• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 21: Roma (EUR) – Roma, 125.0k

Thanks again to @Devil's Elbow for the awesome in-depth write-up.

Stage 21: Roma (EUR) – Roma, 125.0k​

Just like last year, the race racks up some additional emissions to finish in the capital. Unlike last year, there should actually be a decent sprint field to contest the final sprint.

The route

ahsWfjfxvUB6U46Ocswi_260424-085425.jpg

KwxICggAbT6AwbbpY9rh_260424-085450.jpg

Much like last year, the stage starts at the EUR campus, does an out-and-back route to Ostia, then heads into the city centre for some circuits. Said circuit is completely changed: not only is it far shorter, but annoyingly they’ve moved the finish away from the Via dei Fori Imperiali, meaning no Colosseum in the background for the final sprint. The alternative finish is still on urban cobbles, so I really don’t see the point of the change, but a sprint’s a sprint, I guess.

PQLJIwdZ5v0ls98tiPVt_080424-092207.jpg

Mos43Zk2xDmnqlp6GADZ_080424-092058.jpg

I’d write something about Rome here, but it really needs no introduction and it’s past time to put up this analysis. Thanks for reading, and if you catch any mistakes, please let me know!

fori-imperiali--slide2_0.jpg

What to expect?

If we’re really lucky, people will take cues from last year’s Vuelta parade that was anything but, realistically it’s just a sprint.

Last edited: