• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2011: Stage 16 Belluno - Nevegal12.7 km ITT

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win stage 16 Nevegal tt.

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do wonder, did Contador time that tt to perfection or did he go too easy on the flat, and relied on his vastly superior climbing to get the gap, but could have maybe spread his effort out a bit and got an extra 10-15 seconds out of that?

I think option 2 personally. Yes he won, but its because he is the Great One. And it doesn't really matter that much since both the gc and the stage are won easily, but if he was trying for the best time possible i think he could have pushed a bit harder on the flat, got maybe 20-25 seconds on that and maintained a similar level on the climb, losing say 10 but gaining 15 overall.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I do wonder, did Contador time that tt to perfection or did he go too easy on the flat, and relied on his vastly superior climbing to get the gap, but could have maybe spread his effort out a bit and got an extra 10-15 seconds out of that?

I think option 2 personally. Yes he won, but its because he is the Great One. And it doesn't really matter that much since both the gc and the stage are won easily, but if he was trying for the best time possible i think he could have pushed a bit harder on the flat, got maybe 20-25 seconds on that and maintained a similar level on the climb, losing say 10 but gaining 15 overall.

Yeah, I'm quite sure of your n. 2 possibility opinion. Aware of his shape he knew there wasn't any need to push it in red from the very beginning and take risk in the corners.

There were a lot of corners in the opening flat section and to be fast there would require printing out of most of them. I don't think the cost of redlining it each time was worthwhile. You've got to believe the fastest riders here pushed it too hard and paid the price. Printing isn't Contador's strength.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Contador took it easy in the first part cuz was really technical and had dangerous corners, just see in the replay how Lo Squalo almost crash in the bridge! He was totally confident in his superior climbing skills but He didnt go into red yesterday but He wanted to win specially for Xavi...

jens_attacks said:
well i might be wrong because i blindly cheer for rujano but i have the feeling nibali will somehow crack big time.

oh and i remember poor danilo doing 80% of the work on finestre.he was just over-confident in his power.mentally he still think he could it again on sestrieres but on the flat to the climb,cramps over cramps.sad to see him like that.rujano was like a fox.
I rather think it's blind hope.

I don't see Nibali losing any more than 1'30, and that's on a bad day.

Did anyone hear Harmonn say yesterday "whatever he has or hasnt done, he is just a class rider". (said in a tone that suggested he was very very impressed with Contadors performance).

Harmonn is usually very outspoken against doping and holds strong grudges against any rider caught even if years ago.

I think maybe he just doesnt think doping helps, hence hes willing to hate on people like Frei for getting caught but Bertie winning in such style makes it better because he would be winning even if not, you know, because it doesnt really help. Otherwise i dont see why he would like Contador this much.