• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2016 STAGE 17: Molveno – Cassano d'Adda 196 km

Huge chance to isolate Kruijswijk early, then do all kinds of weird attacks on the flat

Eshnar said:
STAGE 17: Molveno – Cassano d'Adda 196 km

Stage start: 12.35 CET, 25 May

PW_T17_CassanoDA_alt.jpg

U0ktoIU.jpg

Technical Overview:
Unofficial rest day for the peloton, just before the final rush into the Alps. There is only one categorized climb, Passo S.Eusebio (7.3 km at 3.5%, GPM4), very easy and very far from the finish. There is actually another climb, much earlier in the day, starting in Tione di Trento, with roughly 5 km at 5%, uncategorized for no reason. In any case, the last 86 km of this stage are dead flat. There is only one tricky bend in the last 5 km, and it is at just 600m to go, so it might be a problem.

PW_T17_CassanoDA_ukm.jpg

zH8qkNp.jpg

The Climbs:

Passo S.Eusebio GPM4
We've got only this profile from salite.ch, although the numbers don't quite match. They will probably do a slightly different variant.
bVgqWUp.gif

What to expect:
Bunch sprint.

castello-di-cassano-6.jpg

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Giro d'Italia 2016 STAGE 17: Molveno – Cassano d'Adda 19

Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Huge chance to isolate Kruijswijk early, then do all kinds of weird attacks on the flat
I wont be able to watch again, so probably yes :mad:

Is there any chance you're out for the weekend stages, too?

I mean, if we all pitch in, crowd funding so to say, we can probably send you away on a long weekend with no chance of watching on Friday and Saturday.

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Majka to launch his trademark nuclear long range attack on the slopes of legendary Passo Sant' Eusebio. Folifornov to go full gas after him and winning the sprint, as he should be well rested after today's sunday ride.

5 minutes later lucky spectators will witness an epic shark vs bala sprint for bonus seconds. These two will have to settle for 4 i 5 place though, as no one has noticed Maxim Monford who attacked before to recover couple of seconds to his anonymous 15 GC place. Nizzolo to accept Ulissi's deal that the point classification should be settled one intermediate sprints in friday and saturday.

Gigs to watch highlights later.

Re:

phil-i-am said:
Majka to launch his trademark nuclear long range attack on the slopes of legendary Passo Sant' Eusebio. Folifornov to go full gas after him and winning the sprint, as he should be well rested after today's sunday ride.

5 minutes later lucky spectators will witness an epic shark vs bala sprint for bonus seconds. These two will have to settle for 4 i 5 place though, as no one has noticed Maxim Monford who attacked before to recover couple of seconds to his anonymous 15 GC place. Nizzolo to accept Ulissi's deal that the point classification should be settled one intermediate sprints in friday and saturday.

Gigs to watch highlights later.

I genuinely had a good laugh, thanks!

Some people are speculating Lampre will not pull to help Ulissis chance to win the points competiton, but normally a stagewin ranks a lot higher than the pointscompetition in the Giro, and Modolo would have just a great a chance to win here than Ulissi would to win the Pointscompetition, so that would not make much sence at all. Lampre and Trek should keep this together and will likely get help from Katusha also and maybe even Giant and perhaps Gazprom that looks to have a lot of fait in Savitskiy.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
MatParker117 said:
Geraint Too Fast said:
Who's going to control this stage? 5 Trek guys? Lampre so Nizzolo can gain big points on Ulissi? This stage has got big breakaway written all over it IMO.

Brutt ftw.

Trek, Giant, DD and OGE.
Whome does giant DD and orica have?

Mezgec, won Giro stage in 2014. And Sbaragli, won Vuelta stage last year. They haven't got that much to lose for pulling a bit.

Re:

MADRAZO said:
Some people are speculating Lampre will not pull to help Ulissis chance to win the points competiton, but normally a stagewin ranks a lot higher than the pointscompetition in the Giro, and Modolo would have just a great a chance to win here than Ulissi would to win the Pointscompetition, so that would not make much sence at all. Lampre and Trek should keep this together and will likely get help from Katusha also and maybe even Giant and perhaps Gazprom that looks to have a lot of fait in Savitskiy.
I think Lampre won't pull, simply because they are absolutely hopeless at pulling. They couldn't even keep the final procession of a stage together last year. They might send a few men to the front who look like they're doing something, but it's up to Trek to keep this one together.

I think Bardiani also might do some work at the front, which is a shame - because I think they would be better off trying something in the break than backing Colbrelli for the win.