• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2019 Field Discussion/Speculation

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Viviani is a bit of surprise, early he said that both Giro and Tour won't fit with his WC ambitions for next year, but is understandable if with Quick-Step train at his service he wants to rack up the more GT stage wins he can instead of sacrificing one between Giro and Tour to focus on a race where probably he won't even finish in the first group.

Viviani has exactly 0 chance to make the final selection at the Worlds RR, and in my opinion any national coach that brings him to this Worlds should be fired immediately.

There is nothing Vivani can do on that except waste space.

It's incredibly obvious that Trentin and Moscon are the best bets for Italy on that route.

QS are absolutely right to bring Viviani to the Giro.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Viviani has exactly 0 chance to make the final selection at the Worlds RR, and in my opinion any national coach that brings him to this Worlds should be fired immediately.

It's incredibly obvious that Trentin and Moscon are the best bets for Italy on that route.

If Viviani wants to be the leader I'm pretty sure Cassani will allow him to lead the team because he thinks is an easy course, he has already done that last year in Bergen and this year in Glasgow both times with Colbrelly as backup because he thought that were easy courses and both times there were both nowhere to be seen.

Re: Re:

Nirvana said:
Red Rick said:

If Viviani wants to be the leader I'm pretty sure Cassani will allow him to lead the team because he thinks is an easy course, he has already done that last year in Bergen and this year in Glasgow both times with Colbrelly as backup because he thought that were easy courses and both times there were both nowhere to be seen.
Isn't it the ONE JOB of Cassani to make sure he knows the Worlds route?

Who was the designated team leader in Richmond?

What the hell does that guy do all year?

Red Rick said:
Nirvana said:
Red Rick said:

Sagan.

Red Rick said:
Nirvana said:
Red Rick said:

What the hell does that guy do all year?
Everytime there is an event, a celebration or something cycling related there is him, if he has a wife or a child probably they didn't even remember last time he was at home because he's always somewhere around :lol:

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
They were obviously being sarcastic, but let me say it this way: If you are from the NL and are following TdF because of Mollema you really arent that much into cycling to begin with.
His royal Baukiness is always a sight to behold. That is, if he doesn't Zubeldia his way into a top 10. If not, he's in attack mode and with such grace on the bike and such style it's always good to see

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Valv.Piti said:
They were obviously being sarcastic, but let me say it this way: If you are from the NL and are following TdF because of Mollema you really arent that much into cycling to begin with.
His royal Baukiness is always a sight to behold. That is, if he doesn't Zubeldia his way into a top 10. If not, he's in attack mode and with such grace on the bike and such style it's always good to see

Mollema is one of very few GC riders to attack Froome in earnest repeatedly in the mountains during the Tour.

Lequack said:
wheresmybrakes said:
So Froome is not going to the Giro and going all out in the Tour. (Sky news)

Yeah I wonder how the Froome/Thomas situation will resolve this year. Basically he'll have the biggest competition inside the team, as all the other favorites are going to the Giro.

Froome is targeting a 5th TDF
Thomas said that he is going back to the TDF for the best result he can. perharps we have an answer here.

Gigs_98 said:
The question of whether Froome is declining is a very interesting one though. I'd argue he has been declining ever since 2015 (despite his winning margin of the 2015 being smaller than in any other year but I'd simply argue he hasn't had an opponent as serious as 2015 Quintana). Maybe he was still at his best in 2016 but especially from 2017 onwards it became striking that he basically became unable to drop his opponents uphill and he only won gt's by being strong in the TT's and very consistent. The Zoncolan stage mentioned before was impressive but really nothing compared to his best climbing performances in 13 and 15. On the Zoncolan there were 6 riders within 42 seconds, in the 2013 tour de france he was over 50 seconds in front of Porte on Ax 3 Domaines with everyone else being over a minute down. 2015 he did exactly the same again on LPSM. Aside from the much bigger time gaps the climbs (especially Ax 3) also were significantly easier. I don't think Froome is finished (I'd actually say he would be the favorite for the tour no matter the opponent) but I very much doubt at age 34 considering the results from previous years he will be as strong as he has been in the past.

But then Finestre was definitely up there with Ax 3 and PSM for Froome's best career performance. While I don't think he's at his 2013 level any more, the fact is Froome's not really been tested since the 2015 Tour (arguably also 2016 Vuelta), so its hard to say whether Froome is declining or not

Re:

Red Rick said:
Lol if Thomas just goes straight back to being a train driver.

I guess it will depend on his form and how he rides. If he showcase he is stronger than Froome in the race, like this year, then he should be able to do exactly what he did last year.

If Froome is stronger, better or is ahead of Thomas and in yellow or something. I guess Thomas will have to fall in line then. Maybe if Thomas not as good as last year it will be an easier decision to make.

Crashes, mechanicals and other stuff will probably play a factor or if someone of them just dont have legs. It will naturally sort itself out. But if they are within seconds or both have the chance to win then that will be that. The train is probably gonna be strong as ever either way (smh) if Thomas rides as a co-leader or not.

PremierAndrew said:
Gigs_98 said:
The question of whether Froome is declining is a very interesting one though. I'd argue he has been declining ever since 2015 (despite his winning margin of the 2015 being smaller than in any other year but I'd simply argue he hasn't had an opponent as serious as 2015 Quintana). Maybe he was still at his best in 2016 but especially from 2017 onwards it became striking that he basically became unable to drop his opponents uphill and he only won gt's by being strong in the TT's and very consistent. The Zoncolan stage mentioned before was impressive but really nothing compared to his best climbing performances in 13 and 15. On the Zoncolan there were 6 riders within 42 seconds, in the 2013 tour de france he was over 50 seconds in front of Porte on Ax 3 Domaines with everyone else being over a minute down. 2015 he did exactly the same again on LPSM. Aside from the much bigger time gaps the climbs (especially Ax 3) also were significantly easier. I don't think Froome is finished (I'd actually say he would be the favorite for the tour no matter the opponent) but I very much doubt at age 34 considering the results from previous years he will be as strong as he has been in the past.

But then Finestre was definitely up there with Ax 3 and PSM for Froome's best career performance. While I don't think he's at his 2013 level any more, the fact is Froome's not really been tested since the 2015 Tour (arguably also 2016 Vuelta), so its hard to say whether Froome is declining or not
Decline is much more about consistency going away than at the peak performances lacking their edge.

Contador still shredded the field on Los Muchachos. Cancellara won Olympic Gold in his very last race.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Anybody know about Bernal's programme leading up to the Giro?

What races (other than Colombia 2.1) is the most likely? All the Italian races? Tirreno-Adriatico, Tour of the Alps, etc? Maybe the Itzulia?
Colombia, T-A/Catalunya and Tour of the Alps Im pretty sure. Then you could throw a race in like Itzulia or a late February-race, but I really dno. I think 3-4 stage races before Il Giro is optimal.

TRENDING THREADS