• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If G stays on the bike, he'll finish somewhere on the podium at this TDF. Bardet would need two minutes on him for the ITT. Not happening (so far). If bad luck happens to Pogi and Vinegar, G could even win this TDF. That should be enough to seize up the CN forum for a day at least.

Entirely possible that he wins in that manner. Not likely, but a realistic chance. And it would be very funny.

Not only posters on this forum, but it sounds like even Ineos didn’t believe in his ability ahead of the Tour…but he once again added to his incredible and versatile palmeres. He couldn’t match Pogacar & Vingegaard - they were a step above - but he was 5 minutes clear of 4th place, almost 10 minutes clear of 5th!
He’s now stood on each step of the TdF podium, as well as winning/podiuming most of the big one-week races.
Personally I’d like to see him pivot back to the classics in the last years of his career, like Wiggins did, but I expect he’ll keep aiming at GC.

Not only posters on this forum, but it sounds like even Ineos didn’t believe in his ability ahead of the Tour…but he once again added to his incredible and versatile palmeres. He couldn’t match Pogacar & Vingegaard - they were a step above - but he was 5 minutes clear of 4th place, almost 10 minutes clear of 5th!
He’s now stood on each step of the TdF podium, as well as winning/podiuming most of the big one-week races.
Personally I’d like to see him pivot back to the classics in the last years of his career, like Wiggins did, but I expect he’ll keep aiming at GC.

A very solid performance. A third podium should confirm his status as one of the consistent GC riders of this era and put to bed the idea that 2018 was just a fluke. Obviously he was nowhere near the level of the top 2 (other than in the final TT) but they did both hit the deck at points, and with covid hanging around he stayed close enough that a higher placing wasn't impossible.

What happens next probably depends on the condition of Egan Bernal and the Roglic transfer scenario. If either of them appear realistic TdF winners over the next few years you'd imagine Geraint will want to be in close support as he was for Froome.

Commonwealth Games next week. Timetrial looks decent for him; probably depends on the level of competition that turns up and how much he has to drink over the next few days :)

Commonwealth Games next week. Timetrial looks decent for him; probably depends on the level of competition that turns up and how much he has to drink over the next few days :)

Geraint goes off last at 14.29 BST. Fred Wright leading after the first wave was only a minute off Thomas in the stage 20 ITT, and Rohan Dennis probably the only other potential winner.

1min 36. Something up with his bike now as well. Dennis has this.
Looks like Rohan sat up a bit, wins easily in the end. Nicely paced ride by Fred Wright with fast final splits for silver. Geraint gets the silver without the crash but Dennis had enough to get a bit more time if it had been looking close for gold.

Not much expectation for Sunday. Hopefully Australia decide to try to hold things together and we get a Ewan/Cavendish sprint. If not, it's a complete toss up on that course.

He'll be a year older, but I do think he could have been closer (not close) to pog and ving if it had been worth it. Him V Remco v Roglic would be a nice race assuming he gets a decent team.

I have no doubt that he will get a strong team given his status and the depth of team Ineos. I expect people like Turner, Tullett and Swift there and maybe even Hart and Arensman as a co-leader given the apparently TT-heavy nature of the route. Join a Ganna and a Plapp and they should have plenty of firepower.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that he will get a strong team given his status and the depth of team Ineos. I expect people like Turner, Tullett and Swift there and maybe even Hart and Arensman as a co-leader given the apparently TT-heavy nature of the route. Join a Ganna and a Plapp and they should have plenty of firepower.

wouldn’t be surprised if Arensman is earmarked for the Tour. Still could have decent support-

Thomas
Hart
Plapp
Tullett
Turner
Ganna
Puccio
Nhavarez/swfit

given his good showing at the tour would not be a bad idea to do the Giro especially with 3 TTs

Reactions: Wyndbrook
He was right near front after the crash and by the time the cameras had stopped showing the crash incident he’d disappeared when they rejoined the live pictures. So he either had really bad legs and was dropped with 4km to go, punctured or crashed. I initially thought he was riding for Hayter but that was Puccio.

Reactions: CyclistAbi
he is 36 now, so only really capable of one major peak or objective. plus he's slightly off having been ill/not raced since oz. He'll ride into the giro, won't be the form man having won trentino, etc being the highest placed gc contender in the first week like he has been previously.
He isn't going to be Ineos leader at the Giro d'Italia.

No way they stick to that plan. Ineos isn't DSM after all!

Reactions: JRanton

TRENDING THREADS