• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2018 stage 14:S.Vito Tagliamento-Monte Zoncolan 186km

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Really as expected result given Dumu's and Yates' strengths. They're neck and neck for GC. Yates will keep gaining seconds in the mountains, but it will be tight whether it is enough to hold off Tom in the TT. Froome establishing himself as clear 3rd favorite now. If he stays on form, he'll have at least third. I estimate Yates will lose 2 minutes in the ITT.

pastronef said:
to donate for the pet-rabbits association call 411-400-888

you all are ridiculous.
if wished you cared as much for the Bahrain population as for the pet-rabbits

What does stealing and killing a pet have to do with Bahrain? Your reasoning is ridiculous. It's sad if you don't have the heart to comprehend neither the bond a person can have with a pet, nor the value of an animal's life.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Not_as_bad_as

Re: Giro 2018 stage 14:S.Vito Tagliamento-Monte Zoncolan 186

I 've gotta say today once again showed me that I prefer traditional 8%climbs over those steep gimmick steep mounatins. If raced properly, the normal once create as least as big gaps and the racing just Looks so nuch more dynamic.

Red Rick said:
burning said:
Escarabajo said:
Pantani_lives said:
It's hard to believe that Dumoulin's time was seven seconds faster than Basso in 2010.
Wow. I wasn't expecting that. Having said that, they have similar weight anyway!

Actually thats sort of expected for me. The racing in the 2010 Giro was very hard, multiple stages were already a bloodbath by the zonc stage
Wasn't the Zoncolan like the 12th straight day before a rest day with carnage wherever possible? 2010 was a crazy Giro
Wout Poels setting the pace on the first half of the climb is probably the explanation.

spiritualride said:
Really as expected result given Dumu's and Yates' strengths. They're neck and neck for GC. Yates will keep gaining seconds in the mountains, but it will be tight whether it is enough to hold off Tom in the TT. Froome establishing himself as clear 3rd favorite now. If he stays on form, he'll have at least third. I estimate Yates will lose 2 minutes in the ITT.

pastronef said:
to donate for the pet-rabbits association call 411-400-888

you all are ridiculous.
if wished you cared as much for the Bahrain population as for the pet-rabbits

What does stealing and killing a pet have to do with Bahrain? Your reasoning is ridiculous. It's sad if you don't have the heart to comprehend neither the bond a person can have with a pet, nor the value of an animal's life.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Not_as_bad_as
Interesting webpage!

Bavarianrider said:
I 've gotta say today once again showed me that I prefer traditional 8%climbs over those steep gimmick steep mounatins. If raced properly, the normal once create as least as big gaps and the racing just Looks so nuch more dynamic.
Normally I'd agree with you, but I think it was hard not being at the edge of the sofa seat in those last 3 km's as Yates came closer and closer to Froome, but never managed to quite get there. Best ascent of Zoncolan in many years, if you ask me (I think Angliru has traditionally been much more entertaining than Zoncolan).

58teeth said:
Great stage, but I present to you the CC auto-generated by YouTube. Some real winners in here! :lol: :lol: (apologies for the formatting...I tried, but couldn't get it to word wrap).
"course Elia Viviani and the
Malian chick them in over to Kara Pass"

:lol:

"Italy takes it from hilarity of Conte Oscar in Italian"

"Didier of trick Sega Fredo
taking forth four bits in 25 seconds is
the lead with the main containment tube"

"we lost medicine at Moscow and then the last
couple of climbs "

"pops of Evo"

"still peddling without muy ticklish
dehydrated style is Chris Froome"

"we have the medical pots of evil 20 seconds"

:lol: :lol:

"Tom tubulin ships 37 seconds to the Tour de France winner"

Pops of Evo and Medical Pots of Evil.

My god Pozzovivo has the best name

Yeah it depends - sometimes the super-steep ones are ridden conservatively as riders are scared of going into the red, as the cost of blowing up is so high. On the other hand the elimination of drafting means that it's a straight shootout between the contenders, and the advantage of having a train of super doms is vastly lessened. Some of the 6-7% perfectly engineered ski station climbs in the Tour just aren't that selective any more and can be basically neutralised by a Sky-type train. What's best is irregular climbs - different parts will suit different weight riders, eg steep parts can be used by featherweight riders to get away, and flatter bits can let the diesels catch back up.

There is so much bias *** on here

No more so that the bigging up of Formolo ....who was going to win the Giro, was then going to be on the podium, was going to win the Zoncolon and now couldnt cos he put on 2kg of muscle...yet he managed to finish behind Dumoulin who is alot bigger and with Dennis who is also a much bigger man

Enough of the bull
The kid is not the world beater you guys are so happy to push

Red Rick said:
burning said:
Escarabajo said:
Pantani_lives said:
It's hard to believe that Dumoulin's time was seven seconds faster than Basso in 2010.
Wow. I wasn't expecting that. Having said that, they have similar weight anyway!

Actually thats sort of expected for me. The racing in the 2010 Giro was very hard, multiple stages were already a bloodbath by the zonc stage
Wasn't the Zoncolan like the 12th straight day before a rest day with carnage wherever possible? 2010 was a crazy Giro

Also was a Mortirolo-Zoncolon stage if I remember correctly

Re:

vedrafjord said:
Yeah it depends - sometimes the super-steep ones are ridden conservatively as riders are scared of going into the red, as the cost of blowing up is so high. On the other hand the elimination of drafting means that it's a straight shootout between the contenders, and the advantage of having a train of super doms is vastly lessened. Some of the 6-7% perfectly engineered ski station climbs in the Tour just aren't that selective any more and can be basically neutralised by a Sky-type train. What's best is irregular climbs - different parts will suit different weight riders, eg steep parts can be used by featherweight riders to get away, and flatter bits can let the diesels catch back up.

Some posters will also just complain if they feel like it, and base their opinion on a climb and a stage as a result of the outcome of the race (if a rider they dislike does well they might diss the parcours).

With the irregular climbs, I don't know. Posters often complain if a climb starts steep, flattens out, then steepens again, because riders wait for the last couple of kms. To the contrary, many posters didn't like the last climb of last years Giro, because it finished on a plateau.

Anyway, although very much over used, the Alp Duez is one of the better MTF's in cycling because it is pretty long, and reasonably steep; enough to create gaps all over the mountain, but not too steep to make it look too slow and possibly less attractive for accelerations and so forth. You can attack on it anywhere from the base to the top, with success. There is not really a flatter section anywhere to deter a long range attack.

The best overall climb in cycling imo is Finestre, as it's long, consistently steep (but 9% gives more potential to see 'racing' than 12%), and has the added variable of gravel roads for the last 45% of the climb. It's also advantaged by not being a MTF. This year we get to see if it can create as much excitement when being 75 kms from the finish, as when being less than 40 kms from it.

Red Rick said:
burning said:
Escarabajo said:
Pantani_lives said:

That strade stage alone was harder then this entire Giro combined

More Strides than Rides said:
Red Rick said:
burning said:
Escarabajo said:
Pantani_lives said:

Also was a Mortirolo-Zoncolon stage if I remember correctly

It had more or less the same climbs as this stage.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
There is so much bias **** on here

No more so that the bigging up of Formolo ....who was going to win the Giro, was then going to be on the podium, was going to win the Zoncolon and now couldnt cos he put on 2kg of muscle...yet he managed to finish behind Dumoulin who is alot bigger and with Dennis who is also a much bigger man

Enough of the bull
The kid is not the world beater you guys are so happy to push

Now I dont read everything anymore these days, but this is the first time Iread something about formolo winning the giro.
Ive read some stuff about him not losing time on the etna he would be high in gc, which was true, but he did lose time there, most likely because of the crash though.

Kwibus said:
Now I dont read everything anymore these days, but this is the first time Iread something about formolo winning the giro.
Ive read some stuff about him not losing time on the etna he would be high in gc, which was true, but he did lose time there, most likely because of the crash though.
I have to admit I was hyping Formolo a bit before Zoncolan. I truly believed he only lost time on Etna because of the crash.
Turns out this his level on high mountains just isn't good enough, the crash affected him but didn't cost him a high place in GC. Perhaps he should rethink himself as a rider. He seems much more explosive than he used to be, he's been good in LBL the past two years and on walls during this Giro. He should probably target hilly classics/one week stage races and beomc e stage hunter in GTs.