• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

dacooley said:
StryderHells said:
cineteq said:
Meanwhile, a more talented rider, Henao, is left alone, unsupported. Shame on Sky!

Where is the evidence that Henao is more talented? If Henao is more talented then he has been under performing for a couple of seasons now, he's certainly overrated
more talented rider mean a rider i like way more for most posters on the board. ;)

So a popularity contest not actual talent then? I like Henao, however you cant blame Sky for going with Thomas after what he's shown the past 12 months.

Pricey_sky said:
dacooley said:
StryderHells said:
cineteq said:
Meanwhile, a more talented rider, Henao, is left alone, unsupported. Shame on Sky!

Where is the evidence that Henao is more talented? If Henao is more talented then he has been under performing for a couple of seasons now, he's certainly overrated
more talented rider mean a rider i like way more for most posters on the board. ;)

So a popularity contest not actual talent then? I like Henao, however you cant blame Sky for going with Thomas after what he's shown the past 12 months.
actual talent is impossible to compare on rational grounds. who is a more talented gt rider popovych or horner, contador or indurain? opinions differ. as to thomas, of course we can't, however those who like henao more and detest sky methodics easily can and easily do.

Pricey_sky said:
dacooley said:
StryderHells said:
cineteq said:

I personally would've trained Thomas for classics though. I don't think he has the climbing potential of the GC guys (which showed at Algarve on Malhao and also to a much lesser extent Fóia, where he was beaten by Luis Leon despite being in very good form, although I have to say LLS is in fantastic form too) but could hope for a TT heavy GT. But it's worth mentioning he is 29, and it would be quite transformation for him to be beating Nibali, Contador, Froome, Aru, Pinot, Quintana on a regular basis. Especially considering he's on the same team as one of them and three of them are 25-ish and can only improve.

OTOH, he was 4th in GC at last year's Tour before cracking. But I don't think he is suited to the hard climbs of the Giro; the weather maybe more so. The Vuelta might be too hot for him, and he won't get any chances at leading at the Tour any time soon.

Furthermore, SKY don't really have anyone for the classics as good as Thomas. Stannard is alright but better at smaller races and Rowe is OK too.

2n9j5fm.jpg

Outgunned today by Grande Ilnur Zakarin but he took the jersey.Very close to win this race now :)

Re:

Vino attacks everyone said:
I dunno what you can take away from this PN when it comes to his GT prospects. Perhpas a slight weakens for back to back hard stages? Or perhaps he just had a bad day like everyone has now and then?
Anyway, h should take his chance at the Vuelta or something soon. He is not the youngest guy in the field anymore

He said he had pretty good legs today. I think the mistake he made was trying to follow that acceleration from Majka. If he'd gone at his own tempo then I'm pretty sure he'd have at least come over the top of Col d'Eze with that second group and then it would have been easier to control the front three. He's a diesel climber so he has to ride to his own limits. Valuable lesson learned but delighted he was able to take victory. Maybe a bit of a Wiggins 2011 Dauphine moment for him.

Re:

I dunno what you can take away from this PN when it comes to his GT prospects. Perhpas a slight weakens for back to back hard stages? Or perhaps he just had a bad day like everyone has now and then?
Anyway, h should take his chance at the Vuelta or something soon. He is not the youngest guy in the field anymore
Yes, succession of demanding stages over three weeks is the difficulty I'm referring to.

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
It’s incredible; it ’s hard to believe. Contador, man, he’s one of the best stage racers ever. Richie, he won nearly every stage race he did last year so to beat those two I can’t believe it. I obviously came here wanting to do the best I could and win but to actually do it is the biggest win for sure of my whole career and I’m over the moon.

So happy for him.

images

Re:

I just don't think he's that good a climber. He was gapped on the only steep bit yesterday despite the climb suiting him perfectly and wouldn't have won if is wasn't for Henao, who probably deserved to win the overall. I preferred him in the classics. He won't win a GT, the guy is 30, and this might end up as the biggest win on his palmares along with E3. He had the talent to win RVV one day. Shame

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
trevim said:
I wonder who'll be the next Sky rider to win Paris-Nice.
I think Kennaugh is the obvious choice but Rowe probably has a shot as well if he stops messing around with that classics stuff and really really really focus on stage racing :D

Judged by what we saw this week, I think Swift might be up there before long. Rowe is a similar rider to Thomas five years ago though so no reason why he can't suddenly become a good climber too.

Bernie's eyesore said:
trevim said:
I think Kennaugh is the obvious choice but Rowe probably has a shot as well if he stops messing around with that classics stuff and really really really focus on stage racing :D

Judged by what we saw this week, I think Swift might be up there before long. Rowe is a similar rider to Thomas five years ago though so no reason why he can't suddenly become a good climber too.

Kwiatkowski.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
trevim said:

My money is on Ian Boswell.

del1962 said:
Billie said:
Let's hope Thomas is a bit smarter at San Remo this year. Was strongest already last year but tactics were not on point.

I dont think there was much else he could have done in MSR last year, he is not going to win a bunch sprint against Degenkolb and Kristoff
So what? San Remo is just like 75 team pursuits, he'll be just fine :D
Seriously though I just think it's weird that he prepares for Flanders in Catalunya, I would expect him to rest or maybe ride E3 or GW.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
The only GT that suits him is the Tour. Giro and Vuelta are far to explosive and steep gradients most of the time.

No way he'll ever be Tour captain for SKY or beat any of the big GT guys over 3 weeks. He's fine for one week races with a TT in it.

TRENDING THREADS