• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gent - Wevelgem: October 11th, 2020

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cmon, Van Aert is the best bike rider in the world atm. Obviously MVDP is going to mark him.

This is what's so great about cycling. Arguably the two strongest in a race finish 8th and 9th in a group of 9.
You can watch him, chase him back, but if you don't help him chase 3-4 guys getting away in the last 2 km, you're not going to win. Thus, MVDP made sure neither he nor WVA won.

It's also a stupid tactic when there are that many world class riders in that group. It wasn't between him and Van Aert. Pedersen was at least as big as a favourite.

Cmon, Van Aert is the best bike rider in the world atm. Obviously MVDP is going to mark him.

This is what's so great about cycling. Arguably the two strongest in a race finish 8th and 9th in a group of 9.

There‘s marking an opponent and then there’s letting a race disappear because you are obsessively marking one opponent. MVDP of all people should have more confidence in his own abilities. You can’t get a clearer cut throwing the race away moment than when WVA tried a last gasp chase and MVDP sat in his wheel and refused to help.

Wout polite but very clear in his post-race reaction.

"Unfortunately there was one specific rider always on my wheel. I responded to a lot of attacks, but can't bring them back every time. It's like he forgot that I already won some big races this year and have the right to start playing the gamble game to save something for my sprint. Now we both have nothing today. Shame, because I had very good legs and would've loved to add this race to my palmares."

There‘s marking an opponent and then there’s letting a race disappear because you are obsessively marking one opponent. MVDP of all people should have more confidence in his own abilities. You can’t get a clearer cut throwing the race away moment than when WVA tried a last gasp chase and MVDP sat in his wheel and refused to help.

I don't disagree. I was just stating that it's very logical that MVDP reacts every time Van Aert makes a move.

For sure it wasn't the smartest finale he has ridden, not because he heavily marked Van Aert but because he reacted too late on two occassions and had to close a way bigger gap than necessary. From that point, he was dead.

Wout polite but very clear in his post-race reaction.

"Unfortunately there was one specific rider always on my wheel. I responded to a lot of attacks, but can't bring them back every time. It's like he forgot that I already won some big races this year and have the right to start playing the gamble game to save something for my sprint. Now we both have nothing today. Shame, because I had very good legs and would've loved to add this race to my palmares."

I can’t say I blame him for being a bit snide. It’s one thing getting Saganned when you are a Sagan, it’s another getting Saganned by a Sagan.