• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2019 Field Discussion/Speculation

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

roundabout said:
Well, duh. Very few GC riders can do 2 GTs consecutively at a high level so for lesser GC riders who are unlikely to win the Tour having 2 attempts at GC and not having to face July-Sky is kind of an obvious choice.

Or the Giro route just flat out FITS those GC riders much better than the Tour route does. Which is true for several. Then you have at the very least Nibali and Valverde who prefer the Giro to the Tour to begin with.

Re:

roundabout said:
Well, duh. Very few GC riders can do 2 GTs consecutively at a high level so for lesser GC riders who are unlikely to win the Tour having 2 attempts at GC and not having to face July-Sky is kind of an obvious choice.
And the French, Porte, Kruijswijk and probably a few quite big names as well, but you are right. Its pretty insane and I love it.

Nibs, Dumo, Rogla, Simon, Egan, Mas, Lopez Landa/Valv... damn.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Wasn't Mas supposed to target the Tour? I think he is interested in the white jersey and a potentially stage win.
If I remember correctly Mas said he wants to go to the tour while his team said they want to send him to the giro. That said, now that so many big guns are targeting the giro I think him going to France is getting more likely. He was extremely good on the one climb stages in the vuelta this year so I think the shorter tdf mountain stages might suit him more than the brutally long ones in next years giro and possibly even more important, the young riders classification of the tour is waaaaaay more prestigious than the one at the giro so winning white in July would both be likely and a massive success for the team.

Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Velolover2 said:
Wasn't Mas supposed to target the Tour? I think he is interested in the white jersey and a potentially stage win.
If I remember correctly Mas said he wants to go to the tour while his team said they want to send him to the giro. That said, now that so many big guns are targeting the giro I think him going to France is getting more likely. He was extremely good on the one climb stages in the vuelta this year so I think the shorter tdf mountain stages might suit him more than the brutally long ones in next years giro and possibly even more important, the young riders classification of the tour is waaaaaay more prestigious than the one at the giro so winning white in July would both be likely and a massive success for the team.
He was 2nd in the Vuelta. He shouldn't be thinking about white jerseys.

In fact. If Mas does think about white jerseys then he should be disqualified on the basis that his hairline has receded all the way back up to a place where the sun don't shine by the time the Tour happens.

EQS TTT strength is the upside of the Tour for Mas. But he's a bit of a dark horse for either race. I think he's a little too young to go Giro/Vuelta, but then EQS will probably bring the sprint train for Viviani and Alaphilippe will want to go stage hunting. Overall, Mas going Giro suits the team a lot better I think.

Gigs_98 said:
Velolover2 said:

Yeah, I was my thoughts exactly.

With three time trials, Jungels might be the obvious choice for the Giro although the mountain stages are a bit too hard for him. A top 10 is still possible.

And btw, it's also confirmed in the polish article I posted, that Formolo is their plan-B if Majka fails to deliver. Hope you will add them to the list. :D

Koronin said:
Velolover2 said:
Which one of their big guns are EF sending to the Giro? Woods or Uran? Woods to the Giro and Uran to the Tour seems most likely.

I suppose Tejay will be more of a superdom/road captain for the leader these days.

Uran will go to the Tour.
By far the best choice. And those super-long and high 6-7% mountains aren't exactly Woods' speciality.

I think he will do another Giro-Vuelta.

But Red Rick is also right. It's about Quickstep's priorities.

WIth Mas, they have a podium candidate for the Giro. On the other hand, the Giro field is just as strong and there is a good chance of a higher position and a almost safe white jersey in the Tour.

What will they choose?

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Cavendish should consider riding the Giro again. Could turn out to be a morale boosting move. The sprinting field seems quite weak.

I'm not sure he can beat Viviani, Gaviria and Ewan anymore who are all going to the Tour.
Viviani will go to the Giro 100%.
And according to Gazzetta, Gaviria is also in...
Adding them to OP...

Eshnar said:
Velolover2 said:
Cavendish should consider riding the Giro again. Could turn out to be a morale boosting move. The sprinting field seems quite weak.

I'm not sure he can beat Viviani, Gaviria and Ewan anymore who are all going to the Tour.
Adding them to OP...
Are you sure? Maybe the Tour is a better alternative for him then. ;)

Velolover2 said:
Eshnar said:
Velolover2 said:

Adding them to OP...
Are you sure? Maybe the Tour is a better alternative for him then. ;)
It's not an either/or situation. Sprinters can race the easy part of the Giro and then leave. (Viviani can probably complete both GTs and still be competitive, assuming he "peaks" pretty much all season, like this year)

Ewan has also not ruled out racing the Giro, even though his main goal is the Tour.

TRENDING THREADS