• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2011: Stage 13 Spilimbergo to Grossglockner

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 6, 2009
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
Ruben like D_T :p
But My name is better cuz is Ruben Dario! Ruben alone is not that good!
As.com
Marca.com ---> Here they always said that Rujano is colombian = / is really annoying...

+1

I think that was a nice gesture... Rujano did awesome in the climb and was the only one able to follow him, He didnt take too much pulls in the front but even after that Alberto conceded him the victory like telling him "Respect!"... two really humble guys...

Haha I can see why. I'm going to have to go to Venezuela, I have a buddy who is from there, and I'm sure I can stay for free there. Win.

But back on topic, what a good ride by Dupont and Gadret.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Oh yes, he is such a noble character. Just like Armstrong gifting the stage to pantani...noble.:rolleyes:

Rujano just said Alberto did give it to him because he helped him gaining a bigger lead:p check the CN article :)
nice by rujano for admitting it :)

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
I just watched the replay of the Stage- Conta & Rujano are the Mountain kings- nobody is going to get even near to them in the coming stages.
I'm really annoyed by Nibali, Scarponi & Kreuziger behavior-they think by marking each other,somehow they are going to make it to the podium:mad: Hats off to Gadret who-at least- took the initiative to attack-and gave a good effort to get up there.

I'm not sure why you're annoyed by Nibali and Scarponi. When Contador initially attacked Scarponi tried to respond. Nibali lacks that accleration but he did respond in his own way, avoiding going into the red. Obviously neither can match Contador and Rujano, so for them to blow up now, lose major minutes when there is still lots of climbing ahead would be self-defeating. Maybe you are expecting them to go on some marathon-type attack earlier in the stage to see if Contador/Saxo Bank allows them to, at least initially? With the liklihood that they would be reeled in and then probably dropped it wouldn't make sense to risk it. They both may have expended resources in responding to Contador and Rujano, while Gadret and Dupont were able to sit until their moment of attack and just didn't have it in their legs to chase them down.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
Well atleast you have opened my eyes for Rujano and south americans in general. It's hard not to get interested in these riders when you and - especially - Ryo have been hyping them so much! :D

I must admit that I've jumped on the hype train and actually I'm quite obsessed with south americans - can't wait till Vuelta a Colombia :D

I'm wishing that Juan Mauricio Soler could've been here. That would've really made things interesting (please save the crash related retorts, they're well worn and tired). I think that many are finally seeing why some of us had such high hopes of a return to form of Rujano and Soler. There were many doubts and questions as to why we thought so highly of some of these riders. Rujano has truly opened eyes around the world with his Giro performance.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Oh yes, he is such a noble character. Just like Armstrong gifting the stage to pantani...noble.:rolleyes:

Difference being Armstrong told the media immediately after the stage that he gifted the stage, unfortunately he failed to inform Pantani that he did/was prior to them crossing the finish. Pure class.:rolleyes:

I guess your idea of nobility is accosting your opponents for altering their line in a sprint for the line when actually they didn't, it was simply a tactical error on the complaining rider's part. Or maybe assaulting a rider for slowing the chase of escapees (he had a teammate up the road), which is all within cycling's traditions and not illegal in any way.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Lanark said:
Arrogant? Not really, Merckx or Hinault would never have given away this stage. I don't like those gifts, although I can understand the tactical necessity of it.

...but then he isn't Merckx or Hinault nor is he from Belgium or France. Maybe he's an admirer of another great, Indurain, thus the gift.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
La Pandera said:
Difference being Armstrong told the media immediately after the stage that he gifted the stage, unfortunately he failed to inform Pantani that he did/was prior to them crossing the finish. Pure class.:rolleyes:

I guess your idea of nobility is accosting your opponents for altering their line in a sprint for the line when actually they didn't, it was simply a tactical error on the complaining rider's part. Or maybe assaulting a rider for slowing the chase of escapees (he had a teammate up the road), which is all within cycling's traditions and not illegal in any way.

No I am just not a big fan of gifting riders wins.

craig1985 said:
But back on topic, what a good ride by Dupont and Gadret.

Absolutely. Im one of the few who sees Gadret as superior to Roche and ive been hyping him for this all year but i never expected him to be this good.

Hes been one of the 5 best riders in the Giro considering he attacked on stage 5 and that epic Gilbert finish on stage 12 and now he attacked on the Grossglockner.

Not just followed wheels, he attacked, showed some balls, even thought it failed, he still finished with the pack.

Whats more amazing is that hes clearly the best French gc rider around, by a country mile, and on this form should be able to crack the top 10 in the TDF but instead, hes going for the Giro.

And Dupont dropping Scarponi, Nibali, Anton, Menchov to work with Gadret, wtf:eek:

I think stage 15 might suit some cooperation. Attack together on the Fedaia or even earlier on the Giau, work together on the descents and short flat, then go all out on the Gardeccia.