• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2013 - Final Thoughts

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How do you rate the Giro d'Italia 2013

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 18, 2009
Visit site

Nibali was too strong, Cav was too strong. Weather messed up the route.

Uran and Visconti's victories were good though.

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Gave it an Eight out of Ten. Two points off for not being able to see more action in the high mountains. Overall I liked this very much from the beginning, unlike the dull TdF 2011 that had no real elements of interest until the last week.

All this is very subjective, really, as I read through the posts.

i give it a six

mountains stages slaughtered
the sprints absolutely dominated by cav zzzzz
wiggo abandon
killer caught again

vs
tutti pazzi per pirazzi
killer at least going down in fashion
nibali putting a show and savin this giro from disaster on tre cime
gio visconti
some good action hilly stages
the colombians, too bad they didn't have all the space though

overall i think it's better than 2012.

burning said:
Removal of Crostis and death of WW were really depressing, but Tour 2009 invented a new level of depressing racing imo

Death of WW and death of Tondo.

No one is more willing to make a big deal out of the removal of the Crostis from the 2011 Giro than me, but in this case i think that has to take a bit of a back seat.

With the weather as bad as it was, and so many mountains being removed, it felt more like watching back to back ten day races than a real Giro. It was better than MSR of course, but I think I preferred last year's procession. I was happy to see Nibali and Betancur do well, and Majka was a real surprise for me.

During the first week I felt another 2010 Giro coming. Was wile excited. Weather ruined much of the fun, but I also think it created much of the fun. All in all a good Giro, but not super.

Lots of great stages, despite cancellations and changes. I really enjoyed the Montasio stage, and the Jafferau stage also looked like a good one, shame we couldn't see it. Slightly disappointed with Galibier, although the incredibly high epic-factor helped a lot.

Despite having seen the opposite opinion voiced quite a lot here on this forum, I think the Colombia team acquitted themselves pretty well. Lots of fireworks in the first week, and despite coming into the race obviously lacking in form, in the last week Duarte was, dare I say it, the second best climber in the race (possibly third, behind Betancur as well). Will they be doing Dauphiné or Switzerland? If so, the climbs are all Fabio's.

Pretty decent Giro by myself as well, I must say. Belkov, Navardauskas (odds 41) and Duarte all provided a nice addition to my income. A shame Sanchez couldn't net me some winnings in the MTT as well.

To Eurosport: Next time, no Declan Quigley! Liked how Kelly was a wee bit more talkative and funny, though.

And btw; I feel for Marco Canola :( Would've been great...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
it's fine line between weather making racing epic and ruining a race, sadly we were on the wrong side this time.

Decent first week, the high mountains were disappointing due to circumstance and it was all too easy for nibbles.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
I voted 7.

The GC was a bore-fest after the first ITT and with the cancellation of so many climbs in the Alps and Dolomites the GPM quickly became one too.
However I don't really remember a stage that I was bored whilst watching: something happened to spark excitement every day.

The fight between Betencaur and Majka. Could Uran overhaul Evans? Would it be a sprinter or a climber that took the points jersey? All of these questions kept the race interesting even after it had become obvious that Nibali had won unless he crashed/had an ill timed mechanical/got ill.

Unusually for a Grand Tour there wasn't a stage that I could say was boring. There was some form of excitement everyday and so for that reason I would say it has been a pretty good Giro. It is nobody's fault, not RCS or even Carlton Kirby's that stages had to be truncated or cancelled. The proliferation of medium mountain stages where riders with vastly different characteristics can thrive seems a good recipe for exciting racing. I hope ASO will learn from this and make bigger use of the Massif Central in future.

So overall, a big Meh! on the GC but a big win on 20 stages providing some sort of excitement.

7/10.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Day by day it was fascinating and there were lots of interesting sub-plots. However this was the third Giro in a row with a dull GC competition.

11 was Contador showing the Giro contenders how it is done
12 was a procession
13 Nibali was strong, but had no competition. When the podium is filled out by Sky's fourth-best GC rider and a rider on the decline who was only at the Giro for training, you can be sure there was no real overall race.

Gave it a 5.Mediocre edition,great first week then ruined by the weather.Some great moments but history won't be kind to it although Nibali can't do anything about that,pleased for him,strongest rider and produced a classy display.

Morbius said:
Day by day it was fascinating and there were lots of interesting sub-plots. However this was the third Giro in a row with a dull GC competition.

11 was Contador showing the Giro contenders how it is done
12 was a procession
13 Nibali was strong, but had no competition. When the podium is filled out by Sky's fourth-best GC rider and a rider on the decline who was only at the Giro for training, you can be sure there was no real overall race.

Come on, i rate the Giro 2012:cool: as a very very good Giro with respect to GC even though not epic. It does not matter if the big names were not there but the competition between whoever is present. For me
Vuelta2012(Epic)>Giro2012(excellent)>tdf2012(insipid)

IndianCyclist said:
Come on, i rate the Giro 2012:cool: as a very very good Giro with respect to GC even though not epic. It does not matter if the big names were not there but the competition between whoever is present. For me
Vuelta2012(Epic)>Giro2012(excellent)>tdf2012(insipid)

With respect to the GC being open, yes, as there was a lack of competition for the clearly dominant victor in 2011 and 2013.

However, one important aspect of competition is people actually competing, which they didn't seem inclined to do in the 2012 edition.

TRENDING THREADS