Geraint Thomas

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It may be that he just doesn’t have the desire to live like a serious GT contender. He might recover that desire, but if he doesn’t I can’t really blame him. He has won the Tour de France after all, there’s nothing bigger to aim for. If he isn’t going to live like a GT contender I hope he comes to that realization soon and focuses on something that doesn’t require the same kind of monastic existence, like going back to the classics.

It may be that he just doesn’t have the desire to live like a serious GT contender. He might recover that desire, but if he doesn’t I can’t really blame him. He has won the Tour de France after all, there’s nothing bigger to aim for. If he isn’t going to live like a GT contender I hope he comes to that realization soon and focuses on something that doesn’t require the same kind of monastic existence, like going back to the classics.
Yes, classics contenders ofcourse don't have to live for their craft at all.

In their latest podcast "Watts Occurring" Thomas and Rowe briefly discuss the matter that for G it is much harder to get so skinny to be able to compete with the natural born climbers. Two or three extra kilos won't hurt his chances in Paris-Roubaix and not so much in Flanders. I definitely would see him return to the classics at the end of his career.

Reactions: SafeBet
Classics contenders do not have to live like psychotic ascetics in the same way that today’s serious GT contenders do. You still have to be a highly driven professional athlete, but that’s not the same thing. You can, most notably, maintain a less unnatural body weight, which makes a very big difference to how much you can enjoy your life. Particularly for riders who did not start out emaciated. Living as Skeletor is miserable.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts