• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gent Wevelgem

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
TRDean said:
WTF!! You got to be kidding here...you are right..he didn't deserve to get 2nd...he EARNED 2nd place!! A young guy, on a pro continental team, no other teamates...you do what you have to to get the podium!! What do you think he should have done...rode on the front for the final 10K so as to impress you?? Lest you forget...the object is to win or podium...and you can do this by being superior on the bike or by using your head. Congratulations to Sep Vanmarcke...GREAT ride young man!!

Honestly, without cramps I think he could have made it to the finish when he attacked at 3km to go. Roelandts couldn't close the gap. So who else should, knowing there are 2 rather fast Lotto's in the group?

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
il_fiammingo said:
Honestly, without cramps I think he could have made it to the finish when he attacked at 3km to go. Roelandts couldn't close the gap. So who else should, knowing there are 2 rather fast Lotto's in the group?

Didn't extend the lead either as far as I could see, so I'm not sure he could have held.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Am I the only one who's got a timer on their desktop counting down the seconds to the Ronde?

Anyone?

OK, just me, then.

I'm wondering how Scott Socal is doing right now. He is riding the full distance (I'm not joking, he would of earnt every one of the those Belgian beers), whilst elapid is doing the short 75km (and I'm sure as hell not easy) course.

Respect.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I'm wondering how Scott Socal is doing right now. He is riding the full distance (I'm not joking, he would of earnt every one of the those Belgian beers), whilst elapid is doing the short 75km (and I'm sure as hell not easy) course.

Respect.

I think Elapid will be doing some climbs on foot. There are way too many people for the 75 and 140km which makes it almost impossible to stay on the bike on e.g. the 20% slope of the Muur.

The guys of the 260km normally arrive a little later and won't be bothered too much.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
il_fiammingo said:
I think Elapid will be doing some climbs on foot. There are way too many people for the 75 and 140km which makes it almost impossible to stay on the bike on e.g. the 20% slope of the Muur.

The guys of the 260km normally arrive a little later and won't be bothered too much.

Not to mention they don't care so much about "being ahead" like the overenthusiastic people doing the shorter versions are. They tend to "just" want to finish, not caring how fast they go up the climbs.

Respect indeed.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:

Respect.

:confused:What are they doing?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Do you have any news concerning Ballan perhaps? I would really hate to see him miss out on the action next week. I love that guy :)
auscyclefan94 said:
Auscyclefan94 will do some research for akzaaf:)

Couldn't find any comments. Ballan and kroon are riding 3 days de panne to get some form. According to the bmc site they will be riding for form and either to win a stage or podium.

Hopefully they can, esp. ballan. If on form he could be very dangerous in Rvv as it is the cobbled classics which suits him the most. He can climb or go up the real steep cobbled climbs defintly better than FC and on par with TB IMO.

A

Anonymous

dissapointed with the race. Not pleased with the move to the sunday.
Blog just uploaded from neil over at teamskyfans. He was on the kemmelberg and said a lot of fans left by the second go around. Worst atmosphere in all the times hes been (about 5 or 6 i beleive)

blog

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Couldn't find any comments. Ballan and kroon are riding 3 days de panne to get some form. According to the bmc site they will be riding for form and either to win a stage or podium.

Hopefully they can, esp. ballan. If on form he could be very dangerous in Rvv as it is the cobbled classics which suits him the most. He can climb or go up the real steep cobbled climbs defintly better than FC and on par with TB IMO.

If Ballan is anywhere near his best shape he should automatically top-5 in De Panne if he's going for a gc placing. If not he's not going to be there sunday. Kroon can only contend in Vlaanderen if he's in his best shape and everything goes right for him. Both will not happen this year.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
If Ballan is anywhere near his best shape he should automatically top-5 in De Panne if he's going for a gc placing. If not he's not going to be there sunday. Kroon can only contend in Vlaanderen if he's in his best shape and everything goes right for him. Both will not happen this year.

They'd both want to at least do something there. Ballan is going really bad and would want to find some form. he should do alright. Can kroon tt? He might a reasonable bet. I think just getting some more km's in the legs for ballan is a good start for him at the moment. Hopefully he can do something in de Ronde and/or PR. If they can also get burghardt going then they will be a dangerous team for the classics.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
dissapointed with the race. Not pleased with the move to the sunday.
Blog just uploaded from neil over at teamskyfans. He was on the kemmelberg and said a lot of fans left by the second go around. Worst atmosphere in all the times hes been (about 5 or 6 i beleive)

blog

I'm quite pleased with the move to sunday. It was a pity to see the RVV & PR favourites use the race as a training when it was still on Wednesday. A race with such a history does not deserve that. However with the E3 on Saturday, things haven't really changed.
The moment E3 moves to Wednesday before the Ronde, there will be a great field of riders giving it all to win GW. The new parcours showed it has become really challenging and the chances of a buch sprint have dramatically decreased.