• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It may be that he just doesn’t have the desire to live like a serious GT contender. He might recover that desire, but if he doesn’t I can’t really blame him. He has won the Tour de France after all, there’s nothing bigger to aim for. If he isn’t going to live like a GT contender I hope he comes to that realization soon and focuses on something that doesn’t require the same kind of monastic existence, like going back to the classics.

It may be that he just doesn’t have the desire to live like a serious GT contender. He might recover that desire, but if he doesn’t I can’t really blame him. He has won the Tour de France after all, there’s nothing bigger to aim for. If he isn’t going to live like a GT contender I hope he comes to that realization soon and focuses on something that doesn’t require the same kind of monastic existence, like going back to the classics.
Yes, classics contenders ofcourse don't have to live for their craft at all.

In their latest podcast "Watts Occurring" Thomas and Rowe briefly discuss the matter that for G it is much harder to get so skinny to be able to compete with the natural born climbers. Two or three extra kilos won't hurt his chances in Paris-Roubaix and not so much in Flanders. I definitely would see him return to the classics at the end of his career.

Reactions: Andy262 and SafeBet

Classics contenders do not have to live like psychotic ascetics in the same way that today’s serious GT contenders do. You still have to be a highly driven professional athlete, but that’s not the same thing. You can, most notably, maintain a less unnatural body weight, which makes a very big difference to how much you can enjoy your life. Particularly for riders who did not start out emaciated. Living as Skeletor is miserable.

So what's happening with this man? Flying under the radar? Lot of discussion about CF but not much about the Welshman. Underperforming? Just perfect?
some think he's just in training mode (such as faustocoppi60 on Twitter, who usually knows what he's talking about) and will come good before the Tour, others think he's in worse shape than Froome. Lots of middle ground between those extremes, of course.

He did seem fairly relaxed to me in that French race. I'm not writing him off quite yet.

You know what I find weird yet frightening? That we haven't heard anything about Thomas. Nothing. Just crickets. He has been godawful trash ever since the season resumed, yet nothing. Not a beep. Rasch was vague about him as well. He finished second to last, in the same time as someone who crashed in stage 1. Normally all alarm bells would go off simultaneously, but INEOS seem perfectly fine with it. Either he has his best legs ever, or he did absolutely nothing in regards to training during the break.

You know what I find weird yet frightening? That we haven't heard anything about Thomas. Nothing. Just crickets. He has been godawful trash ever since the season resumed, yet nothing. Not a beep. Rasch was vague about him as well. He finished second to last, in the same time as someone who crashed in stage 1. Normally all alarm bells would go off simultaneously, but INEOS seem perfectly fine with it. Either he has his best legs ever, or he did absolutely nothing in regards to training during the break.
We have heard about him.

Wiggins said he was in the form of his life and was gonna win the Tour.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Agree. Said this on Tuesday already
So what's happening with this man? Flying under the radar? Lot of discussion about CF but not much about the Welshman. Underperforming? Just perfect?

That would be the best twist ever, if Thomas now just came out during the Tour and dominated that whole Jumblebee-team.

But no.
I don't agree with some others though that only the leaders look weak. (But that is probably because I am comparing them to Jumbo now.) Kwiatkowski, like last season, does not look at his best at all. Castroviejo is good, van Baarle okay. TGH really not great.

Really at this point, when obviously Bernal needs the best team possible to beat Jumbo, I would leave Froome and Thomas at home (if this is not the biggest bluff ever).

Bernal, Sivakov, Castroviejo, van Baarle, Rowe, Amador, Sosa, Kwiatkowski?

Reactions: Sandisfan
There have been some quotes from Thomas, such as this one, from August 15

"It's been a tough start," he said. "Obviously I was hoping to be a bit better. The numbers are good, I just need to chip off another kilo or so and I'll be perfect."

Can his form really be as bad as it looks though? He wasn't that bad on stage 3.

If it is this bad, and he is way behind the eight ball perhaps due to not handling the lockdown situation well, then surely his focus is instead the Giro or Vuelta? There is still time to build form for either of those races. Would he be allowed to ride the Tour De France as training, as one of the worst domestiques on the team?

Did not expect Thomas to be dropped. With Carapaz going and the amount of TT in the Grio may be a good thing for him.

Part of me wonders whether this was in the offing because Amador is also doing the Tour with Carapaz. Ineos' Tour team looks very strong.

If I was to guess the Giro team will have a core of-

G. Thomas
I. Sosa
S. Henao
T. G. Hart
R. Dennis
S. Puccio

Throw in a couple of others say Swift and Doull and that has the makings of a decent team.

Last edited:
But do you think they should have taken him? He would have been to the Tour, but probably always as "also there". This way he can improve until the Giro and be a very good contender, if things go well.
The team this year is not like in some years, when you could have said it does not matter if they take two guys for past glory. But this year they might really need every strong leg they can get hold of. But, like I said, also for Thomas that seems to be the better way for me, even if I have no clue what went wrong.

But do you think they should have taken him? He would have been to the Tour, but probably always as "also there". This way he can improve until the Giro and be a very good contender, if things go well.
The team this year is not like in some years, when you could have said it does not matter if they take two guys for past glory. But this year they might really need every strong leg they can get hold of. But, like I said, also for Thomas that seems to be the better way for me, even if I have no clue what went wrong.

Initially, I thought it was disrespectful when I saw the news but after a few minutes' reflection I agree that it wouldn't have made much sense to send him, given that his form showed in the Dauphiné really was his real form.

TRENDING THREADS