• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2018 Route Rumours

Here is our mandatory thread. Unlike last year, there are already a lot of rumours. Too many. Half of them must be bull****, so take them with a pinch of salt.

Starting location:
The most recent (and insistent) rumour is Jerusalem. I find it weird for political reasons, but that's what they say. Plan B is Poland, plan C is Croatia.

On to Italy:
They might restart from Sicily after the transfer and then make a route kind of similar to this year.
There are rumours about stages in Puglia, Lazio (Rieti or Terminillo), Abruzzo (Francavilla), Umbria (Gualdo Tadino), Marche (an ITT between Fano and Iesi and/or a mountain stage involving Monte Catria and Monte Nerone).
From the Appennines they should go west, with a very likely MTF to Prato Nevoso (or surroundings) and another mountain stage in Valle d'Aosta (probably Cervinia or Courmayeur).
The route will probably end on the east side, where there are a bunch of stages rumoured in Veneto (too many to list). Here the mountain stages should be three. One almost fixed involving Zoncolan (they say twice, from Ovaro and Priola, but they said the same in 2014 and look what we got...), one in Trentino (Passo Vezzena or Sega di Ala, or somewhere in between), and one in Veneto (Monte Grappa again?). Kronplatz and Sorgenti del Piave already had their annual rumour show up on the newspapers... we'll see.
In terms of TTing, there are three somewhat legitimate rumours: Fano - Iesi, Rimini - S.Marino, Franciacorta. Of course they won't be all in, but one of them yes, maybe even two.
As for the finishing town, no clue yet.

EDIT: Possible draft (Nov 27th):

1 Jerusalem ITT
2 Haifa - Tel Aviv
3 Be'er Sheva - Eilat

4 Catania-Caltagirone
5 Agrigento-Santa Ninfa(Valle del Belice)
6 Caltanissetta-Etna(Osservatorio Astrofisico)
7 Pizzo Calabro - Scalea (with some hill but probably for sprinters)
8 Praia a Mare - Montevergine (MTF)
9 Pesco Sannita - Campo Imperatore (MTF)

10 Penne - Gualdo Tadino (very long, probably for breakaway)
11 Assisi - Osimo (could be full of little walls)
12 Filottrano or Osimo - Imola (hilly)
13 Ferrara - Nervesa della Battaglia (tricky finale, but for sprinters)
14 S.Vito al Tagliamento - Zoncolan (MTF)
15 Tolmezzo - Sappada (a few decent climbs with final easy drag... let's hope for the best)

16 Trento - Rovereto ITT (flat in the valley, ~33 km)
17 Arco - Monza (sprint)
18 Milano - Prato Nevoso (MTF)
19 Venaria - Monte Jafferau (Lys(?), Finestre, Sestriere)
20 Susa - Cervinia (Lys(?), Tze Core, St.Pantaleon)
21 ??? - Roma (parade)

Eshnar said:
Starting location:
The most recent (and insistent) rumour is Jerusalem. I find it weird for political reasons, but that's what they say. Plan B is Poland, plan C is Croatia.

Polish media are still informing that Poland has not definitely lost its chances yet. Vegni, when asked if Poland is already out of the race, answered: "Poland is a new, interesting market for the cycling. We must take into account not only the sporting aspect, but also political and marketing factors". That was after Conti announced in RAI that Giro 2018 will not start in Poland.

Source (in Polish only), dated 18 May:
https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/kolarstwo/688034/giro-ditalia-2018-jednak-wystartuje-w-polsce

Giro 2017 wildcard for CCC is linked sometimes to the fact that Giro 2018 is to start from Poland. Also, some have noticed that Czeslaw Lang (former Polish professional rider who for a long time lived in Italy, currently organizing the biggest local events like Tour of Poland, NCs etc.) was attending pre-Giro 2017 organizers meeting and was the only foreigner being present there.

If Poland is ultimately confirmed, cities of Krakow and Wroclaw are mentioned as possible starting locations. They are both large, historical and provide a variety of tourist attractions, as well as necessary logistic background (hotels, airports etc.). Also, the terrain around them is quite diversified, enabling various design of first stages - from pancake flat to hilly ones (including HTFs).

I could imagine they are planning double Zonc on the penultimate day which probably will hamper the mountain stages before that one, but it sounds amazing still. I can't wait for pretty much all journalists and experts to deem it too hard and inhuman

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Oh god, not another Cervinia stage. Ok, the last one was a good "transitional" stage between 2 more exciting mountain stages and it was really long to wear the riders out before the Finestre stage, but it's not a great climb.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Oh god, not another Cervinia stage. Ok, the last one was a good "transitional" stage between 2 more exciting mountain stages and it was really long to wear the riders out before the Finestre stage, but it's not a great climb.
Nah, Cervinia is such a meh climb honestly. Im no expert, certainly not regarding possible finish destinations in Aosta, but it shouldn't be hard to come up with something not just better, but much better.

Edit: Profile of Courmayeur?

Croatia would be brilliant for the route, some really nice hills and the possibility to work through Friuli if they decide to mix it up a bit.

Really hope it's not Israel. I think the Russian teams may also have a problem with it starting there, and it wouldn't exactly be a ringing endorsement of human rights, not that they care with Bahrain et al setting up teams.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
What Yingge said. UAE and Bahrain would definitely not be happy with and possibly boycott an Israeli start.
yes that's what I think as well.

Valv.Piti said:
Nah, Cervinia is such a meh climb honestly. Im no expert, certainly not regarding possible finish destinations in Aosta, but it shouldn't be hard to come up with something not just better, but much better.
Well hard to disagree. For example, the other rumoured possibility, Courmayeur, has always been a wet dream of mine...
edit: Courmayeur is in a valley (at the foot of Monte Bianco), it would not be a MTF. But there's Colle S.Carlo in a very nice position :)

Valv.Piti said:
Mayomaniac said:

Edit: Profile of Courmayeur?
Courmayuer isn't a climb, but it would be a downhill/rolling finish from one of the many Aostan climbs. Nus or even Aosta would be a nice finish too, but Courma is far prettier. A finish at Fénis would be cool, but I'm not sure it's doable.

Edit: eshnar beat me to it.

Coermayeur after Colle San Carlo would mean a 10 km, 10 % climb followed by 15 km descent and 5 km false flat to Coermayeur.

SanCarloE.gif

The best option in Aosta would probably be a descent finish. If they absolutely want to have an uphill finish, they should try Pila instead of Cervinia.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I just hope that the (double) Zoncolan won't be the final mountain stage, if it's at the start of the 3rd week or even right before the final mountain stage that allows long range attack then it's a good option, but not as the last mountain stage.
A mountain stage that involves Monte Catria and Monte Nerone before the 3rd week would be pretty sweet, give us a stage that is similar to the 2009 Monte Petrano stage and you already have something that prevents the Giro from being too backloaded.
Yesterday the mayor of Milano said on RAI that they'd like to keep an ITT that finishes on Piazza Duomo for the next 2-3 years and that they'll start talks this week, but it's not a done deal.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
I just hope that the (double) Zoncolan won't be the final mountain stage, if it's at the start of the 3rd week or even right before the final mountain stage that allows long range attack then it's a good option, but not as the last mountain stage.
A mountain stage that involves Monte Catria and Monte Nerone before the 3rd week would be pretty sweet, give us a stage that is similar to the 2009 Monte Petrano stage and you already have something that prevents the Giro from being too backloaded.
Yesterday the mayor of Milano said on RAI that they'd like to keep an ITT that finishes on Piazza Duomo for the next 2-3 years and that they'll start talks this week, but it's not a done deal.
Interesting, I missed that. If it's the case it'd be highly unlikely to have a MTF on Zonc the day before. The transfer would be huge. Much more likely to have the Veneto or Trentino mountain stage as last one.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Eshnar said:
Mayomaniac said:
Interesting, I missed that. If it's the case it'd be highly unlikely to have a MTF on Zonc the day before. The transfer would be huge. Much more likely to have the Veneto or Trentino mountain stage as last one.
Yes, a longer transfer after the 2nd restday and Zoncolan at the start of the 3rd week, that wouldn't be a bad option.

Eshnar said:
Mayomaniac said:
Prato di Nago and then all he way op to Rifugio Altissimo as penultimate climb please

Jerusalem? Yeah, cool. Hopefully they include a Gaza ttt as well!

Wonder why they never started with a Tripolis prologue in the Gaddafi days. Would've been nice to see Di Luca with Muammar and Vanessa Hessler at the team presentation.

[Warning: This post includes sarcasm]

Uhm... the Giro (2017 version, in case anyone had any doubts) ended just yesterday, and people are already speculating about next year's route.
You guys are crazy!

Has the Giro organisers made it into a "rule" to have a foreign country start every-other year?

I am pretty sure they will include Vittorio Veneto and other parts linked to the Great War. Maybe even finish there like in 1988. At the same time I cannot imagine stages in Croatia. ;)

If they go to Sicily I'd love to have a real hard medium mountain stage on parts of Targa Florio or into Monti Iblei, but please no Etna at all.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Uhm... the Giro (2017 version, in case anyone had any doubts) ended just yesterday, and people are already speculating about next year's route.
You guys are crazy!

Has the Giro organisers made it into a "rule" to have a foreign country start every-other year?
Already during last year edition there were rumors for the 2018 one, like the return of the Zoncolan, i remember Cainero (the organizer of Friulan stages) talking of it during the pre race show of Rai in the stage of Cividale.
And don't forget that will be important because of the celebration of WWI, for this reason last year we had already have very early candidatures from locations like Vittorio Veneto and Sorgenti del Piave.