Giro 2018 Route Rumours

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 11, 2014
304
0
0
Re: Re:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Valv.Piti said:
The stages in Isreal, prologue/TTT + 2 sprinter stages?
Pretty much. Original news release mentioned a TT, whereas a TTT is usually specified.

Based on the info from about a month ago it would look like this:

1. Jerusalem short ITT or prologue
2. ??? - ??? (south of Jerusalem, apparently)
3. ??? - probably Tel Aviv

Stage 2 could be a Dead Sea finish as Red Rick speculated - which would likely make it a 99.9% sure sprinter's stage - perhaps a somewhat selective one. Stage 3 would also(?) obviously be one. Stage 2 may be the only hope for some action. It would take balls, though, and I'm not convinced that Vegni has any.
Dead sea no - that means passing occupied areas. Perhaps more a jerusalem-negav stage. And then a negav (beershava) tel aviv slong the coast. Securitywise I think Galilae & Haifa is off. And that means no likely hills
 
225km could get you from Jerusalem to the Ein Gedi kibbutz on the Dead Sea, avoiding occupied areas and going towards the coast then south toward Be'er Sheva, through Arad to the Dead Sea and then with a puncheur finish.

Presumably the most realistic way to get anything interesting (and justify giving GPM) if Haifa is out would be a Jerusalem-Jerusalem prologue, then a Jerusalem-Jerusalem road stage, either a circuit in the city (maybe even the same course modified for road racing as this would undoubtedly be safer for security purposes) or a course going down toward Beit Shemesh and back up a couple of times, before a Tel Aviv short third stage with a sprint finish.
 
Jun 11, 2014
304
0
0
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
225km could get you from Jerusalem to the Ein Gedi kibbutz on the Dead Sea, avoiding occupied areas and going towards the coast then south toward Be'er Sheva, through Arad to the Dead Sea and then with a puncheur finish.

Presumably the most realistic way to get anything interesting (and justify giving GPM) if Haifa is out would be a Jerusalem-Jerusalem prologue, then a Jerusalem-Jerusalem road stage, either a circuit in the city (maybe even the same course modified for road racing as this would undoubtedly be safer for security purposes) or a course going down toward Beit Shemesh and back up a couple of times, before a Tel Aviv short third stage with a sprint finish.
Tricky. And then count in the jerusalem stage would be on a friday. Oh boy a mess!
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
Weekends should always be exciting stage and maybe a parade stage on the final Sunday - ITT's are not good viewing - They should never be on weekends.
Can you stop posting this same post over and over again? Time trials are sure as hell more interesting than a parade stage anyways.
It's my opinion which I'll post as often as i like - TT's should never be on the last 3 weekends of a GT - Weekends are reserved for exciting stages which are viewer friendly.
 
Re: Re:

TromleTromle said:
Libertine Seguros said:
225km could get you from Jerusalem to the Ein Gedi kibbutz on the Dead Sea, avoiding occupied areas and going towards the coast then south toward Be'er Sheva, through Arad to the Dead Sea and then with a puncheur finish.

Presumably the most realistic way to get anything interesting (and justify giving GPM) if Haifa is out would be a Jerusalem-Jerusalem prologue, then a Jerusalem-Jerusalem road stage, either a circuit in the city (maybe even the same course modified for road racing as this would undoubtedly be safer for security purposes) or a course going down toward Beit Shemesh and back up a couple of times, before a Tel Aviv short third stage with a sprint finish.
Tricky. And then count in the jerusalem stage would be on a friday. Oh boy a mess!
IMO, even if Israel was jam packed with 1st and HC climbs, two sprinter's stages would still be likely. This year they had as many sprinter's stages in the first two weeks as the freaking Tour de France. Just none in the third. I expect more of that next year, with perhaps one flat road stage that finishes in Rome or Milan and one less in the first two weeks.
 
Oct 23, 2011
3,846
2
0
Considering Jerusalem is built on a mountain (and a pretty famous one at that), avoiding climbs altogether would be quite the feat! At least the prologue shouldn't be pan flat, right?

An MTF on Mount Zion, doesn't get more epic than, that does it? :p

A Mount Zion mountain prologue would do the job as well, I guess.
 
Jun 11, 2014
304
0
0
Re:

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Considering Jerusalem is built on a mountain (and a pretty famous one at that), avoiding climbs altogether would be quite the feat! At least the prologue shouldn't be pan flat, right?

An MTF on Mount Zion, doesn't get more epic than, that does it? :p

A Mount Zion mountain prologue would do the job as well, I guess.
One thing is sport.
Something else to ensure security (perimeter) in the city during Friday prayer... ...is mount zion located in west?
This will be the most expensive Grand departure in history...
 
Jun 11, 2014
304
0
0
I would rather do TTT from western outskirts to tel aviv. Then a coastal sprinter stage. And a dash to eliat.
And then a lago laceno stage. One sprint. One hill. And terminillo.

But we got sicily.
 
So you are telling me with a straight face that a parade is more intriguing to you than a time trial? You must really, really dislike time trials then. I doubt thats the general consensus on them, I for one enjoy watching them (as long as they are meaningful, same with team time trials).
 
I even prefer TTT as a start parade over those fully meaningless parade stages to finish a race. What's interesting about seeing Mikel Landa drinking a bottle of Heineken? A TTT or prologue to kick off the Giro or Vuelta though is a nice gimmick to see all the riders. Especially if you are at the start location and want to take pictures etc with the riders.

The long rolling tt's the Giro uses or difficult Matt's like Monte Grappa or Plan de Corones are always entertaining IMHO. A short TT at the end of the Giro like eventually is still more interesting to watch than those dull parades. Even if there ain't no big gc action anymore. At least it's still a real race out there.

But that's just my opinion. Parades at the start? Nice gimmick! Parades at the end? Meh!
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
Next year we'll have the 50th anniversary of Eddy Merckx winning the Tre Cime stage, a proper Tre cime stage the day after the Zoncolan stage would be pretty cool, put Cibiana, Frocella Staulanza and the Giau before it (and maybe 1 or 2 other climbs at the start) and it would be an awesome stage.
Of course a part of me would prefer to see Forcella Chiandolada instead of Cibiana, but sadly Zomegnan is no longer in charge.
 
Re:

Brullnux said:
RCS to troll Israel and put a road stage in gaza
...sprint finish, Sagan DQed and Nacer wins :) . The crowds go wild!

And then: one million new accounts in the forum overnight, a lot of whining and trolling. The French did it again :lol: ...mods work overtime...67 Matej, 58 Marek, and 46 Pavol banned within the first 24 hours... :eek:

I don't like the Israel thing, really. It's the Giro d'Italia. I don't mind the first stage in a neighboring country or a detour along the way, but come on...
 
Jul 12, 2013
981
0
0
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
MTFs on Cervinia and Prato Nevoso are kinda meh tho, but I guess it can work if the stage up until the final climb is good. Must admit it looks very good so far. The stages in Isreal, prologue/TTT + 2 sprinter stages?
-The best finale design Cervina can have is that of 2015. Not possible to be better. So your "meh" is confirmed.
-Prato Nevoso is too far from the any of the killer climbs in the area. so pretty much double meh.

If Eshnar's rumours are true, brace yourselves for a crappy parcours for a second year in a row.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
The Cervinia stage could feature Colle Tzecore or Col de Joux before the 2 climbs that you had before the MTF in 2015.
 
Jul 12, 2013
981
0
0
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
The Cervinia stage could feature Colle Tzecore or Col de Joux before the 2 climbs that you had before the MTF in 2015.
Is it a rumour? Source? :p
The finale is the same though.
 
Jul 12, 2013
981
0
0
Re:

barmaher said:
2015 stage was fine. I wouldn't complain.
I will. Saint Barthalemy and Saint Panthaleon are not selective enough.
Nothing will happen in those climbs ....unless we have a new Dumo in maglia rosa.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
Re: Re:

Ataraxus said:
Mayomaniac said:
The Cervinia stage could feature Colle Tzecore or Col de Joux before the 2 climbs that you had before the MTF in 2015.
Is it a rumour? Source? :p
The finale is the same though.
No, I just wanted to point out that aint Barthalemy and Saint Panthaleon wouldn't be the best possible design for a Cervinia stage.
Of course, a stage like the one that we got in 2015 would still be good as the final mountain stage.
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
Weekends should always be exciting stage and maybe a parade stage on the final Sunday - ITT's are not good viewing - They should never be on weekends.
Can you stop posting this same post over and over again? Time trials are sure as hell more interesting than a parade stage anyways.
It's my opinion which I'll post as often as i like - TT's should never be on the last 3 weekends of a GT - Weekends are reserved for exciting stages which are viewer friendly.
I agree with you about the 2nd and 3rd weekends, though not for excitement reasons. TT on those weekends restricts racing too much on the stages prior; much better to have after the rest day (so on a Tuesday).

I don't have a problem with an ITT on the final weekend. We've had some pretty exciting ones. Lance vs. Jan '03. Alberto vs. Cadel vs. Levi '07. The ITT at the end of a mostly disappointing 2012 Giro was pretty good, same with at this years Giro.

Funnily enough it's TT's that provide the best viewing for spectators....at the course. Much better than a road stage, and might be more likely to promote casual fans to being more serious than just seeing 200 riders flash past all at once, most of which are giving no obvious sign of effort.
 
Re: Re:

gregrowlerson said:
yaco said:
Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
Weekends should always be exciting stage and maybe a parade stage on the final Sunday - ITT's are not good viewing - They should never be on weekends.
Can you stop posting this same post over and over again? Time trials are sure as hell more interesting than a parade stage anyways.
It's my opinion which I'll post as often as i like - TT's should never be on the last 3 weekends of a GT - Weekends are reserved for exciting stages which are viewer friendly.
I agree with you about the 2nd and 3rd weekends, though not for excitement reasons. TT on those weekends restricts racing too much on the stages prior; much better to have after the rest day (so on a Tuesday).

I don't have a problem with an ITT on the final weekend. We've had some pretty exciting ones. Lance vs. Jan '03. Alberto vs. Cadel vs. Levi '07. The ITT at the end of a mostly disappointing 2012 Giro was pretty good, same with at this years Giro.

Funnily enough it's TT's that provide the best viewing for spectators....at the course. Much better than a road stage, and might be more likely to promote casual fans to being more serious than just seeing 200 riders flash past all at once, most of which are giving no obvious sign of effort.
I agree that ITT,s provide the best spectacle if you are at the race. You often have an ITT or TTT early in a GT so that means you may have one on the first weekend. Agree the best timing for an ITT is after a rest day.
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
gregrowlerson said:
yaco said:
Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
Weekends should always be exciting stage and maybe a parade stage on the final Sunday - ITT's are not good viewing - They should never be on weekends.
Can you stop posting this same post over and over again? Time trials are sure as hell more interesting than a parade stage anyways.
It's my opinion which I'll post as often as i like - TT's should never be on the last 3 weekends of a GT - Weekends are reserved for exciting stages which are viewer friendly.
I agree with you about the 2nd and 3rd weekends, though not for excitement reasons. TT on those weekends restricts racing too much on the stages prior; much better to have after the rest day (so on a Tuesday).

I don't have a problem with an ITT on the final weekend. We've had some pretty exciting ones. Lance vs. Jan '03. Alberto vs. Cadel vs. Levi '07. The ITT at the end of a mostly disappointing 2012 Giro was pretty good, same with at this years Giro.

Funnily enough it's TT's that provide the best viewing for spectators....at the course. Much better than a road stage, and might be more likely to promote casual fans to being more serious than just seeing 200 riders flash past all at once, most of which are giving no obvious sign of effort.
I agree that ITT,s provide the best spectacle if you are at the race. You often have an ITT or TTT early in a GT so that means you may have one on the first weekend. Agree the best timing for an ITT is after a rest day.
An ITT after a rest day is a pretty good option. In my opinion, an ITT for the final stage is much better for the fans than a parade stage in many ways. It makes for a real excitement till the end if the race is close. I visited the Giro final ITT in Milan and the atmosphere was awesome. I wish the Giro would finish there every year.. :cool:
 
Aug 1, 2017
10
0
0
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
hrotha said:
Oh, apparently Yiddish is easier to read than I thought, once you figure out one or two things about the spelling! Most of that could actually pass for transliterated German.
So according to lexilogs.com what LS wrote means "yo, ikh hob lib tsu zen, a groyse velosifed rase in ysrl, ober der dzhiro ditalie? ikh bin nisht zoy zikher. es iz beser, a naye rase tsu hobn, nor in ysrl." in latin latters. That basically sound like a mixture of some weird german accents. Translating it word by word to German that would probably mean "Ja, ich habe Liebe zu sehen ein großes Radrennen in Israel, aber der Giro d'Italia? Ich bin nicht so sicher. Es ist besser ein neues Rennen zu haben in Israel." The grammar is a bit off, but it's definitely understandable. In English that would mean "Yes, I would love to see a big cycling race in Israel, but the Giro d'Italia? I'm not sure. It's better to have a new race in Israel."
Hope I got that more or less right :D
Well the transliteration really looked like Luxembourgish too me at first!
But yeah you really see the German roots of this language when you transliterate it.
 
May 20, 2010
264
0
0
How likely is it for Bahrain and UAE teams to skip the Giro on sponsor orders now that Israel is official, and what would be the repercussions for the teams but also for the race?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS