• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 19: Mortegliano - Sappada, 157k

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Vendrame two Giro stage wins have been interesting - In the first stage victory he was in a group of 6, however two of the riders squabbled over pacing and dropped themselves out of the group. Today he was handed a free minute by the group he was in.
there's no need at all to disvalue his victories. Both were very strong, and with less bad luck Vendrame could have 4 instead of 2. In 2019 he only lost out against Chaves because of a late mechanical and he was in a good position in 2022 as well before Bouwman divebombed him (and Schmid) out of the way.

cool stage except for the drone camera. it looked like I was watching on dial-up internet. anyone who thinks drone cameras are the future is an idiot. we already have the best possible camera angle: motorbike on the road next to the riders.
Count me as an idiot then! Just because they aren't using the best available technology doesn't mean that drones aren't a great addition to sports.

"fantastic"? no. it was just a nice little race that everyone will forget ever happened in a couple days.
I don't know why you are so unhappy, but message me your address and I'll send you some tequila (or beer, vino, counselling). ;)

I don't really remember much about any stages after a few hours, but I will remember that some guy from some team attacked on a downhill and pounded away for 20+ K to win...until I watch the TdF and I won't remember anything about the GdI (there's limited space in that memory file).

I don't know why you are so unhappy, but message me your address and I'll send you some tequila (or beer, vino, counselling). ;)

I don't really remember much about any stages after a few hours, but I will remember that some guy from some team attacked on a downhill and pounded away for 20+ K to win...until I watch the TdF and I won't remember anything about the GdI (there's limited space in that memory file).
I probably won't remember much either except for Alaphilippe's career resurrection, one (last) glimmer of hope from Nairo, and Steinhauser being a new kid on the block to watch for, plus the imposing figure of Ciclamino Man (Milan)... if you ignore the GC action I thought this was actually a very enjoyable Giro.

who said i was unhappy? i said it was a nice race, but far from fantastic

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt
who said i was unhappy? i said it was a nice race, but far from fantastic
grumpy then?
'drones suck, stage sucks (everyone will forget it), Thomas sucks, race is a joke, race is garbage, this stage sucks donkey balls, awful coverage, useless, JA won because he paid Maestri, boooring, this route is a joke'... quotes from a happy person?

Last edited:
grumpy then?
'drones suck, stage sucks (everyone will forget it), Thomas sucks, race is a joke, race is garbage, this stage sucks donkey balls, awful coverage, useless, JA won because he paid Maestri, boooring, this route is a joke'... quotes from a happy person?
Grumpy?! Wait until the parcours for next year's Tour come out and then you'll see some real vitriol!:)

I probably won't remember much either except for Alaphilippe's career resurrection, one (last) glimmer of hope from Nairo, and Steinhauser being a new kid on the block to watch for, plus the imposing figure of Ciclamino Man (Milan)... if you ignore the GC action I thought this was actually a very enjoyable Giro.
And Pellizzari asking for glasses and getting a pink jersey instead ❤️

It's been a strange Giro in that the Giro's overarching narrative has been as dull as we expected, but it's been filled with very good vignettes. I feel like the majority of stages have been genuinely enjoyable, which is rare, but the GC battle has indeed been boring and lacking tension.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
grumpy then?

sorry, i am a passionate cycling fan that has a higher standard for what makes a good enjoyable race or stage. im not a casual fan like you that is just happy to watch any old race and then forget about it a week later. i want to sit down for 4 hours and watch something that i can truly enjoy and that i will remember for the rest of my life. the only thing memorable about this race is how much better Pogacar is than the rest of this horrendous GC field.

and for the record, it's none of your *** business to comment on whether im a "happy person" or not. that has nothing to do with my opinion of a *** bike race. so you can go scratch your *** and sniff your finger. now give me another laugh react, b*tch.

Last edited:
It's been a strange Giro in that the Giro's overarching narrative has been as dull as we expected, but it's been filled with very good vignettes. I feel like the majority of stages have been genuinely enjoyable, which is rare, but the GC battle has indeed been boring and lacking tension.
Agreed on the general impression.

I did love the beautiful descent on Monte Grappa today. Looked as perfect as any descent could be for a solo rider. The dark black asphalt made a nice contrasting to background for the pink skinsuit and Colnago.