• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2020 Start list quality poll

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate the 2020 Giro start list

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is plenty wrong with the PCS algorithm for putting a number of field quality, but they rate this as 733, which puts it in 12th place for races over the last year, between the Omloop and the UAE Tour.

But it only came 13th of the 2019 races, 19th in 2018, and 25th the year before that.

Maybe the depth here is never that great.

On the other hand, last year's score was 848, so quite a bit higher.
It's the lowest scoring Giro startlist by PCS' method since the 2004 line up scored 649.

That was a race won by a 22 year old Cunego who'd never contested for GC before and never stood on a GT podium again, ahead of Serhiy Honchar getting his first and only podium aged 33. So fudging the ages a bit, Vlasov to win, Fuglsang 2nd?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Just seen my mainest man is riding!

Where the *** did he come from, I thought he was dead!

h7C9DBF36

8 (like for every poll). In reality, it's more like a 4, but that's what in most years makes Il Giro an entertaining GT. Big teams send their B or C squad, Tour favorites are absent, a gutsy rider can do something special. That's all I need. Vai Vincenzo!

Can someone explain to me this Weening meme? I recall it was popular several years ago but I don't know where it came from.
It’s a parody of when Charlie sheen went a bit off the deep end.

Peter used to go into breaks and off the front a lot in mid decade giros past so it will have been seen a lot. Quite liked him anyway, bit old now like (39) but I did think he’d retired.

Look at that Tao Hart and Jai Hindley pair, they will definitely surprise a few of you lot i think!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Anderis
Gave it a 4 for startlist quality. A small handful of quality riders and then beyond them there's no depth. A bit like the Vuelta last year, we'll see some random names and domestiques getting top 10s.

It will be far higher than 4/10 for entertainment though, I'm sure of that

Reactions: gregrowlerson
This Giro d'Italia startlist feels a bit like the last grand tour of the 10s.

Nibali the big champion. Giro, Tour & Vuelta winner. Still came 2nd & 3rd in his last two participations.

Fuglsang the late bloomer,. Who never got his act together in a gt but has won the Dauphine twice and finished 2nd & 3rd at the Tour of Switzerland!

Kruijswijk who would've won the 2016 Giro d'Italia. 5th & 3rd at the Tour de France. 2nd & 3rd at the Tour of Switzerland! Edith reminds me of his 4th place at the 2018 Vuelta.

For these guys it really is the last chance to shine big in a gt (again) given the new kids on the block. Especially for Fuglsang & Kruijswijk.

Looking behind this is going to be a perfectly fine gt podium quality wise. Looking ahead it probably looks weak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Rick
I'm not gonna vote, because my reasoning is silly.

I think it's a solid 5! For no other reason than the fact that it contains a shark, a bird, a mountain, a waterfall, and a Christian holiday! Unfortunately, we already lost the superhero.
I'm struggling there.
I'm guessing that you are claiming Nibali as the fish (shark), and either Fuglsang or Swift could be the bird.
Struggling to find a mountain, a waterfall of a Christian festival.

There is a deer, a castle, a tower and some coals in there though.

I'm struggling there.
I'm guessing that you are claiming Nibali as the fish (shark), and either Fuglsang or Swift could be the bird.
Struggling to find a mountain, a waterfall of a Christian festival.

There is a deer, a castle, a tower and some coals in there though.

Birdsong is, of course, the bird; Swift is just bloody fast.
Foss is the waterfall.
Logic got the Christian holiday and the mountain.
Who are the deer, the castle, the tower, and the coals?

Birdsong is, of course, the bird; Swift is just bloody fast.
Foss is the waterfall.
Logic got the Christian holiday and the mountain.
Who are the deer, the castle, the tower, and the coals?
I should have known Foss and Bjerg (is there no distinction between mountain and hill in Germanic languages?), but I wouldn't have recognised Pfingsten as Pentecost (etymology?

A hart (as Tao G-Hart) (or a stag) is a male deer , then Castroviejo, Torres and Carboni.

But what happens if a dam sinks?

TRENDING THREADS