Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 12, 2018
315
0
0
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
He should have left Sky a long time ago if he wanted to win the TDF but salary/environment may not have been met at other teams
He was never strong enough to win the Tour to date, not once, he is looking by far in best shape this year and he likely is not gonna win anyway.
 
May 31, 2016
12
0
0
Re:

Frihed89 said:
Thomas will not go rogue. The decision to elevate him will be made by Sir Dave, if circumstances require it. Thomas will be a Captain next year, somewhere, no matter whether he drags Froome to the top or is freed up in the mountains to ride on his own and does well in the final GC. He's not a Kreuziger!
I don't think he can go rogue. If he's in a group ahead he'll go for it, that what he's said all along. It'd be interesting though if Froome is in the group behind and has Sky riders to chase. On the one hand they'll be chasing one of their own but on the other he's in a perfect position to just shrug and says, "sorry guys, can't work with you" and conserves his energy for the end.

The dream scenario for him is to put over a minute into some big rivals tomorrow and then ride defensively through the mountains. Pity it's not raining tomorrow though.

Those that say he's never looked like winning miss the times when he's had bad luck (unless you're taking his bad luck into account :) ) or had to work for others. I think he would have run Dumoulin close in the Giro last year and I can see him making the podium from here.
 
Re: Re:

MuskyOurSaviour said:
IndianCyclist said:
He should have left Sky a long time ago if he wanted to win the TDF but salary/environment may not have been met at other teams
He was never strong enough to win the Tour to date, not once, he is looking by far in best shape this year and he likely is not gonna win anyway.
Regardless how he looks I will be very, very surprised if he manages even top 10. Thomas has never finished higher than 15th in a Grand Tour. He can do one-off great mountain stages but simply does not have the required recovery. If he truly had the ability all this hype suggests than at 32 years of age we would have seen it already.
 
Re: Re:

Cookster15 said:
MuskyOurSaviour said:
IndianCyclist said:
He should have left Sky a long time ago if he wanted to win the TDF but salary/environment may not have been met at other teams
He was never strong enough to win the Tour to date, not once, he is looking by far in best shape this year and he likely is not gonna win anyway.
Regardless how he looks I will be very, very surprised if he manages even top 10. Thomas has never finished higher than 15th in a Grand Tour. He can do one-off great mountain stages but simply does not have the required recovery. If he truly had the ability all this hype suggests than at 32 years of age we would have seen it already.
He was fourth on GC, 18 stages in 2015. Why is it so unthinkable that after having worked specifically to become a Grand Tour rider (which he hadn't done before that, mind) he shouldn't be able to last the extra two days?
 
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Cookster15 said:
Regardless how he looks I will be very, very surprised if he manages even top 10. Thomas has never finished higher than 15th in a Grand Tour. He can do one-off great mountain stages but simply does not have the required recovery. If he truly had the ability all this hype suggests than at 32 years of age we would have seen it already.
He was fourth on GC, 18 stages in 2015. Why is it so unthinkable that after having worked specifically to become a Grand Tour rider (which he hadn't done before that, mind) he shouldn't be able to last the extra two days?
This. How long is he aiming for a GC in a GT, 3 years? And how many times he could try that without accidents, zero? I am not saying he will win this Tour, but stating that he won't get a top 10 because he never did is strange. There's a first time for everything.
 
I'd imagine the data collected on stage 6 of the Dauphine
where SuperG distanced his GC rivals with a fine push to
the finish will prove invaluable in the planning of stage 11
tactics. Nice to recon a Tour stage under race conditions.
 
oldcrank said:
I'd imagine the data collected on stage 6 of the Dauphine
where SuperG distanced his GC rivals with a fine push to
the finish will prove invaluable in the planning of stage 11
tactics. Nice to recon a Tour stage under race conditions.
These perfectly aligned posts are pure art :cool:
 
I always love it when trackies do well on the road, whether it is
monuments, classics, grand tour podiums or stages. If a track
rider wins on the Alpe tomorrow, and I am not really expecting
that to happen, it won't be the first time. A great rider that has
won a silver in the points race in the world championships and
has ridden the Team Pursuit for his nation at the Euros, World
Cup and Olys also has two Tour stage wins on two epic climbs.
That's if you consider Ax 3 Domaines and Alpe d'Huez epic. :)
edit: I almost forgot he also has a madison silver at the worlds.
And our Super-G has a madison silver from the worlds as well,
to go with all his Olympic and world champs team pursuit golds.
 
oldcrank said:
I always love it when trackies do well on the road, whether it is
monuments, classics, grand tour podiums or stages. If a track
rider wins on the Alpe tomorrow, and I am not really expecting
that to happen, it won't be the first time. A great rider that has
won a silver in the points race in the world championships and
has ridden the Team Pursuit for his nation at the Euros, World
Cup and Olys also has two Tour stage wins on two epic climbs.
That's if you consider Ax 3 Domaines and Alpe d'Huez epic. :)
edit: I almost forgot he also has a madison silver at the worlds.
And our Super-G has a madison silver from the worlds as well,
to go with all his Olympic and world champs team pursuit golds.
He is just that type of rider like Merckx (7 x Belgian Madison Champ)
 
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
This just makes me think, it's very likely he would have won the 2017 Giro without that fall.
He did look in a similar shape so yes it's quite possible. In a way, Kelderman did the best domestique job he could have done when he sent him home.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Valanga Professional Road Racing 12

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS