• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d‘Italia 2024 Stage 20, Alpago-Bassano del Grappa, 184 km

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well a Pogačar stage win was almost a given before this stage but Pellizzari's attack really made the stage more interesting making UAE's domestiques having to sweat before launching the inevitable Pogačar attack. Bora has a diamond on their hands.

Pogačar once again showing that he is an extraordinary rider, he had no need to attack but wanted to put a show for the fans and now has as many wins this season as in 2021, arguably his best season so far.

A word for VPP as well, without him O'Connor and also Thomas would have lost a lot more and still getting second on the stage is a great result. Martinez showing again that he was the second best rider of this Giro and Tiberi taking the white jersey and stablishing himself as a GT contender.

Not a bad little performance there from Pogacar, impressive watts!!! High level!!!

See if you look there at that neat little trendline graph they've done he's on a similar level to some other showings like Ulissi, Vingegaard on an early season training ride and of course young Leonhard Martinez there punching his ticket at the 4th annual Classic Grand Besançon Doubs! Rock on Tadej!

That was the informal one, the rules were best placed finish without a top 10 because it was easier to be 'objective'. That said, it could mean active riders who went in breaks and finished outside of top 10 on the stage could still qualify
This year because Pogacar was so dominant the commentators spent a lot more time talking about the fringe battle for the back end of the top ten and the TV cameras looked at the back for who was next through the trapdoor far more than usual so it was difficult for any rider to do a full ninja.

Reactions: Salvarani
«When he (Pogacar) caught me he told me to get behind me. I tried but it was too fast and there were still three kilometers to go to the top. That pace was a sprint for me. I went from 350 to 600 watts»: Giulio Pellizzari

View: https://twitter.com/Uribecycling/status/1794450613431869931

Bonus pic

GOcl4O7W4AAUNk5

Last edited:
Well a Pogačar stage win was almost a given before this stage but Pellizzari's attack really made the stage more interesting making UAE's domestiques having to sweat before launching the inevitable Pogačar attack. Bora has a diamond on their hands.

Pogačar once again showing that he is an extraordinary rider, he had no need to attack but wanted to put a show for the fans and now has as many wins this season as in 2021, arguably his best season so far.

A word for VPP as well, without him O'Connor and also Thomas would have lost a lot more and still getting second on the stage is a great result. Martinez showing again that he was the second best rider of this Giro and Tiberi taking the white jersey and stablishing himself as a GT contender.
A number of good young climbers have broken through this Giro: VPP, steinhauser, pellizzari, tiberi.

definitely has kept things interesting.

Reactions: armchairclimber
A number of good young climbers have broken through this Giro: VPP, steinhauser, pellizzari, tiberi.

definitely has kept things interesting.
Level has been so low behind Pogacar. I'm not convinced with anyone of them. Except maybe Pellizzari. Even Popovych at least finished 3rd at the 2003 Giro d'Italia!

Geschke potentially could've ridden top 10 at the 2024 Giro d'Italia if he had tried to initially. Tells a lot...

Reactions: Red Rick
Level has been so low behind Pogacar. I'm not convinced with anyone of them. Except maybe Pellizzari. Even Popovych at least finished 3rd at the 2003 Giro d'Italia!

Geschke potentially could've ridden top 10 at the 2024 Giro d'Italia if he had tried to initially. Tells a lot...
Dont think the overall level is actually that low compared to other editions in recent times.

One rider is just head and shoulders above the rest in this edition, which is a great feat and achievement to win that dominantly. In pretty a exciting way with big attacks and claiming the victory on the toughest stages.

It doesnt mean everyone else is really weak and the field is bad. The field, as said, is not worse than any other recent edition of this race in the past 10-15 years. At least that is what I would say and is my opinion. Giro has mostly been about 5-6 guys and then filling it with a few other contenders on the way up or older experienced ones. Not all of the two-three best in the world riders. Just usually one of them.

It would have been great to have had a dual between Pog and Vinge/Roglic here but it wasnt happening this year. I dont think it will happen in the future either. Not for a while at least. Maybe we will see riders like Ayuso, C. Rod and perhaps Vinge (since he havent won it yet) or Cian coming back in the future to battle it out. Bernal. Remco. Except for Vinge... I dont think the other guys would have been much more better or worse than Martinez, Thomas or O´Connor did here in this edition. Tiberi been going great all season and deserve recognition for establishing himself as a contender in the future. Arensman finishing 6th again in a GT. Rubio improving more and more with every GT. All these guys are likely to continue to be GT-contenders in future. Claiming top 10s and perhaps even more in the future.

Giro has become either the best of the rest GT, for new guys still developing and learning the ropes or the once in a while occasion when one of the big guys goes there to win it.

That this edition is seen as "weak" by some just feels like attempt to downplay the huge victory and not recognize the greatness of one rider, which is just lame.

Reactions: Elos Anjos

I'd be very surprised if Tiberi isn't in and around the podium in Giros for the next few years. Without the Oropa mechanical he'd have probably been 3rd with Thomas, 'only' ten minutes behind Pogacar. I doubt Pog, Roglic, and Vingegaard will be here next year, so it will probably be like Ayuso and maybe Hindley, maybe CRod or Bernal. I think a lot of improvement is needed for Tiberi to beat them, but I don't think they'll be putting minutes into him.