• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro ad on US TV - Contador

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:
No doubt that the attention span can be short, which is why almost anyone can watch horses run around a track for two minutes.

But at the same time, that doesn't prevent millions of people from dedicating an entire day to the Super Bowl--pre pre-game, pre-game, game, half-time, game, post-game, post post-game. :D

I think what I'm wistfully imaging is that Americans could've been conditioned to great European cycling if only the setting had been conveyed to them decades ago. Tradition obviously requires...a tradition. :eek:

The least the media could do at this point would be to try to establish some sort of traditional sense of the sport and move away from flavor-of-the-moment personalities.

No, the least "the media" can do is totally ignore the Giro.
And that is what they will do.

Let me know if "the media" is covering the Giro in your neck of the woods come May.
Heck, let me know if they even mention the TdF come July.
Painting a canvas lol what?

And by the way, Americans do not like people who make simplistic generalizations.

And Americans do not like Finger Bang Bangs.
Nor do they like cheater frauds who blame meat.
And Americans will be watching the Amgen Tour of California come May anyway.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
The commercial is awesome because it is making people cry a river.

patricknd said:
The commercial is hilarious.

It's awfully cute to have the Brokeback cowboys posting side by side.

Sorry to disappoint, Tex, but I haven't reached for the tissues yet.
I realize that the Lone Star state is used to having the Star and Bar waving on the Champs-Élysées, but any thoughts on what the commercial does to promote cycling to a new audience?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:
It's awfully cute to have the Brokeback cowboys posting side by side.

Sorry to disappoint, Tex, but I haven't reached for the tissues yet.
I realize that the Lone Star state is used to having the Star and Bar waving on the Champs-Élysées, but any thoughts on what the commercial does to promote cycling to a new audience?

You need to go on ebay and bid on a sense of humor. :D

If you're going to attract any viewers besides the faggy shorts crowd (cyclists), you have to appeal to a completely different crowd, and I just don't think talking about traditions alien to your potential viewers is going to get it done. Like it or not, you need a hook, and in the reality tv watching world we unfortunately inhabit, they've probably come up with something good for that purpose. And it really is hilarious. If I didn't know better i'd think it was from the onion.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
patricknd said:
I just don't think talking about traditions alien to your potential viewers is going to get it done.
Well, that's kind of what I'm driving at. They can't make up for decades of tradition, but they can take the focus off the individual which is always a gamble anyway. New traditions can be forged, and in only a few years even new viewers will something to look back on as their own, so to speak.

I suspect that the 2010 Giro will be remembered quite vividly for many years to come. Who knows what this year's race will bring? Every season presents a new opportunity for epic versions of any given race (1988 Giro, anyone?). Not to dwell on just Paris-Roubaix, but it's a good bet that the next time it rains on that race, another indelible image will be seared into the viewer's mind. The sooner the networks get with it, the sooner they'll be able to ride that wave.

The American sports media is certainly obsessed with calling the winner and reading the script long before the first act even happens. Anyone remember the rush to judgement on the 2008 New England Patriots? The media had already canonized Tom Brady as the greatest of all time in the weeks leading up to the game. Undefeated! Not since Miami in 1972! Rah, rah, rah! No one can stop them!

Except...they got schooled by the New York Giants. Ooops.
And where were all the "experts" after the fact?

What if an American were to win the Giro this year?
It would be completely diminished to the American audience because of the way that UniVersus is selling the sport.
That's totally irresponsible, as far as I'm concerned.

And it really is hilarious. If I didn't know better i'd think it was from the onion.
:D The blurring of the two is one of the more telling "signs of our times." There's a reason that many people look to Jon Stewart as their main news source.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:

Yeah that is it. There are two available! :D

My real opinion on this commercial is this.....You will have more on this site who do not like the add. The fact is that the forums have a majority of true cycling fans, the type who take the sport serious and like to discuss it. This television commercial is not for the true cycling sports fan. I think they were targeting the LA fan types. The ones who only started watching cycling (TDF only) around 2001. They will eat that commercial up, because they are not fans of Contador.

I just thought the commercial was funny and the reaction on this web site is better than the commercial.

Your opinion Gran is a good one because you are a true fan of the sport and you do not like it being jerked with. (just my observation/opinion)

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Glen.
I knew you had it in ya'. ;)

contador-thumbnail.png_standalone.jpg

Granville57 said:
No doubt that the attention span can be short, which is why almost anyone can watch horses run around a track for two minutes.

But at the same time, that doesn't prevent millions of people from dedicating an entire day to the Super Bowl--pre pre-game, pre-game, game, half-time, game, post-game, post post-game. :D

I think what I'm wistfully imaging is that Americans could've been conditioned to great European cycling if only the setting had been conveyed to them decades ago. Tradition obviously requires...a tradition. :eek:

The least the media could do at this point would be to try to establish some sort of traditional sense of the sport and move away from flavor-of-the-moment personalities.

I think the coverage reflects a certain degree of parochialism within the anglo-phone world. As I say, the UK coverage is fairly similar in approach.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Well, that's kind of what I'm driving at. They can't make up for decades of tradition, but they can take the focus off the individual which is always a gamble anyway. New traditions can be forged, and in only a few years even new viewers will something to look back on as their own, so to speak.

I suspect that the 2010 Giro will be remembered quite vividly for many years to come. Who knows what this year's race will bring? Every season presents a new opportunity for epic versions of any given race (1988 Giro, anyone?). Not to dwell on just Paris-Roubaix, but it's a good bet that the next time it rains on that race, another indelible image will be seared into the viewer's mind. The sooner the networks get with it, the sooner they'll be able to ride that wave.

The American sports media is certainly obsessed with calling the winner and reading the script long before the first act even happens. Anyone remember the rush to judgement on the 2008 New England Patriots? The media had already canonized Tom Brady as the greatest of all time in the weeks leading up to the game. Undefeated! Not since Miami in 1972! Rah, rah, rah! No one can stop them!

It would be completely diminished to the American audience because of the way that UniVersus is selling the sport.

:D The blurring of the two is one of the more telling "signs of our times." There's a reason that many people look to Jon Stewart as their main news source.
+1.

your thoughtful and eloquent responses compelled me to place this first post in the topic i would otherwise be disinterested in.

carry on my friend but pls don't lower your guard.

i get a feeling the finally serious response you received after an obvious flaming was facilitated by a nastigram from the order- keeper ;)

carry on carrying on...:)

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:

you still have to get people to tune in to get them interested enough to stay and forge those traditions.. i think they're marketing it something like survivor and others of that ilk. that stuff is successful, and if you want to get people to watch, you have to appeal to what they obviously find appealing.

Granville57 said:

you better snap those up, that's a great price!!!:D

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
python said:
+1.

your thoughtful and eloquent responses compelled me to place this first post in the topic i would otherwise be disinterested in.

carry on my friend but pls don't lower your guard.

i get a feeling the finally serious response you received after an obvious flaming was facilitated by a nastigram from the order- keeper ;)

carry on carrying on...:)

he brought up reasonable points in a thoughtful and humorous way, and he received answers in the same vein. you could learn something about civility here, if you pull your head out. (of the other contador thread, of course) ;)

Glenn_Wilson said:
You can generalize all you want about Americans not catching on etc. to a Euro sport. Maybe we are not exposed to the world enough? Funny.

The commercial is awesome because it is making people cry a river.

...but will it make more people tune in?? I seriously doubt it. Nothing in that commercial gives any indication of what the event is all about nor does it give anyone any incentive to tune in.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
patricknd said:
he brought up reasonable points in a thoughtful and humorous way, and he received answers in the same vein. you could learn something about civility here, if you pull your head out. (of the other contador thread, of course) ;)
neither you nor glen wilson are the ones to learn from about cycling nor civility ;) even if you ever contributed to a cycling thread.

and you know you'll be the last to be asked about where i should post.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
python said:
neither you nor glen wilson are the ones to learn from about cycling nor civility ;) even if you ever contributed to a cycling thread.

and you know you'll be the last to be asked about where i should post.

it's killing you that you can't delete my posts here, isn't it? :D

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
patricknd said:
it's killing you that you can't delete my posts here, isn't it? :D
not at all ;)

what's bothering me is that you keep derailing many threads and don't contribute anything to cycling threads.

in stead you comment almost exclusively about people's personal traits, where they should post, how they should spell, what theirs sense of humour should be etc.

if this is not clear, i will ask for help. but it it is, then making a clown out of yourself by lacking elementary cycling knowledge is hardly a good sense of humour ;)

if you get back on topic, you'll probably avoid more embarrassment.
-------
edit sorry susan, i was typig when you posted

JPM London said:
And I forget - which one is Judas?? And Peter?

explanation found here:

chriswatsonlastsuppersi.png

Who's in It?

Looking across the picture from left to right:

Bartholomew, James Minor and Andrew form a group of three. All are aghast, Andrew to the point of holding his hands up in a "stop!" gesture.

Judas, Peter and John form the next group of three. Judas, you will note, has his face in shadow and is clutching a small bag (of silver?). Peter is visibly angry and a feminine-looking John seems about to swoon.

Christ is the calm in the midst of the storm.

Thomas, James Major and Philip are next. Thomas is clearly agitated, James Major stunned and Philip seems to be seeking clarification.

Matthew, Thaddeus and Simon comprise the last group of three figures. It appears that, when a situation turns ugly, Simon is the "go to" guy for explanations.

Note: remember the controversy from the Da Vinci Code regarding the identity of John vs Mary Magdalene :p

TRENDING THREADS