• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro Del Trentino Final Classification

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Final overall standings:
1. Alexandre Vinokourov (Kz), Astana, in 13:20:06
2. Riccardo Ricco (I), Ceramica Flaminia-Bossini Docce, at 0:00
3. Domenico Pozzovivo (I), Colnago-CSF Inox, at 0:42
4. Michele Scarponi (I), Androni Giocattoli-Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni, at 0:44
5. Ivan BASSO (Italy) Liquigas Doimo, at 0:56

4 of the 5 are admitted dopers. This is not a good sign that the sport has remotely cleaned itself up.

GPlataniotis said:
Final overall standings:
4. Michele Scarponi (I), Androni Giocattoli-Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni, at 0:44

4 of the 5 are admitted dopers. This is not a good sign that the sport has remotely cleaned itself up.
I thought the five were admitted dopers. Which one is not?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
GPlataniotis said:
Final overall standings:

but it should be some good racing !!!!:D

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
I thought the five were admitted dopers. Which one is not?

I don't remember Pozzovivo ever being implicated in anything, could be wrong though. His team certainly has seen some controversy over the years.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
It probably isn't the best thing for the sport's image that Scarponi, Ricco, Basso, and Vinokourov are popping up on top of the leaders boards with regularity; but, I have a hard time getting too worked up about guys returning after they've served their time. Especially when Basso and Vino are clearly giving it their all without having reached their former "best form." I'm not saying they're definitely clean. I am saying that seeing Valverde win races now strikes me as much worse, though.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Devils Advocate

Could it be a theoretical possibility that these guys are actually some of the best and now that they are riding clean and the rest of the peloton has been cleaned up, that they are winning on a level playing field?

I'm not saying they are clean, but it seems odd to me that not a single post on here considers that the peloton could really be mostly clean at this point and that the former dopers won races while doped over a bunch of other doping riders.

Could they be clean and still win?

I'm just asking the question.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Squares said:
Could it be a theoretical possibility that these guys are actually some of the best and now that they are riding clean and the rest of the peloton has been cleaned up, that they are winning on a level playing field?

I'm not saying they are clean, but it seems odd to me that not a single post on here considers that the peloton could really be mostly clean at this point and that the former dopers won races while doped over a bunch of other doping riders.

Could they be clean and still win?

I'm just asking the question.

They could. But it's academic. Could I be dead while posting this? It's possible. Almost impossible, but still possible.

The way you have to look at it here is: there are no new tests for new drugs. A bunch of them are still undetectable or virtually so. So why would they no longer be doping?

They decided to stop out of the goodness of their heart?

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
issoisso said:
They could. But it's academic. Could I be dead while posting this? It's possible. Almost impossible, but still possible.

The way you have to look at it here is: there are no new tests for new drugs. A bunch of them are still undetectable or virtually so. So why would they no longer be doping?

They decided to stop out of the goodness of their heart?

Because they don't wanna waste blood on the effing Giro Del Trentino?

TRENDING THREADS