• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d‘Italia 2024, Stage 5, Genova-Lucca, 178 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't really mean in terms of gaps, I more mean in terms of the final week just being a bit too much of a war of attrition. There won't be fun attacks as much as people bonking and losing minutes.
If the 21 stages are of similar difficulty to half of the stages now, I don't think that is true at all. The most attritional races see attacks too.

While the route was far from brutal, the Tour was raced hard last year. And at its most attritional stage, we had half the GC riders in the break over Loze and plenty of attacks.

Full candy floss for Tadej today.

GNDQo5oXAAAq0pk

View: https://twitter.com/giroditalia/status/1788159910951174338

The 2022 Tour had few sprint stages, and had those days been hilly ones, I think we'd still have had plenty of attack in the last week. Nothing about how that race unfolded suggests to me that a GT without sprint stages would be a slugfest.

Recent trend of not really letting a break get anything continues. I think if they get 4-5 minutes up the road then it creates more order and stops anyone trying anything mid-stage like happened on 3, you would think this preferable to the sprinter teams but it seems not.