• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

wirral said:
rlntlssly said:
GuyIncognito said:
It's Thomas. He's spent his entire Sky career saying he's definitely leaving, just to get a pay rise. He's done it every single contract renewal.

If he does finally leave it's because Sky have finally wised up to him.
You present this as if it's a bad thing. Surely it's just unremarkable negotiating tactics, common in many industries, let alone sports...

I don't read GuyIncognito's post as judgemental, good or bad. I read it as, "Don't read too much into G's comments."
Fair enough -- that's not how it reads to me. Apologies if I misinterpreted.

Re: Re:

wirral said:
rlntlssly said:
GuyIncognito said:
It's Thomas. He's spent his entire Sky career saying he's definitely leaving, just to get a pay rise. He's done it every single contract renewal.

If he does finally leave it's because Sky have finally wised up to him.
You present this as if it's a bad thing. Surely it's just unremarkable negotiating tactics, common in many industries, let alone sports...

I don't read GuyIncognito's post as judgemental, good or bad. I read it as, "Don't read too much into G's comments."

That's how I meant it.

Re:

del1962 said:
Pinches a second today

Pete Kenaugh on ITV4 hoping for great perfomances from G and Adam Yates, did he fall out with Froome?

Came through the ranks with G and know the yates twins from local competetion ...of course he will pick them
Froome never really rode his bike in UK...never does the nationals or ToB or anything of the same
Froome is an outsider really ...in more ways than one

What is Sky's current hierarchy? Will GT have carte blance on the cobbles or will he be regulated to shepherding Froome safely through? Recent history has shown us that riders will generally acquiesce to team orders. That said we can never rule out a dissatisfied rider pulling a Kreuziger!

The Tour couldn't have gone better for G so far. He has time over all of the other teams' GC riders, his team have barely done any work (and are unlikely to have to defend yellow for a while yet) and, most importantly, has a nice little cushion over Froome. It will be interesting to see, if a situation arises on stage 9, how the key resources of Rowe, Kwiato and Moscon will be split.

Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
What is Sky's current hierarchy? Will GT have carte blance on the cobbles or will he be regulated to shepherding Froome safely through? Recent history has shown us that riders will generally acquiesce to team orders. That said we can never rule out a dissatisfied rider pulling a Kreuziger!
The same kind of as it was in TdF 2012.

This is really going to be interesting. Thomas couldn't be better placed right now. I still don't think being in yellow this early benefits you.

Assuming that Froome loses no more significant time to Thomas, how will he claw back time in the three Alps stages? The Alpe d"Huez stage looks like the one that will make or break almost everyone's hopes. Anyone who blows on Croix de Fer will be 10 minutes down, minimum, by the top of AdH. Would Froome attack Thomas at that point, if he's still a minute back? I think he would.

Obviously, lots of things can happen between now and then.

Can anyone explain to me why Geraint Thomas insists on looking like a 90’s school kid on the bike? It actually makes me dislike him a bit just because of his terrible choice in eyewear and the extreme helmet gap he sports. It reminds me of the guy from the “pretty fly for a white guy” video:p I mean, how can he not notice this? It’s impossible to win a grand tour with such horrid style! (He’s too nice of a guy to win a GT anyways though)

Thomas will not go rogue. The decision to elevate him will be made by Sir Dave, if circumstances require it. Thomas will be a Captain next year, somewhere, no matter whether he drags Froome to the top or is freed up in the mountains to ride on his own and does well in the final GC. He's not a Kreuziger!

Re:

Frihed89 said:
Thomas will not go rogue. The decision to elevate him will be made by Sir Dave, if circumstances require it. Thomas will be a Captain next year, somewhere, no matter whether he drags Froome to the top or is freed up in the mountains to ride on his own and does well in the final GC. He's not a Kreuziger!

if Thomas leaves Sky then it doesn't matter. The new team dynamic won't involve such a strong group of riders to compete for leadership with anyway.