• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint-thomas-back-training-for-tour-de-france-after-suisse-crash/
As for Thomas, even if uninjured, missing out on four key days of racing puts him on the back foot in terms of preparation for the Tour and he recognised he has some big training efforts to complete in the coming days. The Tour gets underway in Brussels on July 6.

“All good with me, just a little cut above the eye,” Thomas said of his injuries. “But back to it – big week next week.”

Indeed - Ineos must praying nothing else happens before TdF.

Re:

Colombianfan said:
Thomas to win by minutes unfortunately hope Bernal goes rougue, just ask Froome what can happen if you do not, Froome would have won 2012 without holding back
He lost a load of time in the flat. Was completely outclassed in the TTs and there was hardly any MTFs. How exactly would he have won?

Re: Re:

Singer01 said:
Colombianfan said:
Thomas to win by minutes unfortunately hope Bernal goes rougue, just ask Froome what can happen if you do not, Froome would have won 2012 without holding back
He lost a load of time to a puncture. Was completely outclassed in the TTs and there was hardly any MTFs. How exactly would he have won?

fixed

While I think it woulda been hard for Froome to claw back the time he was losing in the TTs, it would have been nice to see him at least give it a go. Teaming up with Nibali, it's possible that they could maybe even have completely cracked Wiggins

Just another what if

Not sure why so many were surprised by G today. Guy was utterly imperious on every inch of last year's Tour, regardless of terrain, and came in this year, according to the man himself, with equivalent form.

It could have barely gone any better either. Took time on all his rivals, firmly established the Ineos pecking order, his key lieutenant for the Alps took the day off, and Trek and DQS will likely control yellow between them until the TT.

Re:

Nirvana said:
I'm really happy for him looking the best again, the haters are everywhere but I've always liked him very much, considering that Pinot and Fuglsang will never win the Tour he's the one the will make me happier in case of win and seeing overhyped Bernal working for him will make the whole thing even better.
sorry for interfering, but it seems to sound quite harsh for fans of pinot and fuglsang. not that one ever considered G. a probable tour winner before june 2018. :) the chance of him winning the tour was inferior than porte's. though, as all of us remember porte was million times marked as "porte will never ever top 5 a gt' :D never say never.

dacooley said:
Nirvana said:
I'm really happy for him looking the best again, the haters are everywhere but I've always liked him very much, considering that Pinot and Fuglsang will never win the Tour he's the one the will make me happier in case of win and seeing overhyped Bernal working for him will make the whole thing even better.
sorry for interfering, but it seems to sound quite harsh for fans of pinot and fuglsang. not that one ever considered G. a probable tour winner before june 2018. :) the chance of him winning the tour was inferior than porte's. though, as all of us remember porte was million times marked as "porte will never ever top 5 a gt' :D never say never.
Wait, you don't understand what I was meaning, amongst the riders supposed to fight for the GC my favourites are (in order) Pinot, Fuglsang and Thomas but Pinot can't sustain the pressure in France and also suffers along the three weeks whereas Fuglsang has always something that hamper him in a GT, for this reason I don't consider them potential winners. For what matters I also like Porte but looks he's below his par this year.

Anyway Thomas was underrated until last year, in 2015 he showed that was able to survive in the top 5 of GC until almost the end while working for Froome (and he wasn't even the last man of the train because there was Porte after him), maybe we couldn't know he would have been the strongest but was credible at least the possibility of being a podium contender if free to ride his own race.

Has there ever been a more under-the-radar TdF favorite than Thomas this year? He cruised to a win last year, but it's as if everyone just wrote him off and focused on Bernal, Fugl, Movistars and a bunch of other riders whom he easily rode off his wheel last year. Yesterday showed that it's going to take a knockout punch to take him down.

Now I could be totally wrong and he'll be dropped in the Pyrenees, but that was a nasty, nasty climb and if I'm not mistaken he had the fastest time up, and it looked like he was really trying to claw back the time he lost to Bernal. So he's motivated, not just to win but to let Brailsford know that he was annoyed at his lack of confidence in his form.

Supposing Thomas wins this year, and Froome is back to full form, do you primarily back the 2 time defending champion, or the person going for their 5th win? I know there is this 'joint leaders' nonsense, but clearly one has to be prioritised over the other to a greater or lesser extent.

Have to admit i underrated his chances this year (as i did last year tbh!) but he looked really good today, especially considering its not the type of climb you would usually associate with his strengths...ominously for his rivals he even looked relatively comfortable with a little bit in reserve compared to the rest of the field who were zig zagging all over the road at times and completely spent when they rolled across the finish line...

Re:

Singer01 said:
Supposing Thomas wins this year, and Froome is back to full form, do you primarily back the 2 time defending champion, or the person going for their 5th win? I know there is this 'joint leaders' nonsense, but clearly one has to be prioritised over the other to a greater or lesser extent.
I for one just love how this is the course of discussion after 1km of action in the Tour

Red Rick said:
Singer01 said:
I for one just love how this is the course of discussion after 1km of action in the Tour
Exactly.

Re:

scapewalker said:
Do we know how Thomas reacts to riding at altitude? Could be a factor this tour.
We know how he reacts to tempo grinding and he is the best in the peloton at that, the Alps are perfect for that. On top of that, he has the best team and have seemingly timed his shape perfectly. Cant see how he loses this one tbh.