• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro D'Italia 2015

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Miburo said:
How? Contador is just a far better GT rider than uran. When has a socalled on form uran (in a GT) been able to rival contador for you to make that claim?
What claim?

Anyway, I don't wanna indulge in those typical forum discussions where we pretend to know something that we don't, ie the percentage of shape riders were in a specific race.
So I'll just leave it as it was. Uran beat Cotador by 24 seconds in a 36 km long ITT in the only GT where they clash in the past 3 years. So it seems reasonable to expect Contador to lose 40 seconds in a 60 km long ITT in normal conditions.

My personal guess is that he'll lose something closer to a minute.

SafeBet said:
SeriousSam said:
What does the time trial look like? Uran isn't Indurian. Nor even Froome. 1 minute, really?
He took 24 seconds on Contador in last year Vuelta's ITT, which was 36 km long. And he surely wasn't in top shape.
So yeah, a minute looks very realistic.

Yep, Uran and Porte will both be targetting this as a great chance to take a minute or more out of Contador. It might not happen if Contador can put in an epic TT (better than anything he has done since his suspension), but it would make for a great GT if one or both of those two have more than a minute to defend going into the last week.

SafeBet said:
Miburo said:
How? Contador is just a far better GT rider than uran. When has a socalled on form uran (in a GT) been able to rival contador for you to make that claim?
What claim?

Anyway, I don't wanna indulge in those typical forum discussions where we pretend to know something that we don't, ie the percentage of shape riders were in a specific race.
So I'll just leave it as it was. Uran beat Cotador by 24 seconds in a 36 km long ITT in the only GT where they clash in the past 3 years. So it seems reasonable to expect Contador to lose 40 seconds in a 60 km long ITT in normal conditions.

You're way too mature for the cyclingnews forum man.

The fridge in the blue trees said:
The Hitch said:
but I have no idea where this sudden hype for him to win the Giro is coming from. He had one great gt stage in his life when he went mini Indurain for a tt. He won another one by being allowed to attack early on a climb. Other than that he's never even been the 2nd best rider on a mountain, was often worse than that including while defending the pink last year.

Sudden hype? Steady improvement the answer. And it's not really sudden hype anyway, how many here think he can beat Contador? 5? And neither sudden nor hype to think he can beat him, it's called an opinion.
Zoncolan, he was the second best there last year. Tre Cime in 2013 too... unless Duarte got him, not sure anymore, but then Duarte doesn't count anyway.

Betancur was 2nd best on Tre Cime. He had a mechanical midway up the mountain when the pace went up, and had to catch up the peloton before finishing s.t as Uran.

Re:

The Hitch said:
People might be underestimating Contador's tt ability. He blows hot and cold. He's had plenty of bad or average tts. He's also had great ones, like last time he was at the giro when he came 3rd while celebrating the entire last km.
Generally he is not so unpredictable when he's in hood shape. When he's off top form his TTs are very up and down.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

SafeBet said:
Miburo said:
What claim?

You're the one who was talking about form, i never mentioned it to begin with.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
And i've only seen 1 amazing and 1 really good ITT in a GT from Uran.

I've seen more impressive ITT's from Contador in a GT. It depends on his form, a really good contador can win it, but when he's a bit of shape he can lose a lot.

It depends whether you believe what kinda contador you're gonna get, he can beat uran but he can also lose a min.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
If the TT was half as long I think Contador could beat Uran, but it's too long for him. Ofc I still think Contador will finish in the top-5, perhaps podium, but for me Uran is the clear favourite to win it.

I'd agree with that if the second half was flat too. But a really good contador can definitely beat Uran and it's already 2 weeks in the GT. Ok not really many hard stages but it's still 14 days of racing.

The first 14 days of the giro are pretty weak, 2 MTF's and they're really meh. There are some interesting stages but i don't think anyone will try something there.

There are only two mtf before the TT, and the first one isn't that difficult, so I don't think that Contador will be much more than a minute in front of Uran (or at least I hope so). If this is the case I hope that Contador is in really bad time trialing shape, because that would guarantee an awesome last week.
By the way, I don't think Uran can win the giro. He is just not as good as Contador is, but the fact that he might better in the TT really makes me looking forward to this giro

Re:

the sceptic said:
Well we haven't really seen Richie 2.0 go full gas in a long ITT so I am going to assume he will win it easily.

This is also what I think, Porte is on a rampage right now. He should win this or be highest of the GC guys. The question is will he do a Porte in 3rd week. I expect that Alberto will lose time to both Porte and Uran in this ITT, but he will still win the Giro.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Porte is the lightest he has ever been, so will be at his best ever in the time trial. Will put at least 30 seconds into Contador, unless 09 Contador somehow reemerges from the distant past.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

SyroboiII said:
The thing is, Porte's team is SO much better than Contador's team.

Rogers has showed absolutely nothing this year, Basso is old, Kreuziger is demoralized and under observation.. then what's left? A lot of B-climbers and rouleurs. Is there anybody who even knows the final team?

Porte has Nieve, König, Lopez, Seb Henao and perhaps Siutsou. They will be 5 when Contador is alone.

Demoralized Kreuziger is still very good, fifth at Liege and strong at all Ardennes. One wonders if he really is demoralized...

Kokoso said:
SyroboiII said:
The thing is, Porte's team is SO much better than Contador's team.

Rogers has showed absolutely nothing this year, Basso is old, Kreuziger is demoralized and under observation.. then what's left? A lot of B-climbers and rouleurs. Is there anybody who even knows the final team?

Porte has Nieve, König, Lopez, Seb Henao and perhaps Siutsou. They will be 5 when Contador is alone.

Demoralized Kreuziger is still very good, fifth at Liege and strong at all Ardennes. One wonders if he really is demoralized...

Yes, Kreuziger being allowed to race and apparently in decent form is huge for Contador. Roman would be a podium contender if he was on another team.

As for the ITT, I would pick Porte to take it. Amazing form all year, including MTT win in Paris-Nice and national time trial title at Australian championships. Wouldn't expect major differences between he, Contador and Uran though. Alberto is still a very good time triallist. Last year he did some good ones and even in the 2013 TDF he finished second on the hilly one. Overall for the Giro I'd pick Contador, but it's still a little up in the air given the issue of form. Richie is firing on all cylinders, but can he hold that through the whole event? And are there enough difficult stages early to take advantage of if the other contenders are more looking at a third week peak? Probably not. As a fellow Australian, I'd be happy to see Porte make the podium, or even top five. Perhaps a key will be whether that is his mindset too.

Should be an excellent GT.

Miburo said:
Eshnar said:
finally Il Garibaldi is online :) http://www.gazzetta.it/Giroditalia/2015/download/Garibaldi2015.pdf
EDIT: Lol I already spotted an epic fail in stage 4 description and graphics :eek:

Stage 9 looks so **** good, holy ****!

That's why the giro will always be better than the tour, you almost never get stages like that in the tour.
Stage 4, 9, 11 and 12 are nothing short than great. When I studied them for my analysis I realized they're even better than I thought at first.
Crosara is one big wall. Not the same side as 2013.