• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2011: Stage 16 Belluno - Nevegal12.7 km ITT

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win stage 16 Nevegal tt.

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Alberto Contador is a champion with the kind of humility and class that is not seen often enough. He is a joy to watch, and a true professional.

This Giro has to be one of the most stressful and difficult bike races of all time. The way that Alberto Conatdor has handled himself both on and off the bike is awe inspiring.

Hats off to a great champion.

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
peacefultribe said:
Alberto Contador is a champion with the kind of humility and class that is not seen often enough. He is a joy to watch, and a true professional.

This Giro has to be one of the most stressful and difficult bike races of all time. The way that Alberto Contador has handled himself both on and off the bike is awe inspiring.

This. Absolutely

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised that people can't see the class that Contador has, I always think he carries himself very very well, he's humble and I think pretty honest. However like us all he makes mistakes and he does appear to learn. If anyone needs a reminder look at the tour in 2009, where Armstrong, the Hog and the Astana team under them did everything possible to undermine him yet his own integrity and class as a person took him through it. 100% maybe stretching it but he's not far off.

On the road he is a different character, he wants to win, he's a pro, of course he does. I dont think he was anywhere near top form in France last year and in Giro form would have won by a couple of minutes. Should he have attacked Schleck last year, yeah course he should, Schleck attacked first he's entitled to counter that. Should he have attacked again on Saturday on the Zoncolan yeah of course, he's there to win, nothing else.

I truly hope CAS find in his favour because we have a GT rider again who rides with the panache of a Merckx or an Hinualt and one who respects his sport and what is going on around him. I'd love to go to France and trounce them as he easily would in this form then, go to the Vuelta with no expectations. He's the champion the sport has missed since Indurain

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
peacefultribe said:

This Giro has to be one of the most stressful and difficult bike races of all time. The way that Alberto Conatdor has handled himself both on and off the bike is awe inspiring.

ditto .

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
peacefultribe said:

You've said it all

UpTheRoad said:
Andy was the one who attacked before he forgot how to shift. Contador was responding and kept going, as he should have.

That's it in a nutshell. He attacked, his opponents responded and he lost his chain, whatever the cause may have been. I can't understand how it can't be understood that if you initiate the aggressions you have to deal with the outcome. Schleck wasn't up to the task of taking responsibility for his plight. Instead he chose to blame others.

Angliru said:
That's it in a nutshell. He attacked, his opponents responded and he lost his chain, whatever the cause may have been. I can't understand how it can't be understood that if you initiate the aggressions you have to deal with the outcome. Schleck wasn't up to the task of taking responsibility for his plight. Instead he chose to blame others.

Exactly. And that incident provided ammunition for the Lance fans who were bitter about how Contador destroyed their hero in two consecutive Tours to attack Alberto's character.

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Rujano did great. And to people who underestimate his 5 minutes loss at the beginning of the Giro: had Contador lost 5 minutes too, he wouldn't be in the lead yet, despite his otherwise crushing domination.

again alberto owned them....pure high class
garza riding like a young man, too bad he was tired after that magnificent breakaway from sunday,he could have won this...
ok so nieve out is checked,next target:gadret...rujanito will get the podium spot no doubt.i see nibali losing more than 4 minutes on finestre,can't get all that back on the descent.

Ildabaoth said:
Rujano did great. And to people who underestimate his 5 minutes loss at the beginning of the Giro: had Contador lost 5 minutes too, he wouldn't be in the lead yet, despite his otherwise crushing domination.

tbh if contador had lost 5 minutes he would have crushed every1 everywhere to gain it back and he would be already in the lead. he rode a "defensive race" or a as defensive as possible race on both saturday and sunday but mostly saturday

jens_attacks said:
again alberto owned them....pure high class
garza riding like a young man, too bad he was tired after that magnificent breakaway from sunday,he could have won this...
ok so nieve out is checked,next target:gadret...rujanito will get the podium spot no doubt.i see nibali losing more than 4 minutes on finestre,can't get all that back on the descent.

Rujano is going very good indeed... but still 4 minutes to recover it's alot, and he had up and down too, as everyone else (apart Contador that is).
Not an easy task at all to get on the podium, considering the final ITT too.

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
tbh if contador had lost 5 minutes he would have crushed every1 everywhere to gain it back and he would be already in the lead. he rode a "defensive race" or a as defensive as possible race on both saturday and sunday but mostly saturday
Defensive race? On saturday and sunday? On saturday he was just slightly better than Nibali. He only arrived a few seconds before him, even whan he attacked at more than 1 km from the finish line. And sunday? Are you kidding? His first attack was at 50 km from the finish line. If that is "defensive", I guess he had to attack at the Piancavallo to be aggresive. :rolleyes:

jens_attacks said:
the final itt is just 26 km and lots of corners,guys like gadret,purito,rujano won't lose much.
on the sestrieres stage the differences will be huge,third week and rujano will attack at the base of finestre,probably alberto will go with him.

Anyone attacking from the base of Finestre alone, will run out of gas at some point.
2005 when the attack went pretty early, Di Luca and Simoni did all the work and consequently suffered big time, allowing Rujano to ride away on Sestrieres.
Jose had sat in 3rd spot all the way up; a wise move as it turned out.

IMO, to take 4 minutes on Finestre, you are talking about someone bonking big time, rather than flying off into the distance.

well i might be wrong because i blindly cheer for rujano but i have the feeling nibali will somehow crack big time.

oh and i remember poor danilo doing 80% of the work on finestre.he was just over-confident in his power.mentally he still think he could it again on sestrieres but on the flat to the climb,cramps over cramps.sad to see him like that.rujano was like a fox.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I might be wrong but I think Rujano worked with Simoni and Di Luca on Finestre. He certainly did on the descent and up to Sestrieres (before he dropped Gibo).

Such a brilliant stage, hardly seems 6yrs ago

Ildabaoth said:
Defensive race? On saturday and sunday? On saturday he was just slightly better than Nibali. He only arrived a few seconds before him, even whan he attacked at more than 1 km from the finish line. And sunday? Are you kidding? His first attack was at 50 km from the finish line. If that is "defensive", I guess he had to attack at the Piancavallo to be aggresive. :rolleyes:

on the zoncolan stage contador just stayed with the main rival that was most up the road (first part of the climb scarponi, second part nibali) he attacked nibali at 1k from the finish but thats not riding offensively. on etna and friday he attacked way earlier. his tactics on the zoncolan were defensive no doubt about that, or you think he couldn't keep up with anton if he wanted?

on sunday he made an attack 70k from the finish cus he saw nibali was suffering (that attacked caused nibali to get dropped) then he sat behind the movistars nibali eventually got back on the descent and attacked but contador just stayed behind the movistars and only had to close the final meters by himself. then on the fedaia he attacked when nibali was once again suffering. when he saw what a appeared to be a finally bonked nibali he sat behind rujano and others that were setting the pace. he then only attacked on the last climb when every1 was done (cept scarponi) even tho it seems like he raced very aggressively he actually didn't. all he did was attack what he thought was his biggest threat to drop him then wait for every1 else and let them pace the group hoping that nibali was finally done for good. a good prove of this was when attacked on fedaia and dropped nibali as soon as he reached arroyo he signed him to get onto his wheel. i doubt arroyo would be able to do that if contador was really attacking like he has done on etna.

thats why i said he rode as defensively as possible on that stage

I can't see Nibali cracking like in the past anymore.

He learned from the Vuelta past year to always ride his own tempo and never go with accelerations anymore.
Since he has done that, he hasn't significantly cracked once. Always manage to at least keep the damage limited.
As long as he doesn't respond to attacks he'll be fine.

I don't think he is stupid enough to make the mistake again by following a pace that is too high and completely crack like he did a lot in when he was younger

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
the final itt is just 26 km and lots of corners,guys like gadret,purito,rujano won't lose much.
on the sestrieres stage the differences will be huge,third week and rujano will attack at the base of finestre,probably alberto will go with him.

mmmm If Rujano is very hungry He will attack from the base but one thing is sure... He will make the decisive attack and be sure that Alberto will follow it... Nibs could "bonk" again in Finestre... His endurance is not that good!

Ryaguas said:
mmmm If Rujano is very hungry He will attack from the base but one thing is sure... He will make the decisive attack and be sure that Alberto will follow it... Nibs could "bonk" again in Finestre... His endurance is not that good!

actually nibali's endurance and recovery seems to be just fine. remember how on the bola del mundo he not only managed to cut his losses to mosquera but he actually got back to him and arguably he could have passed mosquera as his pace was much higher at that point

also D_T saying something not that bad about nibali. some1 captures this moment please because that is one rare sight :p

Just hoping Scarponi cracks big time somewhere.

jens_attacks said:

Rujano is much better TTer than those two anyway.

TRENDING THREADS