• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gesink Discussion Thread

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm still thrilled. After all that he's been through it's simply super lovely to finally see him grabbing the queen stage of the Vuelta. Bam jongeh! That final sprint was impressive. It's been a long time since I saw someone stamping on the pedals for that long. Except Pieter Weening of course!

Re:

staubsauger said:
I'm still thrilled. After all that he's been through it's simply super lovely to finally see him grabbing the queen stage of the Vuelta. Bam jongeh! That final sprint was impressive. It's been a long time since I saw someone stamping on the pedals for that long. Except Pieter Weening of course!

Weening does it while sitting. Gesink was almost constantly standing on the pedals.
After the stage I couldn't sit anymore because of cramps. What? :)

Very happy for the man.

I'm a bit late, but I want to congratulate him too. He probably wasn't even as strong as on Lagos de Covadonga, when he dropped everyone in the break long before the finish, but this time the GC riders didn't come back. I wonder if he's really going to become a stage hunter now, or still ride for top 10 places too. Michael Boogerd said that his two stage wins gave him much more recognition than his two top 10 finishes in the Tour.

First try as a Tour de France escape artist this year. first attempt at a stage, 2nd after getting in the breakaway with half the peloton and a lot of reputated climbers and baroudeurs.
Not bad. Only Calmejane was stronger and I dare to say the course suited him more, middle mountains, rolling end.

Hope he can win a stage next week. Tomorrow will be too soon after the efforts of today

Happy for Gesink. Getting a career first so late in his career. I always remembered Gesink for having undue pressure placed on him then not living up to the lofty expectations so good he gets to taste some grand tour success. Also good the team gave him red rather than Roglic. Great start by Jumbo too obviously.

I don't know how undue it was. He was really good the first couple of years of his career.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't know how undue it was. He was really good the first couple of years of his career.
Well he was a TdF hope, which was gonna be an uphill battle even without all the bad luck. He was the Dutch hope when we came out of our cycling dark ages, and his most rotten luck was when he was the only hope we had.

In hindsight I wish he had found himself as a domestique/stage hunter mix earlier when he could've won more, but then at that time Jumbo was very short on leaders to carry the team.

Well he was a TdF hope, which was gonna be an uphill battle even without all the bad luck. He was the Dutch hope when we came out of our cycling dark ages, and his most rotten luck was when he was the only hope we had.

In hindsight I wish he had found himself as a domestique/stage hunter mix earlier when he could've won more, but then at that time Jumbo was very short on leaders to carry the team.
Looking at some of his results in one day races (Emilia and the Canadian classics) he probably could have been great in hilly classics. That said, I do rate his 6th place in the 2015 Tour, a race with all the best gt riders of that era, pretty high, that was a great performance.

Looking at some of his results in one day races (Emilia and the Canadian classics) he probably could have been great in hilly classics. That said, I do rate his 6th place in the 2015 Tour, a race with all the best gt riders of that era, pretty high, that was a great performance.
I don't think that many hilly classics suited him well enough though. Gesink outsprinting Sagan though that was magical

Gesink could've been 5th even without that ill-timed mechanical if I remember correctly.

That performance indeed was tremendous and came a bit out of the blue.

Gesink gave Valverde a good run for his money at the 2009 Vuelta a Espana. Until his crash. Simply never was the same again after his broken leg and the psychological effects of all those crashes and mishaps.

Happy for him to be in the red jersey. That everyone seems to be happy about it kinda shows how cycling still is like a big family. With all pros and cons of a big family though. Cohesion and dark secrets.

TRENDING THREADS