• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 22, 2019
Visit site
I am by no means a great fan of Geraint Thomas, but I think he did surprisingly well in this tour.

Honestly, his preparations seems to have been awful with weight gain, book deals, press obligations, crashes and shortened training camp. Sure, he is a former tour winner but second place is - all things taken into consideration - not bad.

I doubt he will win another tour. Bernal on the rise and Ineos will probably give Froome one last chance at winning the 5th tour (I don't think he will succeed either). Also, 34 is at the tail end of Tour winners.

Thomas could deserve some more victories on his palmares, but he will probably need to look elsewhere than the tour for that.

Reactions: cantpedal
Tonton said:
Thomas got a nice second place, and beyond the result, I like his fair-play and team spirit. Good guy.

Agreed. He and Alaphilippe were made in the same mould. Team players when needed, humility, balls, and no tantrums when things dont go well.

I applaud you for saying it too, because many of your compatriots on the roadside do not have your generosity of spirit.

few days old article: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ge...ticipation-in-world-championships-time-trial/
- strange considering he'd have a decent chance for medal (or even a win) considering TD, Froome, WvA aren't riding and Campa is out of form... and recently even Tony is questionable after the Vuelta crash (that was after the GT interview of course).

Strange yes, but he looked horrible in the Canadian races, and it's hard to see him travel the wrong way across the Atlantic, getting jetlag from that, and then somehow improve his form stratospherically in the space of ten days.

few days old article: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ge...ticipation-in-world-championships-time-trial/
- strange considering he'd have a decent chance for medal (or even a win) considering TD, Froome, WvA aren't riding and Campa is out of form... and recently even Tony is questionable after the Vuelta crash (that was after the GT interview of course).
How do you know Campa is out of form? He hasn't ridden anything since before the TDF. It's his 3rd big goal of the season. He was knackered after the Belgian nationals, so he's had plenty of rest since and has been working towards the WC for the past month or two.

With his current form, i'm not sure how big the chances are for Geraint. Judging by what he displayed in Germany and in Canada, i'd say his form is way off. I'd rather put my money on Dennis, Campenaerts, Roglic (if he's riding), Evenepoel, Asgreen...

How do you know Campa is out of form? He hasn't ridden anything since before the TDF. It's his 3rd big goal of the season. He was knackered after the Belgian nationals, so he's had plenty of rest since and has been working towards the WC for the past month or two.

With his current form, i'm not sure how big the chances are for Geraint. Judging by what he displayed in Germany and in Canada, i'd say his form is way off. I'd rather put my money on Dennis, Campenaerts, Roglic (if he's riding), Evenepoel, Asgreen...
i dunno, got that impression of Campa for some reason.
And poor form of GT was the surprising part for me as WCH TT was his only goal after the TdF but he still lacked the motivation to train hard since. Kinda weird considering he didnt win the Tour.

Last edited:
And that's why I don't appreciate riders like Thomas. It makes even worse that he was second at the Tour with a so so preparation.

I share your opinion on this. Not only he decided to sit out of the Vuelta, losing perhaps is last opportunity of winning another GT other than the Tour and now he can't even prepare himself for the World Championship in the UK where he would have a unique chance of getting a medal in the time-trial.

I can't understand how can he talk about fatigue when he only raced 53 days almost 30 days less than people like Valverde or Quintana that will actually go to the Worlds.

I understand that he doesn't have a GT rider mindset like Froome but at least Wiggins after winning the Tour tried to win things like the Giro, World Championships TT, PR, Hour Record but in Thomas' case the Tour win seems to have had the oopposite effect making him forget about other races. Well, I hope he goes to the Tour next year to be trashed by Dumoulin, Bernal, Roglic, Pinot, Pogacar etc

I mean I know SuperG OBE is a pursuiter and all, but it's still not easy even for a three time World and two time Olympic Team Pursuit Champion to podium the biggest stage race in the world two years in a row.

So congratulations to the young Welsh lad for having a sensible work/life balance and for not depriving another British rider the huge opportunity to ride a home World Championship. SuperG OBE has already won Team Pursuit Gold at a home Olympics and Road Race Gold at a home (well, sort of) Commonwealth Games so if he now wants to focus on just the Tour it is fine by me...and isn't he still riding the World's road race in support of Swifty?

Last edited:
I assume he knows his form best, but skipping the Vuelta was a blunder. He might’ve at least podiumed, if not won, given that he could have matched Roglic in the ITT and had solid support from Hart in the mountains. If he’s going to be shunted out from TDF leadership maybe he should go for some of the spring classics.

I assume he knows his form best, but skipping the Vuelta was a blunder. He might’ve at least podiumed, if not won, given that he could have matched Roglic in the ITT and had solid support from Hart in the mountains. If he’s going to be shunted out from TDF leadership maybe he should go for some of the spring classics.
He would be a contender in Vuelta only if that was his only GT of the year, or 2nd after Giro. Back to back GT's for Geraint, I don't think so. Not to mention that Vuelta climbs absolutely doesn't suit him.

He would be a contender in Vuelta only if that was his only GT of the year, or 2nd after Giro. Back to back GT's for Geraint, I don't think so. Not to mention that Vuelta climbs absolutely doesn't suit him.

Normally I'd agree, but for a few things: He essentially missed a full mountain stage at the end of the Tour because of the weather; his workload ahead of the Tour was light; and I think given how the Vuelta panned out, he would have been at least the equal of Pogacar and maybe even Valverde -- he definitely would have been better than Lopez and Quintana. I just don't think he'll have many more GT shots where he'd be anything more than Plan B.

TRENDING THREADS