• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gent - Wevelgem, WT, Sunday March 27th

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kwibus said:
I'm reading posts saying Stybar is off-form....
Wait a minute... When has Stybar ever done better then what he is showing this year? (Cobbled races) oh he hasn't...

Only in P-R he has been able to barely hang onto the wheel of the best.

Last year he was part of the winning move in E3 when he followed Thomas and Sagan when the race shattered on one of the last cobbled climbs.

But he does indeed seem to enjoy the flat paves of Paris-Roubaix more.

Bushman said:
Kwibus said:
Wait a minute... When has Stybar ever done better then what he is showing this year? (Cobbled races) oh he hasn't...

Last year he was part of the winning move in E3 when he followed Thomas and Sagan when the race shattered on one of the last cobbled climbs.

Stybar prefers the hard cobbles of Paris Roubaix. After all he is a cyclocross rider.

Brullnux said:
Bushman said:
Kwibus said:

Stybar prefers the hard cobbles of Paris Roubaix. After all he is a cyclocross rider.

I would think that as a cyclocross rider he should like the cobbled hills as well, as there are lots of short, steep climbs in mud and dirt in cyclocross. What do I know

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Brullnux said:
Bushman said:
Kwibus said:

His chance is RVV, at Roubaix he will play 3rd role behind Boonen and Terpstra

Bushman said:
Brullnux said:
Bushman said:
Kwibus said:

I would think that as a cyclocross rider he should like the cobbled hills as well, as there are lots of short, steep climbs in mud and dirt in cyclocross. What do I know

Stybar should go equally well (or even better) on the hills indeed.

Gigs_98 said:
I feel kind of sorry for Etixx. They have by far the strongest team for the classics (6 men in the chasing group. WTH?) but nobody strong enough to follow the big attacks. So the only thing they can do is chasing, over and over again.
Everytime I have the feeling though that Terpstra is strong enough. But in the E3 was surprised and by the time he got to the front of the group it was way too late. And in GW he started the Kemmelberg in the back of the group and got to the top as 10th or something. He's just not aware.
Boonen seems to be not as strong as before. Stybar is really close and might still improve in a weeks time. I still think Terpstra and Stybar should be able to follow the coming 2 weeks. Boonen might still do well in Roubaix, but doesn't have the raw explositivity anymore needed for flanders

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Everytime I have the feeling though that Terpstra is strong enough. But in the E3 was surprised and by the time he got to the front of the group it was way too late. And in GW he started the Kemmelberg in the back of the group and got to the top as 10th or something. He's just not aware.
Boonen seems to be not as strong as before. Stybar is really close and might still improve in a weeks time. I still think Terpstra and Stybar should be able to follow the coming 2 weeks. Boonen might still do well in Roubaix, but doesn't have the raw explositivity anymore needed for flanders
Well, he ain't going to win any races like this, is he?

How did Luke Rowe miss out on being in the final selection he crossed the top of the climb last of the bunch of 5 with Sagan and Cancellara at the front of that group and seemed to lose touch by the bottom, I went for a cup of tea at that point and missed out on what happened?

Flamin said:
Bushman said:
Brullnux said:
Bushman said:
Kwibus said:

Stybar should go equally well (or even better) on the hills indeed.

Indeed he is pretty good on hills too. But I was saying how hard cobbles will suit his bike skills. I was mainly talking about the cobbles, rather than the parcours. I reckon a hilly race with hard cobbles is the best for him. Maybe like Strade Bianche. He does seem to lack explosiveness I feel sometimes.

Re:

Inquitus said:
How did Luke Rowe miss out on being in the final selection he crossed the top of the climb last of the bunch of 5 with Sagan and Cancellara at the front of that group and seemed to lose touch by the bottom, I went for a cup of tea at that point and missed out on what happened?

Rowe's group never quite tagged on to the Sagan, Cancellara, Vanmarcke group. There was a gap of a few seconds at the bottom of the descent and then Sagan et al. pulled away and Rowe's group gave up and backed into the peloton.

Re:

Inquitus said:

Sagan and Cancellara had a small gap (albeit a tiny one) coming over the top of Kemmelberg, and Rowe was amongst Stybar, Van Avermaet and Vanmarcke, only the latter was able to bridge before hitting the flatter parts :)

TRENDING THREADS