• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 7: Foligno – Perugia, 40.6k (ITT)

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
One discipline I'd love to see in Tour like once in every 4 years is a 1st-day ½TTT of 100 kms.

Team to freely divide their team to A- and B-squads and have that traditional (if scrapped) Olympic discipline.

Would need to be at the start of Tour so each team was still complete 2 times 4 guys.
I would very much not like such a thing.

Some previous discussion

Reactions: Sandisfan
One discipline I'd love to see in Tour like once in every 4 years is a 1st-day ½TTT of 100 kms.

Team to freely divide their team to A- and B-squads and have that traditional (if scrapped) Olympic discipline.

Would need to be at the start of Tour so each team was still complete 2 times 4 guys.
I would like it but they have to temper it with a couple of 300k big Chiappucchi-style mountain stages too to balance it out. Not like the Wiggo Tour when they had mad tt ks with weak mountains.

Pippo gained 11" on Bjerg in the final split.
Superb performance, hopefully it will be enough. but I reckon Pog can be 20"-30" in the final split.
For reference, Pog took 33s out of Van Aert in the Combloux ITT despite Van Aert doing a negative split.

Here the final climb is ofcourse easier than in in the Tour ITT, and a smaller part of the overall ITT, which in turn favors Pog taking more.

Reactions: sam6
Totally obliterated by Ganna. No one will touch this time.
Pogi was 2nd behind Vingo in the 22km 2023 Tour ITT, and 1min 13 seconds ahead of Van Aert in third.

Given that
1. Pogi wasn't in top form for that day
2. Van Aert is a much better rider than Bjerg who is second atm
3. This ITT is almost twice as long

You would expect Pogi to be a lot more than that ahead of Bjerg. I'd expect Pogi to be around 2 minutes better than Bjerg. Ganna is 1min 39 ahead of Bjerg so I would say that Pogi has a good chance of beating that

I understand. My opinion is more based on that 4-man, 100 km team time trial being the ultimate cohesive endurance test of cycling which should have never been scrapped for all the worthless circus disciplines of MTB, Cyclo-cross etc.

I hold no hope for that discipline ever returning to UCI Championship programme so having it once in 4 years (Olympic years???) in a Tour (or at least Giro/Vuelta) would be a best possible salute for a more noble history of sport.

Pogi was 2nd behind Vingo in the 22km 2023 Tour ITT, and 1min 13 seconds ahead of Van Aert in third.

Given that

You would expect Pogi to be a lot more than that ahead of Bjerg. I'd expect Pogi to be around 2 minutes better than Bjerg. Ganna is 1min 39 ahead of Bjerg so I would say that Pogi has a good chance of beating that
Combloux ITT was much hillier overall, so the comparison isn't that good.

Reactions: QueenStagiaire

Given that

Totally different TTs, Combloux had like no flat road and this is 34km of pure TT power, where Bjerg is pretty good.