• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2018 Route Rumours

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Eshnar said:
portugal11 said:
Eshnar said:
portugal11 said:
2011 giro is probably the best designed route i ever seen. We had sterratto, punchy finishes, brutal climbs, mythical climbs, unfortunately we hadn't crostis's descent and a good amount of time trials
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
We had the TTT and the ITT in milano
19 km TTT
13 km MTT
26 km ITT

58 km total, only 39 individual, only 26 flat. Not nearly enough in any Giro, let alone in one of the most mountain heavy editions ever.
Which is why portugal11 wrote that we unfortunately didn't have a good amount of TT kilometers...at least I think thats what he meant
oh sh** you're right ^^ Sorry Portugal :eek:

BlackWhiteEagle said:
Or maybe something like Wrocław TT, Opole - Kraków/Upper Silesian Industrial Region and then the suggested hilly stage to Bukowina. Just please don`t let Czesław Lang design it :p.
They need to finish in a large town to have access to an airport reasonably quickly, and journeys from Bukowina to Kraków can easily take 3-4 hrs in busy traffic (there were a lot of complaints about this during the Tour de Pologne, in 2014 Vandevalle took 4.5 hrs and nearly missed it before winning the ITT).

Czesław Lang is friends with Vegni and has already had his say on the Grande Partenza - "if there were to be one in Poland, we'd start with a road stage either in Kraków or Wrocław". :D if that were to be the case I think it would be something along the lines of what Libertine said (minus the TT), making it something like this year's start in Sardinia. Limanowa and Bielsko-Biała don't really fancy paying the "high fees" (I'm quoting direct here) for the Tour de Pologne, the Giro would probably put them off even more, so I think it would be a stage in the Tatra.

Re:

portugal11 said:
2011 giro is probably the best designed route i ever seen. We had sterratto, punchy finishes, brutal climbs, mythical climbs, unfortunately we hadn't crostis's descent and a good amount of time trials

2011 Giro was a race designers wet dream. It was so hard, that it sucked the life out of almost every rider contesting for top ten.

Talking of itt's. I'd love something like the 2009 itt. 90 minutes alone.

I am sad that the possible PR-stunt of a start in Japan seems abandoned or at least postponed. :sad:

Aside from that I was wondering if the 20th year anniversary of Marco Pantanis only Giro d'Italia victory would somehow be cherished? To me it seems like usually the Giro looks for "excuses" to celebrate him at every opportunity.

If that is the case Fedaia could be back. I base that on the fact that it is rare to use the same climbs two years in a row - which is the only good point of Oropa and Piancavallo used in the same year. Hopefully they wont be there the following one. Pantani-mountains of 1998 other than Fedaia and Piancavallo of course includes Montecampione as well as others.

I like the idea of Monte Catria and Monte Nerone and a really hard stage in the appenines. This year of course there were Blockhaus but as a whole it was disappointing to see the appenines somewhat downplayed.

The double ascent of Zoncolan especially from the third side (the one not yet used) also seems intriguing.

Aosta-stage would be nice with Courmayeur however disappointing with Cervinia.

I fear Prato Nevoso could become something like this years Oropa-stage - a good for nothing climb.

Anyway I will be looking forward to more rumours and news about next year :)

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

[/quote]
We had the TTT and the ITT in milano[/quote]
19 km TTT
13 km MTT
26 km ITT

58 km total, only 39 individual, only 26 flat. Not nearly enough in any Giro, let alone in one of the most mountain heavy editions ever.[/quote]
My english isn't perfect :( I wanted to say that il 2011 giro didn't have a good amount of time trials

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Courmayeur has two very nice MTF options - Val Veny and Val Ferret. Colle S. Carlo is a bit further down the road (Pre Saint Didier/ Mortgex/ La Thuille) and can be used perhaps with Petit S Bernard before.

BTW - as an Israeli, I quite like the rumors on the 2018 Grande Partenza in the holy city for the 3 religions. There are some great hills around, too!

What I would like to see:

A genuinely difficult medium mountain stage on 4 or 5.
A reasonably long and reasonably flat ITT on stage 7.
A genuine multi mountain - high mountain - stage on 8 or 9. Thus you don't have a backloaded route.

Another genuinely difficult medium mountain stage somewhere in week 2. Which comes immediately after a really tough MTF.

In week 3:
A tougher dolomites stage, including Fedaia (if only for LS).
Finestre. Because it is the best climb in cycling.
Do not do double Zoncolan. And not only for the gimmick side of it. I'm not even sure that Crostis with Zoncolan is great for the race, at least if you are planning to have it on the final weekend. You run the risk of having the riders race the reminder of the route like it's 2012. But just Zoncolan is okay.
Final ITT in Milan, similar length to this year.
Other two stages in final week can be a flat stage, and a rolling stage. Or instead of one of these, maybe a 10-15 km MTT.

I agree, those are some nice suggestions. I guess we are all pretty much in the same boat: a decent amount of timetrialing (similar to this year), some hard medium mountain stages including a really hard MTF relatively early (there are lots of opportunities for that - San Pellegrino in Alpe, Blockhaus, Monte Beigua..) in the Apennines and better usage of the Alps in the last week, especially a proper Dolomite stage.

By the way, Mortirolo > Finestre :p

Re:

Yingge said:
Can't imagine a Jerusalem start as that would probably count the Middle East sponsored teams out. Croatia could probably work without the need for a rest day to cater for the transfer.

UAE:
"Israel – United Arab Emirates relations do not currently exist. The United Arab Emirates does not recognize Israel as a state and the two countries do not have diplomatic or economic relations."

Bahrain-Merida:
"The relations between Bahrain and Israel refers to the current and historical relations between Bahrain and Israel. Relations are generally tense and the two states do not have diplomatic and economic relations. Like most Arab states, Bahrain does not recognize Israel and traditionally supports the creation of an independent Palestinian state."

Did I miss any out, or are there only those two Arabic sponsored teams? Do any teams have 'hidden' Middle Eastern sponsors?

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Prefer Kraków to Wrocław of the Polish options, would be able to do a TT, then a hilly stage somewhere like Bukowina Tatrzańska, Limanowa or Zakopane (even Bielsko-Biała) then back to somewhere in the Katowice urban chain before transferring back to Italy. From Wrocław I suspect best possibility would be a stage to Karpacz.

No Warsaw?
I'd like to see A Lublin to Warsaw stage, if possible. Both are beautiful towns with a ton of historical significance. I can't imagine they won't include Warsaw in one of the stages.

Ruby United said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Prefer Kraków to Wrocław of the Polish options, would be able to do a TT, then a hilly stage somewhere like Bukowina Tatrzańska, Limanowa or Zakopane (even Bielsko-Biała) then back to somewhere in the Katowice urban chain before transferring back to Italy. From Wrocław I suspect best possibility would be a stage to Karpacz.

No Warsaw?
I'd like to see A Lublin to Warsaw stage, if possible. Both are beautiful towns with a ton of historical significance. I can't imagine they won't include Warsaw in one of the stages.
Warsaw has been never mentioned so far in the context of stage start/finish.

Kyllingen86 said:
Aside from that I was wondering if the 20th year anniversary of Marco Pantanis only Giro d'Italia victory would somehow be cherished? To me it seems like usually the Giro looks for "excuses" to celebrate him at every opportunity.

If that is the case Fedaia could be back. I base that on the fact that it is rare to use the same climbs two years in a row - which is the only good point of Oropa and Piancavallo used in the same year. Hopefully they wont be there the following one. Pantani-mountains of 1998 other than Fedaia and Piancavallo of course includes Montecampione as well as others.
Hmmm, I'm guessing that a foray into France hasn't been rumoured, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Les Deux Alpes finish in honour of him doing the double.

amih77 said:
Courmayeur has two very nice MTF options - Val Veny and Val Ferret. Colle S. Carlo is a bit further down the road (Pre Saint Didier/ Mortgex/ La Thuille) and can be used perhaps with Petit S Bernard before.

BTW - as an Israeli, I quite like the rumors on the 2018 Grande Partenza in the holy city for the 3 religions. There are some great hills around, too!

Brullnux said:
Both would be Aprica style mtfs, and I don't know how much space there is for a finish in Val Ferret

I apologise, Val Ferret is far steeper than I thought it was.

DUMEdu3.jpg

I would be down for this stage, however. That finish looks perfect.

If they want to honor Pantani they better climb Passo di Giovo / Jaufenpass once again. Maybe with descent finish or a mtf at Merano 2000.

Alpe di Pampeago is paved from the Reiterjoch side for a few years now. So it would be possible to do the annual Dolomites stage in reverse and finish on top of the Reiterjoch.

Wasn't Lienz keen to host a Giro stage this year already? Copy Lienz - Meran in honor of Pantani.

I'd love a Kronplatz / Plan de Corones or Drei Zinnen / Tre Cime mtt. Preferably Drei Zinnen because of the fantastic scenery.

Gavia, Fauniera, wtc. should be back rather than another time of Finestre or Mortirolo.

A long tt around Lake Garda followed up by a Unipublic like stage finish on top of Punta Veleno sounds attractive, but unrealistic. A long tt through the South Tyrol vineyards should be doable though. Sandwiched by some mountain stages maybe.

Oh and I'm sick of the same Sella, Pordoi etc. Dolomites stages. There are nice Dolomites cols in South Tyrol as well. Although it ain't realistic to send up the Giro peleton to the Plätzwiesen.

Agnello -> Izoard -> Lautaret -> les Deux Alpes.

But like I said, Giovo, Tre Cime mtt, the Dolomites stage in reverse direction with a Reiterjoch mtf, Gavia, Zoncolan twice ... Bring on the show! :D

There are so many combos out there. Giau/Tre Cime, Giau/Fedaia, Giovo/Pennes, Fauniera/Sampeyre (and even Agnello!), Finestre/Sestriere, Mortirolo/Aprica and hundreds of other very demanding one/two punches that I probably don't even know off. It honestly shouldn't be that hard to come of up with something, especially not in the Dolomites, the possibilities for great stages there are endless.

Re:

staubsauger said:
If they want to honor Pantani they better climb Passo di Giovo / Jaufenpass once again. Maybe with descent finish or a mtf at Merano 2000.

Alpe di Pampeago is paved from the Reiterjoch side for a few years now. So it would be possible to do the annual Dolomites stage in reverse and finish on top of the Reiterjoch.

Wasn't Lienz keen to host a Giro stage this year already? Copy Lienz - Meran in honor of Pantani.

I'd love a Kronplatz / Plan de Corones or Drei Zinnen / Tre Cime mtt. Preferably Drei Zinnen because of the fantastic scenery.

Gavia, Fauniera, wtc. should be back rather than another time of Finestre or Mortirolo.

A long tt around Lake Garda followed up by a Unipublic like stage finish on top of Punta Veleno sounds attractive, but unrealistic. A long tt through the South Tyrol vineyards should be doable though. Sandwiched by some mountain stages maybe.

Oh and I'm sick of the same Sella, Pordoi etc. Dolomites stages. There are nice Dolomites cols in South Tyrol as well. Although it ain't realistic to send up the Giro peleton to the Plätzwiesen.

Agnello -> Izoard -> Lautaret -> les Deux Alpes.

But like I said, Giovo, Tre Cime mtt, the Dolomites stage in reverse direction with a Reiterjoch mtf, Gavia, Zoncolan twice ... Bring on the show! :D

If you want to honor Pantani properly, there is only one way. The perfect stage, the perfect drama. The tappone that made Pantani a man and me a cycling fan.

1491978153305.png

Eshnar said:
fauniera said:
May i propose this:

Will be the queen stage of my new Giro. ;)

Most of these climbs are criminally underused by the Giro.
You pass along Prati di Köhl and you don't climb it?
Disappointing.
:p
Hah, there's even a gravel roads towards the Schneiderwiesen Alm isn't it?

Zomegnan probably would like to use the “Alte Jenesier Straße“ for a mtt and / or re-pave the Rafensteiner Bergstraße. Just imagine some nice close-up shots when Fabio Aru attempts the 30% section! :lol:

TRENDING THREADS