• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2011 Review

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate the 2011 Giro on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is very poor and 10 is awesome.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
The worst team award goes to Team Sky for not placing any rider in the top 20 GC, only being present in 3 breakaways, not winning any stages/jerseys and generally being invisible. Other candidates for this amazing award were:

BMC- did not win anything, but Tschopp did better than expected in GC (16th) and they were in a few breakaways.

Colnago-CSF - Pozzovivo underperformed massively but Brambilla and Pirazzi were quite active in the breakaways. Probably did worse than Sky but at least they were visible in the last 9 days of the Giro.

Geox- Sastre and Menchov underperformed, but at least they got a top 10 gc. Duarte looked really strong until he crashed out.

Quick Step - No stage wins, but Cataldo got a decent GC placing (13th) and Seeldrayers was in quite a few breakaways.

Sky win that by a country mile. We all knew BMC had a poor team but they made the best of a bad job. Sky had a better line-up on paper and might as well not have turned up after Appolonio withdrew.

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I loved the moment of the Strade bianchi stage when Kohler was pedalling on the dusty roads out by himself. And the commentator said "It's art, that's what we get here in the giro" and we could see black and white images of Martin Kohler.

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Moment of the giro? As others have said, the crash of Wouter Weylandt.

Best win of the Giro? Hmm, I think I'd have to go with Kiryienka's victory.

Best Stage of the Giro? Stage 15. With an honourable mention to the Zoncolan.

Quote of the Giro... Not a clue...

Disappointment of the Giro? Cutting out the Crostis.

Surprise of the Giro? How incredibly dominant Contador was. Sure I expected him to win, but in this fashion...

What are you looking forward to in the 2012 Giro? More competition for first spot. Contador was brilliant, but it did get a little boring eventually.

Who did you expect more of? Menchov of course. Besides that, wasn't exactly impressed with Kreuziger either. He didn't do terrible, but clearly couldn't make the step up yet.

Which riders performed beyond expectations? Gadret and Kruiswijk. On these last two mountain stages seeing Kruiswijk go up with Contador and Scarponi, that was pretty great.

Should there have been more pan flat stages? Nope. I do think they should have one last (semi-) flat stage near the end of the Giro to reward the sprinters that hold on through the mountains.

Was the tragedy handled correctly? Yes, was actually quite impressed with that.

Should Crostis have been included? Yes.

Overall, did the organizers do a good job? They did a good job. Still room for improvement, but it was defenitely not bad.

Do you expect the other grand tours of 2011 to be better? Nope, this is the Giro!

Did the awesomness of the 2010 Giro dampen this one a bit? Not for me. It was a good race, no matter how awesome the last years race was.

Jul 25, 2010
twitter.com
Moment of the giro? Seeing the motorbike breakdown on the Zoncolan & that fan dangle a piece of steak in front of Contador.

Best win of the Giro? Contador on Mt Etna

Best Stage of the Giro? Zoncolan

Disappointment of the Giro? Didn't live up to the hype. Menchov

Surprise of the Giro? Gadret?

What are you looking forward to in the 2012 Giro? Crostis?

Who did you expect more of? Anton

Which riders performed beyond expectations? Svistov, Gadret

Should there have been more pan flat stages? Yes. 1 more in the last week at least.

Was the tragedy handled correctly? Who's to say?

Should Crostis have been included? Yes

Overall, did the organizers do a good job? 10/10

Do you expect the other grand tours of 2011 to be better? yes.

Did the awesomness of the 2010 Giro dampen this one a bit? No.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Moment of the giro? Stage 4 finish

Best win of the Giro? Anton and Nieve back to back

Best Stage of the Giro? Stage 15, Honorable mention for 4

Quote of the Giro... All the roadside signs commemorating Wouter

Disappointment of the Giro? Geox as a whole

Surprise of the Giro? Siustou, Kruijswijk

What are you looking forward to in the 2012 Giro? Angelo Zomegnan designing a route

Who did you expect more of? Anton, he said he was very tired at the end in an interview, but I have a hunch he was getting sick

Which riders performed beyond expectations? Nieve

Should there have been more pan flat stages? noope

Was the tragedy handled correctly? yes

Should Crostis have been included? As a biased Igor Anton fan: no... As a cycling fan: yes

Overall, did the organizers do a good job? yes

Do you expect the other grand tours of 2011 to be better? Maybe Vuelta, considering I get to see it

Did the awesomness of the 2010 Giro dampen this one a bit? no, it has its own special history and will always be remembered sadly for the wrong reasons

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Best win of the Giro?
Paolo Tiralongo - what a moment when Contador caught him, carried him the last 500 meters and eventually gave him the victory. Class act.

Best Stage of the Giro?
stage 14 - what a beast of a mountain Zoncolan is. Contador showed his limits, Igor Anton showed for the first and last time what he's capable of and a crowd filled with anger and tension - what a stage.

Quote of the Giro...
?

Disappointment of the Giro?
Sella - because of his optimistic comments before the giro. Top 3..? Hmm
Menchov - not surprised to be honest but still a disapointment.
Team Katusha - nothing positive to say. Joachim Rodriguez never delivered.
wouter weyland - what a tragic way to start this fantastic race.

Surprise of the Giro?
Kruijswijk, Nieve, Ag2R, Sivtsov.

What are you looking forward to in the 2011 Giro?
More competition between top 3.

WHo did you expect more of?
See 'disapointment of the girio'

Which riders performed beyond expectations?
See 'surprise of the giro'

Should there have been more pan flat stages?
No.

Was the tragedy handled correctly?
yes

Should Crostis have been included?
yes

Overall, did the organizers do a good job?
yes, horrible tv coverage at times though - not only because of the weather.

A

Anonymous

Overall dissapointing, but for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I think we were so spoilt over the last two years, many of us probably hyped up this giro too much, and expected more of the same. That simply cant happen every year.

The events of the first week put a natural down on it, and for most people I think it was pretty hard to get 100% behind it for a fair few days afterwards. I certainly struggled to get up to much enthusiasm after that.

Then they changed the route of what should have been an absolutely terrific stage.

Contador just dominated, ruined the spectacle to an extent.

Still better than the tour will probably be, but a giro that wont be remembered as much as it could have been.

Moment of the giro? Contador on Etna. The beginning and the end all rolled into one.

Disappointment of the Giro? I wanted to see more hilltowns and palazzo's (palazzi?)

What are you looking forward to in the 2012 Giro? Hilltowns

Who did you expect more of? Cuddles.

Which riders performed beyond expectations? Go Go Gadget climbing legs.

Should there have been more pan flat stages? No. But less monster mountains, more "hilly" stages.

Was the tragedy handled correctly? Yes, very much so.

Overall, did the organizers do a good job? Yes.

Do you expect the other grand tours of 2011 to be better? Yes. I actually expect Le Tour to be more exciting competition-wise.

Did the awesomness of the 2010 Giro dampen this one a bit? Yes, actually. 2010 set the bar high... pardon the mixed sports metaphor.

Moment of the giro?

Declerq hanging on for the win

Best win of the Giro?

Kiryienka

Best Stage of the Giro?

The one Nieve won

Quote of the Giro...

Probably Russ Downing's account of his stage 19 adventures as if it was just another day at the office

Duarte's injury

Surprise of the Giro?

So many finishers considering the difficult parcours and one team obviously leaving the race

What are you looking forward to in the 2012 Giro?

A more balanced parcours and more competitive, less predictable race

Who did you expect more of?

Katusha

Gadret / Dupont

Less MTFs. If sprinters have zero chance at the points jersey something is wrong

Yes

Probably

So-so. Some good things. Some bad. Some difficult circumstances.

Do you expect the other grand tours of 2011 to be better?

Vuelta, no. TDF, hopefully

Did the awesomness of the 2010 Giro dampen this one a bit?

For me 2009 > 2010 > 2011

Gave it a 7, but it probably was an 8.

Moment of the giro? Weylandt dominated the Giro.

Best win of the Giro? I liked De Clercq just hanging on. Also Kiryienka, and Tiralongo's win was great.

Best Stage of the Giro? Stage 15: Conegliano - Gardeccia/Val di Fassa

Quote of the Giro... "The race will be won in the hotel room."

Disappointment of the Giro? Menchov, Sella, if Scarponi ends up winning.

Surprise of the Giro? Weylandt's death, Sivtsov, Kruijswijk, Contador's total domination.

What are you looking forward to in the 2012 Giro? Scanuppia?!

Who did you expect more of? Menchov, Visconti, Sella.

Which riders performed beyond expectations? Sivtsov, Gadret, Nieve.

Should there have been more pan flat stages? Nope.

Was the tragedy handled correctly? Yeah, very much so.

Should Crostis have been included? Probably not.

Overall, did the organizers do a good job? Mostly. Transfers were probably too long though.

Do you expect the other grand tours of 2011 to be better? Lol, no. It will be the best grand tour of the year, unless the Vuelta keeps improving.

Did the awesomness of the 2010 Giro dampen this one a bit? A bit.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Moment of the giro? The death of Wouter Weylandt.

Best win of the Giro? Paolo Tiralongo's stage 19 win.

Best Stage of the Giro? Stage 15

Quote of the Giro...Contador: "It is possible that the Giro could be won in the hotel".

Disappointment of the Giro? None

Surprise of the Giro? Contador's dominance

What are you looking forward to in the 2012 Giro? Another exciting race

Who did you expect more of? Menchov

Which riders performed beyond expectations? John Gadret and Jose Rujano

Should there have been more pan flat stages? No, I loved the numerous MTFs.

Was the tragedy handled correctly? Yes

Should Crostis have been included? No

Overall, did the organizers do a good job? Yes

Do you expect the other grand tours of 2011 to be better? If AC doesn't participate, the TdF could be better if someone actually battles Baby Schleck for the yellow jersey.

Did the awesomness of the 2010 Giro dampen this one a bit? No

Angelo Zomegnan, the man who made cycling great again.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
ACF usually does this. But he hasnt yet so here we go.

How sad. A whole year left till the Giro. I feel like its the last day of summer holidays.

A few questions.

Moment of the giro?

Quite a few. Scarponi actually attacking Contador and blowing up. Rujano sticking with AC. Kiserlovski and Tiralongo's wins.

Best win of the Giro?

Anton's win or Nieve's. I liked quite a few. Frodo winning just blows period. Should have been booted from the race.

Best Stage of the Giro?

Stage 16.

Quote of the Giro...

Don't know. I didn't write them down or commit them to memory.

Menchov. I thought he'd be in form. Rodriguez, thought he was better than he ended up. He got lucky in the last 4 days. Early on, he wasn't as good as I thought he'd be. That's only GC.

Racing wise, the ***** sprinters running home after stage 12. Don't race then. Do shorter races and leave the GTs to real riders who race every stage and don't need to be towed up climbs.

Surprise of the Giro?

Gadret.

Contador doubling up again! Nah, he'll do the Tour/Vuelta next year. Someone new winning, beating the Italians on home soil once again.

Rodriguez.

Euskatel. Kiserlovski. Kruijswijk, Gadret.

No. Boring!

How else could you handle it? Shut the race down? Stop all the camera's? It's not like one can predict accidents of that magnitude. Respect was given and a difficult situation was handled admirably by everyone. Personally I believe Leopard Trek should have allowed riders like Feillu to stay and honour their passed team mate by racing if they chose to. They didn't. I don't get it. Weylandt loved the sport and died pursuing a dream and you pack up shop and go home! Sure emotionally some people can't deal so they need to leave, but some can. Let them choose, not some back room suit in a power position. Could you have imagined the scenes if a Leopard Trek rider stayed and won a stage? LA did it as a young man riding for Motorola at the Tour after Casertelli's death and it was genuine and a great effort. Missed opportunity to honour your friend and colleague.

As for the forumists who stopped watching the Giro after stage 3, you don't want to know what I think of them cause it's not all good.

Yes. Stage 15 would have been wicked with it. If stage 3 hadn't happened, they'd have raced it.

Yep. Great course, good efforts and people tried attacking the Maglia Rosa winner who ended up being in career best form. Can't fault that. It was a good race. Breakaways won stages throughout the race, we saw some pure class riding and AC not holding back. When was the last time I saw people attack in mountain stages in the Tour 3 climbs from the finish, let alone 2? Once stage 17 2009, or in 2007. Contador's dominance did in fact domineer the viewing, but people busted their guts out racing. In the Tour, they just follow. Can't fault this Giro for AC being superb.

I've seen some Euro's knocking the tv footage. At least you get it Live at a reasonable time of day. You've got it really sweet. There's an old saying, "Beggars can't be choosers." You guys get the best deal and it still isn't good enough, be greatful of what you have.

Nope. Not a chance, look at the above comment and draw your own conclusion. Schleck will suck AC's wheel to Paris and cry a few times about something. If Spartacus goes down, or gets sick, Schleck won't top 5. Pray that happens people!

No. This Giro was harder, difference was the winner was considerably better than last years winner. Dynamics changed as well. Last year many riders lost huge time and gained it back. This year it was far more measured. Different racing, not necessarily better. At least this year the strongest team didn't have two GC riders tag teaming everyone else. AC did it all himself, often alone 40km out from the finish. Did Basso do that? Simply put, the dynamics changed, mostly because of AC's addition to the race and the lack of weather affecting race conditions aversely.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The best quote of the Giro was when GoAndy said that he was a cycling fan who liked Andy Schleck and Ryo replied "then you are no cycling fan"

It's possible, possible I say!!!!! :eek:
Wait, I just admitted I'm a Schleck fan.
But I like Contador too, so all's forgiven, right?

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I give a real 8 to the race! was really Great for me!

Moment of the giro?
Uff... quite a few...
Contador attacking in an "sprinters stage" cuz EVERYONE IN THE WORLD was like :eek:
Contador attacking 7km from the finish in Etna with headwind!
Contador attacking 50km from the finish in Giau!!!
Tiralongo taking his 1st win as Pro Rider...
The 4 attacks that Rujano did in La Finestre
Vasili winning and the way that He did...

Best win of the Giro?
Contador in Etna... was just wow... He made look the other riders as amateurs...

Best Stage of the Giro?
Giau - Fedaia - Gardeccia

Quote of the Giro...
Maybe that one were Harmon was saying that Alberto was having an offday in Nevegal and then He crushed everyone like a monster? That was HILARIOUS!

Masciarelli having to quit cuz a car hit him... He was having an AWESOME Giro!
Sella, Pozzovivo off-form and several key riders sicks...
Geox...
No Crostis...

Surprise of the Giro?
TeamGadret et Dupont!!!
Kruisjwijk!

More stages with ambushes, not so many mountains but more stages like those in T-A (ex. Castelfilardo), the GTs need to put 4 or 5 stage like those... and the stages for the sprinters not pancake flat but with little bumps in the final...

TeamGadret and Dupont! No one ever named them before Il Giro

Yes...

Yes...

From my PoV his job was awesome... some issues but the race was great!

The only thing better than this would be Alberto kicking a$$es BIG TIME in Le Tour and doing the EPIC DOUBLE!

Every race is different and for me this race was better than the 2010 one... Why? cuz I could see Alberto kicking @sses in Italy, attacking 7 or 50km from the finish, winning and showing a lot of class...

Moment of the Giro?
Drama of Petacchi's first sprint win

Best win of the Giro?
Stage 9, Conti on the volcano with Rujano second.

Best Stage of the Giro?
Stage 14 (Zoncolon with everyone suffering) or stage 15 (Nieve's win)

Quote of the Giro...
“Too bad there is a Martian in the Giro”, Nibbles said of AC after stage 16.

Menchov

Menchov

Gadret

No

Yes, very well done.

No

Yes, good job by Zome & Co.

Not necessarily better, but different. With the main diff for me being all the major contenders present at the Tour and see what they will do vs each other.

Did the awesomeness of the 2010 Giro dampen this one a bit?
No.

I enjoyed it but preferred the chaos of last year with the big break, the wet stage on unpaved roads and the wet weather of the first week made it tougher than usual. Contador's domination made this year's race less dramatic but some great stages re Anton on Zoncalan, Kiryienka's solo victory and Nibali's downhill heroics.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Moment of the giro? Weylandt.

Best win of the Giro? Most definitely Kiryienka.

Best Stage of the Giro? 15

Quote of the Giro... No clue.

Disappointment of the Giro? Stage 20, despite Vasil being awesome.

Surprise of the Giro? For me that is Rujano, I really thought he was done for.
Also: Bart De Clercq’s stage win.

What are you looking forward to in the 2012 Giro? Mountains I guess.

Who did you expect more of? Serpa, Kiserlovsi, Sella, Visconti...

Which riders performed beyond expectations? Rujano, Dupont…

Should there have been more pan flat stages? Yes. Can’t believe I’m saying this, but it’s part of the job.

Was the tragedy handled correctly? Yes.

Should Crostis have been included? Yes. They should have decided on that before the Giro.

Overall, did the organizers do a good job? Yes.

Do you expect the other grand tours of 2011 to be better? Yes. TdF, hopefully more competition for first place. Vuelta, no.

Did the awesomness of the 2010 Giro dampen this one a bit? No.