• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gerard Vroomen makes a boo-boo

@gerardvroomen said:
Today the announcement of the new saxo sponsor. Love the brands people speculate about!

@gerardvroomen said:
1st Siemens. Company with huge ethics problems in recent past teams up with Mr. 60%. If true brand dir. should be fired!

@gerardvroomen said:
2nd speculation: Vestas. Clean energy co teams up with last guy to admit winning Tour with not-so-clean energy Not likely

@shampoo_ said:
@gerardvroomen Didn't you used to sponsor Mr 60% ?

There you have it, effectively sponsors who team up with Mr 60% aren't ethical. :D

I always knew Cervelo riders were not to be trusted.

eurotrash

BANNED
Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Just sounds like he is really bitter against Riis and would come up with some slight for any potential sponsor. Makes him sound stupid and petty in my opinion and does nothing for my view of his brand.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
This is why twitter is interesting.
didn't this guy already apologize for stupid tweets? Here he goes again getting all righteous. This guy should just keep his judgments to himself. It always seemed like they market themselves as the smartest guys in the room. Well stupid is as stupid does.

Massive foolishness.

With Milram, Caisse and others all going pear-shaped, dissing potential sponsors that are looking to get into the sport is just wrong.

I hope Gerry's business never gets so tight that he needs to bring in a bit of help in return for a smaller "é" on the jersey.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
There you have it, effectively sponsors who team up with Mr 60% aren't ethical. :D

I always knew Cervelo riders were not to be trusted.

Ummmm, If I recall correctly, didn't Vroomen pull out from Riis the year Riis confessed to doping to win the tour?

This would suggest that they thought Riis was a bona fide Tour winner and then when it came to light that he doped, they dropped Riis so they wouldn't be thought of as sponsoring a doper.

I fail to see how that would show on him or his brand.

His comments are a bit stoooopid in my view though, it is better to hold your tongue/tweet and think before you speak/tweet.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
eurotrash said:
Just sounds like he is really bitter against Riis and would come up with some slight for any potential sponsor. Makes him sound stupid and petty in my opinion and does nothing for my view of his brand.

Yeh I just called the bike shop and told them to shove the S3 I ordered ;) But shampoo has it covered with that response.

Squares said:
Ummmm, If I recall correctly, didn't Vroomen pull out from Riis the year Riis confessed to doping to win the tour?

This would suggest that they thought Riis was a bona fide Tour winner and then when it came to light that he doped, they dropped Riis so they wouldn't be thought of as sponsoring a doper.

I fail to see how that would show on him or his brand.

His comments are a bit stoooopid in my view though, it is better to hold your tongue/tweet and think before you speak/tweet.

Hmm, Riis admitted in 2007 didn't he?

In 2008 CSC were still on Cervelos.

CTT started in 2009.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Hmm, Riis admitted in 2007 didn't he?

In 2008 CSC were still on Cervelos.

CTT started in 2009.

I searched and you are correct that Riis confessed in 2007.

It is unclear whether Cervelo's sponsorship contract already bound them to Riis through the end of 2008 but it is clear that there are hard feelings on Vroomen's part.

As I said the first time, he should watch his tweets.

eurotrash said:

Twitter is definitely not some people's friend. Why do they feel the need to even fire off these statements where quite apparently little thought was actually put into them? Secondly what makes them think that anyone really cares? False sense of importance? Twitter is an invitation for one to put their foot in their mouth and it's been proven over and over and over again, yet some folks never learn.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Looks like somebody is soooo jealous... GTFO Vroomen and take your
darth-vader-epic-fail.jpg

With you!

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
markrosen said:
The way I read it, Vroomen is insanely jealous of Riis's team success (without Cervelo)...

And CTT will continue to not be a dominant player in the GTs. I don't see Sastre winning any GT any time soon.

CTT will continue to focus on the classics and the Green Jersey, I suppose.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
ManInFull said:
And CTT will continue to not be a dominant player in the GTs. I don't see Sastre winning any GT any time soon.

CTT will continue to focus on the classics and the Green Jersey, I suppose.

Sastre is not going to win any other GT besides La Vuelta and if he has the form... and next year he will be 36 tho... so CTT has to start to looking for other GC contender...

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Saxo went to specialized because of the big money they were offering for them to ride the bikes. Cervelo would or could not match the offer.

Very unprofessional of Vroom to tweet the way he did. Bitter and unprofessional.

Besides the poor quality and warranty support, I'm almost done liquidating my cervelo inventory.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
And again... I personally thought his announcement was uncalled for.
"We did not offer Carlos another contract,don't let the door hit you on the way out!"

Seemed like another case of saying nothing would have been classier that this.
We don't care if he goes cos we didn't want him anyway... Blah blah blah..

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
dolophonic said:
"We did not offer Carlos another contract,don't let the door hit you on the way out!"

Source plz?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Tweeting is for canaries. Anyone else: Shut up and think first, then decide your opinion is probably not important enough for the whole world to have it shoved down it's throath.:cool:

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I've always thought this guy came across as pretty classy in interviews, strange that he would send such childish tweets. I assume the twitter account is actually his?

dolophonic said:

Ok, the CN article had nothing but Vroomen praising Sastre, there was nothing consistent with what you're writing, on or between the lines.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Hitchey said:
Saxo went to specialized because of the big money they were offering for them to ride the bikes. Cervelo would or could not match the offer.

Very unprofessional of Vroom to tweet the way he did. Bitter and unprofessional.

Besides the poor quality and warranty support, I'm almost done liquidating my cervelo inventory.

dolophonic said:

Between Hitchey's comment above, and Vroomen's foot-in-mouth disease, I have zero intention of ever buying a Cervelo.

I thought Vroomen's comments regarding Riis were graceless and crass and unprofessional. Then he one-upped that with his statements about his (former) star rider, Sastre. Sastre must be glad to get away from that. Vroomen could take some class lessons from Stapleton. In fact he needs the remedial course. He should just keep his mouth shut. Sheesh.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
I've always thought this guy came across as pretty classy in interviews, strange that he would send such childish tweets. I assume the twitter account is actually his?

Ok, the CN article had nothing but Vroomen praising Sastre, there was nothing consistent with what you're writing, on or between the lines.

Ever heard of "damning with faint praise"? The headline (which a Cycling News editor wrote, not Vroomen) says "Vroomen praises Sastre's contribution to Cervelo," but the first actual words from Vroomen in the article are: “'We’d had discussions with him about what would be best for the future for him but we’d not offered him a contract,'” Vroomen told Cyclingnews from Toronto.

“'We gave him all the freedom to chat with other teams like Geox, so there’s no surprise from our side and there are no hard feelings. We were aware that there was a negotiation going on and Carlos was at the end of his contract.'”

Vroomen is describing a scene, in other words, where he, the boss, sits down with his rider and says, "Carlos, we're making a change. We won't be renewing your contract. Take your time finding a new team. We won't announce anything until you do. Just get it done before the end of the season." Not something any employee wants to experience, much less a star of the peloton. This little humiliation might have been understandable, though, had it remained where it belonged, i.e., in the team. But nooo, Vroomen decides to broadcast it to all and sundry. How ****ed up is that? The headline is just Cycling News trying its best to give this a face saving spin (because that is what the press do, sometimes).

This guy must have some real power issues. Glad I don't work for him.

TRENDING THREADS