• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro del Trentino 2013

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
My guess is that Aru is very close to his peak atm ( trying to get a result for himself here before going into full domestique mode for il giro) while I am not sure how Dombrowskis shape has been so ar this year

Dombrowski has had some knee problems as a result of changing to a different brand of shoes and other equipment at Sky. So he hasn't had the form to do much yet.
Patience though, he'll be dominating in no time. :D

hfer07 said:
So the Skyfanboys are now going to discredit Nibali for not waiting for Wiggo too? :D

I don't see any sky fan boys saying that. Obviously they know that if a skyborg gets a mechanical it is ok not to wait, because they are skyborgs. If anyone else gets a mechanical, Skyborgs must wait.

JRanton said:
They didn't go for a train because the team wasn't good enough. Suitsou obviously could have pulled very hard on Wednesday but their tactics indicated to me that they knew the team wasn't strong enough for that. Cataldo wasn't good in this race and they have pretty much nobody else who can be a factor on the final climb.

I expect Kiry will have to ride the Giro now. Lopez may deliver, of course, but the Giro will probably come too soon for Siutsou to put in a consistent performance. And I'm not sure if Uran has the will to work for Wiggins for three weeks straight.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
I expect Kiry will have to ride the Giro now. Lopez may deliver, of course, but the Giro will probably come too soon for Siutsou to put in a consistent performance. And I'm not sure if Uran has the will to work for Wiggins for three weeks straight.

It is highly likely that Wiggins will be in pink after stage 8. Could be a very long 12 stages for Sky. Weaker team and harder parcours to control than last years Tour.

Afrank said:
Dombrowski has had some knee problems as a result of changing to a different brand of shoes and other equipment at Sky. So he hasn't had the form to do much yet.
Patience though, he'll be dominating in no time. :D

Things tend to change anyway while in the pro ranks...who knows in 2-3 years who will actually be the best performer of the two...

Lots of gear shifting problems this year it seems...I'm all for gadgets but is that electronic shifting really that useful?

Missed the race but I looked at the results and the gaps are really big, discarding Wiggo's loss which isn't meaningful, 2'20" on Rolland, 3'40 on Basso, 13+ on Scarpnoni, major damage!

TourOfSardinia said:
Nice psychological boost:

Nibali beat Froome in GC
Nibali beat Wiggins in GC

both times coming from behind.

Squalo!

Even if the focus is on Trentino "beat" is kind of hard to quantify given the mechanical troubles. I was very disappointed today worked out this way.

What IMHO was worse was the fact there were no Sky domestiques anywhere near Sir Brad today and this race isn't even 7 days long. He's going to need them at the Giro.

If the focus is on the Giro, it seems to me Nibali's a little early peaking, but he was well assisted by team mates from the little bits I saw.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm afraid that Nibali could be already near his top form and would be quite difficult to maintain it till 26/27 May.

Wiggins parking was awesome. :D

DirtyWorks said:
Even if the focus is on Trentino "beat" is kind of hard to quantify given the mechanical troubles. I was very disappointed today worked out this way.

What IMHO was worse was the fact there were no Sky domestiques anywhere near Sir Brad today and this race isn't even 7 days long. He's going to need them at the Giro.

If the focus is on the Giro, it seems to me Nibali's a little early peaking, but he was well assisted by team mates from the little bits I saw.

Aru and Tira sat with him until he attacked. At that time there was only 7 guys left at the front.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Hugo87 said:
I'm afraid that Nibali could be already near his top form and would be quite difficult to maintain it till 26/27 May.

Wiggins parking was awesome. :D

This... Wiggins has taken it easy so far, but he seems to have timed his peak correctly, or at least he'll have good shape in a few weeks. Nibali might find himself weakening towards the end of the Giro.

I feel that Nibbles had the form to win today without Wiggo's malfunction. However, he may have been psychologically unable to deliver it with Wiggo on his wheel. Knowing that Wiggo was playing catch up gave him the confidence to go.
Wiggo's parking was the funniest moment of the year. Making a tantrum look cool FFS. :D

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
nibali so far weakened during every grand tour he has ridden, but always managed to not lose heaps of time.

But this time it could be a mistimed(as in 'too early') peak, instead of 'normal' fatigue. Vuelta 2011 style.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
But this time it could be a mistimed(as in 'too early') peak, instead of 'normal' fatigue. Vuelta 2011 style.

I'm trying to work out if losing 1.40 was impressive by Wiggins in the circumstances, or a sign of his relative weakness...any takers?

martinvickers said:
I'm trying to work out if losing 1.40 was impressive by Wiggins in the circumstances, or a sign of his relative weakness...any takers?

Not worth thinking about.

The variable of lost motivation once the win was 100% stuffed and there were still 4km to go is too big.

If you're pacing on sensation then even if you're still fully mentally committed, the climb feels harder and you'll go slower if the day is going badly already.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Not worth thinking about.

The variable of lost motivation once the win was 100% stuffed and there were still 4km to go is too big.

If you're pacing on sensation then even if you're still fully mentally committed, the climb feels harder and you'll go slower if the day is going badly already.

IAW- Wiggo is set to his standard 400 watts & when an insident like that takes place, there is no way he will be allowed to spend extra watts trying to catch up Nibali---got it;)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:

I guees now they have to decide who are their giro squad. If Heano, Uran, Porte, Kiryenka, Lopez are slotted for Tour (that's a sick lineup), now they have to figure out who's the right combination for the giro? Sitsou still needs to be more consistent for 3 weeks. 5 days racing, he is superb one day and no where to be found the next day. Cataldo? I didn't see him anywhere. Wondering, who would be one/two of the Tour squad members will earn a double duty to shepherd wiggin in the Giro?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Pippo_San said:
Things tend to change anyway while in the pro ranks...who knows in 2-3 years who will actually be the best performer of the two...

True, however I have no doubt we will see Dombro dominate many races in his career. :D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:
Lots of gear shifting problems this year it seems...I'm all for gadgets but is that electronic shifting really that useful?

An important benefit with electronic is you only have to press your finger down .4 millimeters, while with mechanical you'll have to press your fingers in at least 3-5 inches. By using electronic shifting you don't have to use as much energy when moving your finger in to shift and your body can instead direct that energy into the places you need it most. Marginal gains. :cool:

TRENDING THREADS