• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gesink Discussion Thread

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Come on now. I think Robert is now entitled to his own appreciation thread. He has had a difficult year; the (Dutch) press was awfully hard on him after last years tour; it was said that he had a weak character and wasn't hard enough to be a winner; he has had the overcome the death of his father.

I like the guy. He comes across as humble and hard working. He's a rider that shows emotion and you can see when he's suffering.

What do you expect him to do in the remaining season?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hopefully a good Tour de France. No falls, no bad luck. He could suprise many if that happens

Not really. Without bad luck top 5 wouldn't be too much of a stretch. Unless you think he can win lol.

I still think it's amazing you can win a race with this in your leg. The guy is really a hard worker, he just never gives up. That's what I like about him, it's inspiring. I don't really consider him a Tour favourite though, IMO you need a better foundation and buildup to your season to do well in the Tour.

6163d236e7aa7e42785d904cadf0ec20_view.jpg

I think expectations after this Tour of California might be a bit too high for some people. I like Gesink, I would be elated for him if he wins the Tour one day, but I don't think it will be this year. His road to recovery has been a long one, and like he said himself, he's not there yet. Like youngest said, he would need a better foundation in the build-up to the Tour in order to be considered among the favorites. I would love for him to surprise me and prove me wrong though :) I'd be more than happy to eat my words. He really is a hard worker, not many are more honest than this guy on a bike either. He really suffered for the win in California, inspiring indeed.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
He is a great rider with a good attitude. Always pushes himself to the limit, always races for a good result and it's about time he starts winning the important stage races.

I doubt however if he can do top 5 in the TdF this year. He is still recovering from his fracture and his form is good but I don't think he has his top level back in July. And there is of course a big risk he crashes again in the tour, hope he finally has some luck this year on that front.
On the other hand, he is a great climber (after Alberto and Andy maybe the best in the peloton?) and his ITT has improved a lot. So maybe...

Leonardus said:
He is a great rider with a good attitude. Always pushes himself to the limit, always races for a good result and it's about time he starts winning the important stage races.

I doubt however if he can do top 5 in the TdF this year. He is still recovering from his fracture and his form is good but I don't think he has his top level back in July. And there is of course a big risk he crashes again in the tour, hope he finally has some luck this year on that front.
On the other hand, he is a great climber (after Alberto and Andy maybe the best in the peloton?) and his ITT has improved a lot. So maybe...

There are many that can be put in the same bracket after Contador and Shleck 2.0. I don't think we can really judge Gesink's real level at this year's Tour though.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Captain_Obvious said:
it was said that he had a weak character and wasn't hard enough to be a winner

That's a ridiculous thing to say about ANYONE at pro tour level, even the genetically gifted have to work like dogs to get anywhere.
It just shows you the true nature of everyone and everything involved with "journalism" - from any nation. Never let the truth get in the way of selling more papers/ratings.

DominicDecoco said:
That's not an internal motor in the leg is it? I sincerely hope not. That would be kind of wrong.

...and I sincerely hope you are joking. ;) It just goes to show how much he has had to overcome to get to this point. Really glad he's getting back to his old level and even made quite a step in his time trialing. Now if he can just up another level in his climbing he would be duking it out with Conti and Schleck.

Gesink at his best both in climbing and TTing would definitely be one of the top favourites for the Tour. Up there with Evans (and possibly Wiggins, if he's just as good in the high mountains - maybe we'll know after the Dauphiné).

The question is whether he can be at his best so soon after his injury, and whether his climbing has gone back to its 2010 level.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I still think it's amazing you can win a race with this in your leg. The guy is really a hard worker, he just never gives up. That's what I like about him, it's inspiring. I don't really consider him a Tour favourite though, IMO you need a better foundation and buildup to your season to do well in the Tour.

+1

good to see where it is at, But the tour will be too much for him I suspect.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
Gesink at his best both in climbing and TTing would definitely be one of the top favourites for the Tour. Up there with Evans (and possibly Wiggins, if he's just as good in the high mountains - maybe we'll know after the Dauphiné).

The question is whether he can be at his best so soon after his injury, and whether his climbing has gone back to its 2010 level.

Fully agreed.

And lol, nice pic dominic.

You've got riders of which you don't know how good they are because they never show anything, and you've got Gesink, who's always riding likes he's gonna die in a couple of minutes.

I don't think he's a favourite, he wins one race and gets hyped immediately. He could be one of the riders making a couple of attacks though

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
As mentioned at the TT of the ToC, i already signed Gesink for the win there and looked forward the TdF. As we see in the cowardly racing of nowadays, when race radios, powermeters and all the other computerized stuff decide the outcome of races (thank you Mr. JV :mad:), Gesink can win the TdF. Just suck the wheel of Evans and have one great day in the mountains. That´s (besides no crashes/illness) all that Gesink needs to succeed... I am very optimistic. :)

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Without bad luck, yeah he can win.
There is no Contador. Andy is worse than ever. Only Evans and Wiggins are the biggest problems then
It's an open Tour this year anyway. Vandenbroeck could win too. Nibali too...

Lol vdb and.nibali above sanchez and menchov.

Please explain to me under what logic can one dismiss the best climber around (Andy) like that bbut then say that jvdb can win the tour ?

Andy worse than ever. well he will peak for the tour no, regardless of how cap he was in races he doesn't care about

the 'hype' is not based on ToC. It's a pretty logical assesment of his qualities past and present combined with the calculated increase in form between ToC and Tour de France.

Hype is saying he is a certainty for TDF podium or victory. Hyping up is saying he will win the TDF or will end on the podium.
Saying he could podium or win the TDF, given certain requirements are met (increase in form, not crashing), like I do, is not hyping.

Some people here totally lack understanding of the meaning of 'hyping'
He can podium or win TDF. But so can 7/8 other Tour contenders this year, like I said, it's more open this season.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Respect

I like the respect Gesink has consistently shown the ToC. He comes here prepared to race, and is one of the few non-Americans to do so. I've been a fan since his stage win in San Jose a few years back, and to see him take the overall was a real pleasure.

TRENDING THREADS