• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 6, Torre del Lago Puccini (Viareggio) – Rapolano Terme, 180km

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
GC means overall. You know, where you stand at the end of a three-week race. Doesn't necessarily mean standing on the podium, but a top ten would do for a first time grand tour rider.
Do you think that's a stupid idea?

riding to keep 30 seconds after he's already lost 2:30 in 5 days instead of going for a stage win is stupid, yes.

i swear this forum is like the *** twilight zone

riding to keep 30 seconds after he's already lost 2:30 in 5 days instead of going for a stage win is stupid, yes.

I can't get into the mind of a rider, but I would venture to guess he knew he wouldn't win the stage and started thinking long-term goals.
I'm sorry to offend your sensitivities, zlev, but that's just my opinion. I might be wrong, but let's get back to planet Earth now, shall we?

Reactions: jmdirt
Congratulations to Pelayo Sánchez Mayo for winning the stage.

Another day, another breakaway win. Looks like GC guys already went into tactical mode and none wanted to attack. A proper GT GC bunch if you ask me. Good to see Alaphilippe animating the race again. A bit of a let-down was no stretching of legs on the ultimate climb. Likely due to UAE not having the numbers any more, to reduce the bunch prior to the finale. Ineos on another level when it comes to gravel sections, Martínez well protected on section one and then on section two, prior to the minor incident, Bora couldn't keep up. At the end of the stage again rather good, still something to improve till the Tour.

yes, in the sprint, after riding the whole last 2k on the front, his best position possible was third. but if he sits on and attacks late then who knows what could happen. i've seen it a million times and we almost saw it yesterday.
Who would know better than Plapp how he was feeling and what the right strategy was? Forumites?

<grumpy old man comments>

There are so many motivations and goals for riders in the group. In addition to how he was feeling, what he knows about the others' capabilities, there are group dynamics. Maybe he owes someone a favor. Maybe he wants to be the guy in the group known for always burying himself, and it's more important for him for the group to stay away than his slim chances at out-sprinting two guys who he probably knows he can't beat. Maybe he was sick of listening to those two barking at each other and said F it, I'm just gonna ride and let these two clowns fight it out.

People get tired. People have relationships. People sometimes feel like telling their DS's to pound sand.

This isn't a formula and they're not robots. It's a human endeavor. Often makes me wonder if folks on the forum have ever competed in team sports or ridden a bike in a group.

</grumpy old man comments>

yes but that's not what i'm talking about. read my post again, i said "in the finale". he was already far out of the virtual lead in the last 4k yet he still rode it all on the front after being dropped on the climb.
Plapp gained some GC time and it wasn't clear how Alaf, at least, was looking. He rode well enough.

If he sits on the pack probably catches them and he gets zero for all his efforts. Alaf and Sanchez were riding for the stage and were probably willing to play a game of chicken.

Reactions: jmdirt

Yeah, if he hadn't ridden on the front, he might not have lost any more time than he already did. He was with 2 riders who were very motivated to stay away, so I think his decision was stupid. He gained nothing that he wouldn't have likely gained, anyway.

Reactions: zlev11
Plapp with some of the worst breakaway tactics ive ever seen. dropped on the climb and then rides the whole finale on the front? what was he doing?
Are there others named Plapp? Are we talking about the same race? The same person? Luke Plapp is a track racer turned roadie, 3 year pro instigated a breakaway w a ten+ year pro, who just happened in that time was 2 time World Champion, won multiple grand tour stages and a few classics when he wasn't out having a beer.
Plapp on the podium at the Giro is ginormous!!! He held his own, rode back to the wheel after being obviously gapped many times and he pushed through to be an equal contributor all the way to within meters of the finish. Photography and video will show him in the same frame as the winner and runner up.
Personally I would sacrifice my house,pets and 3,4 family members for the same result!!
Plapp rode lights out and pro bike racing is getting a well needed infusion of pimple faced punks that ride the wheels off!! Plapp showing up in multiple races already this year. If what he did was stupid, fill up swimming pool and I am jumping in!! Guy rode today like an absolute stallion and didn't skip his turn on the front anytime I saw. The 3 did what it took and got good results from riding bold instead of boring..
His 3rd place is worth immeasurable amounts in cycling character!!

I wouldn‘t want to be a part of your family if you sacrifice them to be considered the same level as Andrea Pietrobon.
Easily look many of them in the eye and explain their value in comparison to a Giro podium!! My dogs would hide if it were ever a real life possibility!! All just internet, fantasy hyperbole!! I have amateur podium experiences and it took me days if not longer to come down!!
Plapp should feel proud of his power and perseverance and perspective. I watched the video someone has of him post race, guy is solid.. And bit of comedy, UAE had his number as part of catch,kill or cover and he still got away and made a tiny chip away at GC time, absolutely awesome!! UAE chasing you and not being able to catch, again another fantasy for any rider, pro or otherwise!!

Reactions: sevenall and jmdirt
Easily look many of them in the eye and explain their value in comparison to a Giro podium!! My dogs would hide if it were ever a real life possibility!! All just internet, fantasy hyperbole!! I have amateur podium experiences and it took me days if not longer to come down!!
Plapp should feel proud of his power and perseverance and perspective. I watched the video someone has of him post race, guy is solid.. And bit of comedy, UAE had his number as part of catch,kill or cover and he still got away and made a tiny chip away at GC time, absolutely awesome!! UAE chasing you and not being able to catch, again another fantasy for any rider, pro or otherwise!!
That and your family being members of the Tijuana Cartell...they would get you first! :p

Who would know better than Plapp how he was feeling and what the right strategy was? Forumites?

<grumpy old man comments>

There are so many motivations and goals for riders in the group. In addition to how he was feeling, what he knows about the others' capabilities, there are group dynamics. Maybe he owes someone a favor. Maybe he wants to be the guy in the group known for always burying himself, and it's more important for him for the group to stay away than his slim chances at out-sprinting two guys who he probably knows he can't beat. Maybe he was sick of listening to those two barking at each other and said F it, I'm just gonna ride and let these two clowns fight it out.

People get tired. People have relationships. People sometimes feel like telling their DS's to pound sand.

This isn't a formula and they're not robots. It's a human endeavor. Often makes me wonder if folks on the forum have ever competed in team sports or ridden a bike in a group.

</grumpy old man comments>
I think it's fine to comment on how a rider races both from the perspective of what they ought to value and from the perspective of how they best can pursue that.

If he valued his GC in the last 5 km, his values are wrong. If he valued a stage win first and foremost, he rode poorly.

I couldn't care less that he is human and makes mistakes. We all do. That is no excuse and doesn't invalidate criticism.

Reactions: zlev11