• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gilberto Simoni's Choice

What is the better option for Simoni?

• There is no "wrong" choice. Simoni can do whatever he chooses.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
In the twilight of Gilberto Simoni's career, he is faced with retirement, or riding for a new team. What's the better choice?

I'm thinking Rock Racing. He's got the motivation and the legs. And apparently the cajones.

Forza, Gibo.

I'd have to say Lampre. Rock Racing just doesn't rub me the right way and my being a fan of Simoni I wouldn't want him to get shafted by Ball the way so many riders have in the past. At Lampre at least he has a positive relationship with management, its an Italian team with a chance of a Pro Tour license and an almost guaranteed Giro invite...plus he gets to renew his loving relationship with Damiano, although I understand they've made up since 2004/2005.

The only positives of joining Rock Racing would be his possible appearance at any US races that the team does and his interest in helping to promote the Rock Racing brand (bikes, kit, etc...). Simoni's one of my favorite riders so whatever makes him happy is fine with me.:) It would pain me to see him giving that ridiculous devil's horn hand symbol that is a requirement for all of Ball's subjects..er, uhh, employees. I think they stole it from George Clinton's P-Funk All Stars (Parliament/Funkadelic).;)

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
To bad he can't ride for Radio Shack. Simoni is a legendary cyclist. I would love to see him race the Tour of California here.

I think he is to intelligent to put up with M. Balls' antics.

Simoni might do it though just for a laugh.

I'd just as soon see him sign with Lampre and do one more Giro.

Rock are the bad boys of cycling; with payment issues, and err, 'lab' issues, before and after joining Rock.

Then again, Rock travels with not only a team bus, but Caddy Escalades, a team Bentley and their own podium girls. The only time I saw Super Mario racing was at the 2008 Tour of California when he was with Rock.

I voted for lampre. Simoni is one of my favourites, and rock racing is probably my least favourite team ever. Would hate to seem him in that ridiculous outfit. Rather retire gracefully, then. (OT: about that "ridiculous devil's horn hand symbol", I think that's originally an italian gesture to ward off evil? Seem to remember ronnie james dio claiming to have introduced it into heavy metal, and remembering it used by his italian grandmother?)

Michele said:
@zapata: in italy the gesture was used for "push" away bad luck when something bad happened or someone was saying something not really nice.

Thank you! I though it was something like that. That's what gibo should do when he's approached by michael ball.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I hope Simoni goes to Rock. It would be cool to see him do stage races like California, Utah, Columbia, Qinghai Lake, etc.; and he will have a better chance of winning s stage or two than he will have doing races on Lampre's schedule.

Yes and add some class to this Continent's racing. He could avoid the pay issue that's plagued Rock's lesser stars by getting the money in escrow with a third party. He would get alot of good endorsement opportunities.

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
some of you are so funny!

Were all just normal bike lovers and these forums get so ridiculus! this one especially!! some of you all are so against Rock Racing, yet Lampre, is a team with just as many problems.

you are rooting for the "other" team just because you don't like the owner of rock racing!! too funny!

You all should really just look at yourselves before pointing fingers! we all should just be happy we get to see Gilberto race one last year! he is truely one of the greats!

having these stupid polls as well, lets be stand up and just wish him well whereever he goes!--i just want to see him race! and hopefully in the USA if he gets the chance!

and those bikes of Rock Racing are pretty awesome too! Not that i can afford a RR bike, but they are beautiful! to think that Simoni might work with RR engineers to make a bike that cool for the future! simply awesome!

ok, that is my 2 cents....lets just wish Gibo the best!!

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
To bad he can't ride for Radio Shack. Simoni is a legendary cyclist. I would love to see him race the Tour of California here.

I think he is to intelligent to put up with M. Balls' antics.

Simoni might do it though just for a laugh.

he allready raced the T of CALI,he and ball wouldnt be able to understand each other anyway........:rolleyes:

aerodog said:
some of you are so funny!

Were all just normal bike lovers and these forums get so ridiculus! this one especially!! some of you all are so against Rock Racing, yet Lampre, is a team with just as many problems.

you are rooting for the "other" team just because you don't like the owner of rock racing!! too funny!

You all should really just look at yourselves before pointing fingers! we all should just be happy we get to see Gilberto race one last year! he is truely one of the greats!

having these stupid polls as well, lets be stand up and just wish him well whereever he goes!--i just want to see him race! and hopefully in the USA if he gets the chance!

and those bikes of Rock Racing are pretty awesome too! Not that i can afford a RR bike, but they are beautiful! to think that Simoni might work with RR engineers to make a bike that cool for the future! simply awesome!

ok, that is my 2 cents....lets just wish Gibo the best!!

Michael Ball, is that you? The "awesome" bikes gave it away.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm not normally a fan of polls, but since easing into retirement myself, I've been giving the second half of my life a lot of thought...

No matter the choice, Gibo's got nothing to lose. For purely selfish reasons (mainly, seeing him ride in the USA again), I quickly cast my vote for Rock. He's a big boy, with a sensible agent. I think he'll be fine.

I truly do wish Gibo a great season of riding, no matter which team he chooses. If just seems too early for him to stop riding for good.

As far as mountain biking goes, aside from perhaps Ned Overend, it's a young guy's and gal's sport. I gave it up at 35. My bones thank me every day.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
tifosa said:
I truly do wish Gibo a great season of riding, no matter which team he chooses. If just seems too early for him to stop riding for good.

Taking off the retirement option, I guess it depends on his ego and he's a guy with a big ego.
I mean; if he choose to ride with Lampre, yes he might ride the Giro but he wouldn't be free, otherwise with RR he would be more free but by doing smaller races.

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Michael Ball, is that you? The "awesome" bikes gave it away.

Now these forums are really getting silly! so someone can't make a comment about awesome looking bikes, BroDeal?

FYI--no i am not mr ball ,nor do i know him or have met him! maybe i'm simoni brodeal-----or maybe i'm a particular other famos rider? These forums are always full of amusement!! to funny.

Good luck Simoni, with your decision!!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
aerodog said:
maybe i'm simoni brodeal...
...Good luck Simoni, with your decision!!

there you go again, taking about yourself in the third person! what else can one expect with an ego the size of italia! have fun at rock! i know your bike will be the most awesome ever! these people are so silly!

:D

Well done, whomever you are.

Forza, Gibo.

aerodog said:
Now these forums are really getting silly! so someone can't make a comment about awesome looking bikes, BroDeal?

FYI--no i am not mr ball ,nor do i know him or have met him! maybe i'm simoni brodeal-----or maybe i'm a particular other famos rider? These forums are always full of amusement!! to funny.

Good luck Simoni, with your decision!!

When I read stuff like this:

aerodog said:

I tend to get suspicious. RR Engineers? The team was operating on a shoe string budget, getting rid of riders in mid season to save money, and demanding those who were let go give back their helmets. Buying generic carbon frames from asia and slapping decals and paint on them does not exactly require engineers.

TRENDING THREADS