say, Eastern Europe. But I sure there are many exceptions, which Um sure someone will point out!

Reactions: Luthor
Agreed. It is one week before Strade.

G–W has a calendar spot more comparable to that of Suisse.
The stage racing calendar is different than the classics calendar, so UAE is a very early season stage race, where Strade is a race top classics riders can ride in a high level of form, some in top form. No one who is competing in major stage races during the year is in top form for UAE.

GW is a big race but it's still a preview race for the Ronde. Strade is a race which stands on its own.

It is no more a preview race than Amstel is. E3 is though.

And the top contenders are in top form, or at least as close to as classics riders are, for UAE (and especially P–N and T–A), so I don’t buy that the calendar spot is only negative for UAE. It’s easier to have an early peak first in the season than stretching your peak from Strade to Liège.

If Strade mattered so much, why did van Aert not prepare better for it? He came immediately from a training camp and had no race rhythm. It didn’t really seem like his third most important race here in the spring.

G–W has iconic terrain as well, it doesn’t borrow bergs from RvV. It is the classic most defined by wind of all.

You mentioned Suisse’s duration in its favour, and that matters too. Generally, the oldest and most prestigious races are also the longest.

I’m not arguing that it is set in stone — it’s anachronistic to claim Flèche is more prestigious than Amstel (see Echoes). A decade ago (or at least 13 years ago) I would probably have ranked Paris–Tours over Gent–Wevelgem. The latter has definitely (re-)gained prestige after getting its Sunday spot and its full distance. And Strade sure is mature for a more prominent spot in the calendar.

Agree with @Netserk here. History matters.
To me Gent - Wevelgem is still a more prestigious race than Strade Bianche. It is the closest thing to a Monument I can think of. Also, it has very distinctive features, so I never look at it as a rehearsal for De Ronde or Paris - Roubaix. It's a unique race.

There's no doubt Strade will get there, sooner or later, but it takes some more time.

Reactions: Sandisfan

And the top contenders are in top form, or at least as close to as classics riders are, for UAE (and especially P–N and T–A), so I don’t buy that the calendar spot is only negative for UAE. It’s easier to have an early peak first in the season than stretching your peak from Strade to Liège.

If Strade mattered so much, why did van Aert not prepare better for it? He came immediately from a training camp and had no race rhythm. It didn’t really seem like his third most important race here in the spring.

If GW mattered so much, why didn't Van der Poel ride it?

It’s a bit funny. The narrow set of riders who can win it and the relatively few star riders who start would imply that Paris–Roubaix is the least, or fourth most, prestigious monument.

In 2019 MvdP rode Amstel instead of Roubaix. Important detail.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

GW is skipped more often than Amstel by contenders for the following classics. Calendar spot doesn't make a race more important. The Worlds and Il Lombardia aren't 2nd/3rd rate races.

TRENDING THREADS