• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d‘Italia 2024 Stage 20, Alpago-Bassano del Grappa, 184 km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nah I originally disliked Contador until 2011 Giro but was still pulling for Andy at the Tour. Being American and 2009 being my first Tour, Armstrong was of course the one that drew me into the sport, parents didn’t like Contador, and then add in Contador dropping Klöden like a sack of potatoes made the dislike even more.
What’s unreal is that the American media turned it into such a rivalry to begin with. It made me re-evaluate the 1986 Tour from when I was a kid because Hinault had been portrayed as the villian in our eyes because I realized how I had viewed it completely from the Anglo perspective.

I was a Contador fanboy from 2005 but being American, I was completely baffled by how they turned him into the foil for Armstrong/Schleck. I completely understand why he became the boogeyman at the time for a lot of American fans though.