• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 19: Mortegliano - Sappada, 157k

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As if we were gonna get any meaningful action anyway.
I mean, without Pogacar have we seen a single meaningful attack? Ignore him and we have arguably wrose Giro (as far as the GC action goes) than last year..
It will probably be more interesting to view the spectators on the roadside in Forni Avoltri to see if Lisa Vittozzi pops in to see what's going on at work, or if she decides to stay in Sappada for it.

Reactions: dercuforever
It will probably be more interesting to view the spectators on the roadside in Forni Avoltri to see if Lisa Vittozzi pops in to see what's going on at work, or if she decides to stay in Sappada for it.
To be fair, if there's one thing that's been consistently good in this Giro, it's the random intermediate stages. The stage to Turin, the lumpy sprint stages (esp. to Naples, which on paper looked uninspiring but then we had 30km of attacks), the Rapolano di Terme stage, the Fano stage. I'm cautiously optimistic of a fun breakaway race.

Obviously, there'll be no meaningful GC action, but that is a given.

Reactions: Scarponi
At least there would be more of an incentive to win than take 2nd while 7-8 minutes back.
Come on.. they ride so passive when 2nd is everything they could lose. Imagine the passiveness if their chance for a win is on stake..

Sadly, in the last few years the field in the Giro is more concerned about not losing it than trying to win it. Okay, they can't win it this year, but we all remember Almeida, G and Rog & Linda, Carapaz and Hindley putting an all time great GT's fighting for the win.

Reactions: Scarponi
Come on.. they ride so passive when 2nd is everything they could lose. Imagine the passiveness if their chance for a win is on stake..

Sadly, in the last few years the field in the Giro is more concerned about not losing it than trying to win it. Okay, they can't win it this year, but we all remember Almeida, G and Rog & Linda, Carapaz and Hindley putting an all time great GT's fighting for the win.
Don’t be hating on Hindley, he’d have as many wins and be performing like Pogacar if he was here.

Wait, do you suggest that we'd suddenly get attacking racing without Pogacar?
If anything everyone would be even more scared not to blow his only chance to podium/win.
That's not how it works. Without Pogacar someone would be forced to attack to try and win the Giro. As it is, they ride defensively to not lose their GC positions. Plus, when Pog goes, they are at their limits and so are forced to pace it.

Reactions: Cookster15

Riding defensively in grand tours is hardly a new concept even for podium contenders. and if a rider is physically out matched, I don't have a problem with it. The recent Giro's have also been effected by bad weather causing many mountain stage changes and questionable routes. The Tour has had the advantage of less trouble with the stages in the high mountains and having two riders at the top, of similar ability which the Giro doesn't have. Which meant the race for first was always a race although last year Vingegaard killed it off quicker than expected.

That's not how it works. Without Pogacar someone would be forced to attack to try and win the Giro. As it is, they ride defensively to not lose their GC positions. Plus, when Pog goes, they are at their limits and so are forced to pace it.

I don't think so. For some time other guys have been racing as if Pogacar didn't exist. Thomas mentioned it multiply. It's actually a better tactic than blowing up after following Pog. It's just that none of those guys is much better than the rest and doesn't have an offensive mindset so their racing is not interesting. Ok, I get that maybe higher risks would've been taken if the victory was at stake but we saw last year's Giro - no Teddy and GC action was poor as well. It's about the riders, their relative strength and mindset.

Reactions: Extinction
Conci will have a good chance tomorrow. Alpecin would be foolish to try with Groves
Conci will of course try as well, but with the flattish start, most climbers will struggle to get into the breakaway. We may very well end up with a break of rouleurs, where guys like Tratnik or de Marchi are the best climbers. So imo it makes sense to play multiple cards

As I said, I'm not convinced at all. Having watched 2012, 2022 and 2023 and the closely matched battle between several riders makes me think that the reason for the defensive riding (which is to be honest understandable) isn't Pogacar and without him the only stage that has a chance to be better is stage 20.
G is afraid to let Arensman attack while 3rd at the moment. What makes you believe that suddenly he'd find his aggressive self if he's fighting for the win? DFM has no reason to attack and O'Connor seems a bit weaker than both.

Reactions: KOM and SafeBet
As I said, I'm not convinced at all. Having watched 2012, 2022 and 2023 and the closely matched battle between several riders makes me think that the reason for the defensive riding (which is to be honest understandable) isn't Pogacar and without him the only stage that has a chance to be better is stage 20.
G is afraid to let Arensman attack while 3rd at the moment. What makes you believe that suddenly he'd find his aggressive self if he's fighting for the win? DFM has no reason to attack and O'Connor seems a bit weaker than both.
Giro 2024 without Pogacar would look exactly like Giro 2023 and Giro 2022.
At least the GC side.

Pog should enter the breakaway for a good Z3 day and to put some fatigue in the legs for Grappa.
I honestly wonder what would happen if Pogi goes into a break with Majka and Großschartner. Majka and Großschartner are no threat for the top 5, Pogi is so far above the rest that it also doesn't matter. So no reason for any other team to treat it as an unusual breakaway. No one in the break would ride with them though.

I honestly wonder what would happen if Pogi goes into a break with Majka and Großschartner. Majka and Großschartner are no threat for the top 5, Pogi is so far above the rest that it also doesn't matter. So no reason for any other team to treat it as an unusual breakaway. No one in the break would ride with them though.
The others gotta have some pride left. At least some team/DS wont let that happen willingly. They get dropped later... so be it.

157 km ... another short stage so it's not surprising that PCS have posted that so far 2024 is the fastest ever Giro, 42.4 km/h compared to 2013's 40.113 km/h.
Talking of speed, I supose we'll see a furious first hour as the sprinters try for sprint points at 56 km done, then a big breakaway of stage winning hopefulls.
UAE & Teddy to sit in the peloton and take it easy before Saturday's stage.