• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro di Lombardia: Who is going to win it?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who do you think is gonna win Giro di Lombardia 2011?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
phil's problem will be his team because just like in paris-tours and canada they won't bother too much.so if the others will drop him somewhere it's game over.can't see it though and if he wins a 3rd lombardia,chapeau!

as other favourites i see:uran,mollema,sammy and voeckler.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
miguelvazpinto said:
Forum´s poll tool has a maximum of ten options. Those 9 riders are who I considerer most but of course Uran, Pozzato, Lovkvist, Basso, Voeckler, etc are important possibilities. The ones in the poll are my top favourites.

you consider gerrans more than uran :rolleyes:

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there's anyone out there who could beat Gilbert in his best form. I don't know how good his shape is going to be, but guessing from his desperate attacks in Paris-Tours, I suspect he is going to be good, real good. At the ame time, Mollema impressed me in Emilia, but that's still a different race. I don't know, I still think Gilbert has the biggest chance.

But it's cycling, so you never know.

I'd love to see Mollema win it, but it has to be said that he's yet to show the requisite killer instinct. His only significant win since winning Avenir years ago remains a stage of the Tour of Poland and that's not really Lombardia winning palmares.

Gilbert is obviously the favourite if he has any kind of form, but I'll be cheering for just about anyone to beat him.

Zinoviev Letter said:
I'd love to see Mollema win it, but it has to be said that he's yet to show the requisite killer instinct. His only significant win since winning Avenir years ago remains a stage of the Tour of Poland and that's not really Lombardia winning palmares.

Gilbert is obviously the favourite if he has any kind of form, but I'll be cheering for just about anyone to beat him.

That killer instinct **** is always such bull****. Half of the time when you look at those guys 2nd places it's because the break hasn't been pulled back and nonsense like that.
Eg. They were unlucky. You need luck too.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
That killer instinct **** is always such bull****. Half of the time when you look at those guys 2nd places it's because the break hasn't been pulled back and nonsense like that.
Well, it's a bit strange when you're quite explosive and have a decent sprint like Mollema, to have just one pro win to your name. Dan Martin is more or less the same type of rider, but he's won quite a bit more, including a couple of times against Mollema. And not because he's stronger.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

You do indeed need luck. But there's also a skill to turning ability and form into wins. I think that Mollema has the ability to rack up wins but he hasn't done so.

As theyoungest notes Dan Martin is a very similar rider to Mollema, is about the same age and made his step forward a year and a half ago at the same time as Mollema in the same race. They even have the same ungainly riding style. Since then Martin has seven wins, Mollema has yet to add a second. I don't think that luck explains that. I think that Martin has picked up the knack of turning ability into wins faster than Mollema has. I have every confidence that Bauke will get there sooner or later however.