• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2019 Field Discussion/Speculation

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Armchair cyclist said:
Red Rick said:
fauniera said:
Gigs_98 said:
Would be funny if sky sends bernal to the tour instead of the giro to get the podium sweep :D
First the Giro (which he will win), then the Tour (to help the old british dudes). Obviously.
To help the old british dudes to #2nd and #3rd after yours truly

Red Rick to win the Tour, supported by Team Sky?
I was talking about Egan Bernal

Maybe I was also talking about Red Rick :eek:

Re: Re:

rick james said:
yaco said:
I'm fairly confident that no Sky rider will win the 2019 TDF - Froome is on the decline and can Thomas repeat his form - Strangest thing is this the best TDF profile for a number of years.
We’ve been hearing Froome is on the decline for the last 3 years

Facts are indisputable - His winning margin has been reduced in his last three TDF victories,while the Giro win was a fluke.

yaco said:
rick james said:
yaco said:
I'm fairly confident that no Sky rider will win the 2019 TDF - Froome is on the decline and can Thomas repeat his form - Strangest thing is this the best TDF profile for a number of years.

Facts are indisputable - His winning margin has been reduced in his last three TDF victories,while the Giro win was a fluke.

What an astute observation - the only TDF win after which he did not start another GT with an aim of riding for GC did indeed have the biggest winning margin. Wow.

yaco said:
rick james said:
yaco said:

A fluke? Oh my sweet baby Jesus and the baby orphans....a fluke? One of the greatest rides ever in a grand tour is now called a fluke

yaco said:
rick james said:
yaco said:

19th stage was the best performance since decades. And don't you remember how was he playing with Dumo on the next stage, 20th?

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
yaco said:
rick james said:
yaco said:

19th stage was the best performance since decades. And don't you remember how was he playing with Dumo on the next stage, 20th?
Scripted reality, Froome's Giro d'Italia win was scripted reality!

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
yaco said:
rick james said:
yaco said:

That's not really an argument though. The only thing we saw that day was that Froome was capable of covering Dumoulin's attacks and anyway if we make a count of the days where one looked stronger than the other it would without a doubt be in Dumoulin's favor. It really only was one day where he was way stronger than Dumo and on that one day he gained more time than Dumoulin on all the days where he was stronger combined.

Gigs_98 said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
yaco said:
rick james said:
yaco said:

That's not really an argument though. The only thing we saw that day was that Froome was capable of covering Dumoulin's attacks and anyway if we make a count of the days where one looked stronger than the other it would without a doubt be in Dumoulin's favor. It really only was one day where he was way stronger than Dumo and on that one day he gained more time than Dumoulin on all the days where he was stronger combined.
First, there was Zoncolan unforgettable battle between him and Simon: a few km with a few seconds gap, second: Froome's crashes, and finally on 20th stage that's not the point Froome was capable of (...) but he really put Dumo down.

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Koronin said:
Bot. Sky_Bot, I like your new profile picture more than the previous one.

Ups, the previous one was from Ponferrada'2014 finish line and Kwiatek was in our national colours.
I thought they were more neutral than Sky kits colours.

I understand. It wasn't a bad photo, just like this one better. Although part of it is likely because blue is my favorite color and the new kits have some blue in them. (Part of why I like Quickstep's kits.)

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
According to Kristoff, Aru will lead UAE and be the sole leader - meaning no sprinters.
seems Aru hasn't decided yet.
Fabio Aru non ha ancora deciso su quale Grande Giro puntare nel 2019.
https://cyclingpro.net/spaziociclismo/worldtour/uae-team-emirates-aru-debutta-a-maiorca-e-ammette-il-tour-mi-si-addice-piu-del-giro/
google tranlated
"If at first his participation in the Corsa Rosa seemed in fact obvious, as also confirmed by the statements of some teammates like Alexander Kristoff, to cast doubt on the same was the direct interested, interviewed by RadioCorsa."

Tim Booth said:
Alexandre B. said:
According to Kristoff, Aru will lead UAE and be the sole leader - meaning no sprinters.
https://cyclingpro.net/spaziociclismo/worldtour/uae-team-emirates-aru-debutta-a-maiorca-e-ammette-il-tour-mi-si-addice-piu-del-giro/
google tranlated
"If at first his participation in the Corsa Rosa seemed in fact obvious, as also confirmed by the statements of some teammates like Alexander Kristoff, to cast doubt on the same was the direct interested, interviewed by RadioCorsa."

Aru would be better focusing on the TDF or the Vuelta - he'll lose too much time in the 3 ITT's to be a serious factor.

yaco said:
Tim Booth said:
Alexandre B. said:
google tranlated

Aru would be better focusing on the TDF or the Vuelta - he'll lose too much time in the 3 ITT's to be a serious factor.
Except his best ride in this year's Giro was the ITT.

Problem with assessing Froome's riding is very simply that he has absolutely nothing to compare his Finestre performance to. The performance is as rare as it's stage design.

In that regard, it is perhaps smarter to use the Zoncolan stage for comparison, as that was his 2nd best day in the race, and it actually is comparable to other performances as it's pretty much your 40 minute all out W/kg drag race. And in that regard it's probably his best performance in a while too.

But I do think it's easy to misunderstand how riders decline. I think the top level on certain days stays much longer than the day in, day out consistency that is required to win GTs.

Froome still has incredible days of form, but his consistency is getting worse and I think it's hard to deny that. And it's much more likely that will be his undoing as a GT winner than not having his big surges of form.

TRENDING THREADS