• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 16: Trento – Rovereto 34.2 km ITT

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
What's with all the whining about Dumoulin. Aside from Yates in superform he is far ahead of everyone else
I wouldn't call it whining.

I think many had hoped for better.

And I think plenty had hoped that Dumoulin would win the Giro again. On the other hand, this is pretty much the definitive proof that Dumoulin's victory last year was not a flash in the pan. He's on course for 2nd place, which is nothing to scoff at, and a very good performance.

The overall performance is solid. The result is a minor disappointment.

Re: Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
dfromdub said:
Yates just said at RAI he thought he lost the jersey today because he was really tired in the last 10km. He said he attacked the climb too much and paid for it afterwards so he was expecting to lose much more time.

The kid is learning how to bluff and play down his own surreal batshit crazy thermonuclear strength...atta boy Yates, you're learning well.
After they read the comments in social media they started thinking about excuses and new approach. He will still crush everyone in the remaining stages!

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
Aru 20'' penalty for drafting, Ulissi 2'00'' penalty. Pedersen 30'' penalty.
Lol, Pedersen just 30" after that?
At least they got some punishment for drafting in an ITT, how many times does that happen to a rider in their home gt?

Re: Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 16: Trento – Rovereto 34.2 km I

JosephK said:
This time trial went about as expected, although I did not expect Rohan Dennis to be this good after working hard to stay in GC contention

I don't think Dennis was working that hard to stay in GC contention? He said today he was riding conservatively in the mountains to limit his losses. If this is true that it bodes well for the rest of the Giro and his future ambitions to be more competitive in Grand Tours. Hopefully now the TT is done and dusted he can ride less conservatively in the remaining mountains. He will need to if he wants to consolidate his top 10 GC position.

This Giro was something of an experiment for Dennis and BMC. So far so good.

Chapeau Dennis! Yatesy still in stellar form - or everyone else is pooped. Shame for the GC race as Yatesy can wheel suck to Rome now. Dawg was supposed to be at 100% in week 3 - we'll see who has some energy left. This might not be all cut and dried yet.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
del1962 said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
What's with all the whining about Dumoulin. Aside from Yates in superform he is far ahead of everyone else

I expected Dumoulin to be quicker today closer to Dennis, I think he may be fading.
Thrn everyone is fading. Look at the relative poor Tts from Pinot, Lopez and Pozzovivo. They have done better flat ITT as well. They are all tired

Except Yates who is tired afterwards and did, by his own admission, the TT of his life.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
del1962 said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

I expected Dumoulin to be quicker today closer to Dennis, I think he may be fading.
Thrn everyone is fading. Look at the relative poor Tts from Pinot, Lopez and Pozzovivo. They have done better flat ITT as well. They are all tired
Pozzo fulfilled expectations much more better than Dumuolin.

Re:

Bolder said:
It's interesting how many commenters still see Froome as a real threat.

I'm not so sure about that, though I'm always in favor of a closely contested race. If Froome had strung together two good days in the mountains I would agree, but he looks somewhat diminished from peak GT form. It may in fact come down to Poels -- he help launch Froome's attack on Zoncolan. Looking at the last three stages, there's ample opportunity to gain large chunks of time, but can Froome put together 2 or even 3 good days? I can't wait for the Finistre -- still recall watching Salvodelli lose, then win the Giro...

I wouldn't be surprised if Poels and Froome tried something crazy on Friday. I doubt Froome has any interest in going for the podium at the Giro so he'll take big chances. Friday's stage is the only "real" TDF style 3x high mountain passes stage at the Giro this year and Froome has shown he can handle these...

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Agree 100% - it was the same in week 3 last year as well. The Giro is the toughest GT of the year parcours-wise. We are a long way from the endless piano stages of the Cipollini era, the breaks are being reeled back again and agin, and the racing is more unstructured than the Tour. Also it's barely spring in the high mountains.

Rollthedice said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
del1962 said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Except Yates who is tired afterwards and did, by his own admission, the TT of his life.

his DS said that time trialing is the area where he made the most improvement since last year though. And (although it was very solid) this was not visible today. So I think it's really hard to say whether this result a sign of strength or not.

I expected Dennis to take the win today but his position in GC is surprising at this time of the race. I didn't believe in his GC ambitions before the race and still think he'll lose significant time in the following stages and drop out of the top10. But I have to admit he's been doing fine so far.

del1962 said:
Frankschleck said:
Pinot stuck with the uran syndrome.

Thats an insult to Uran

Uran found his TT again in last year's Tour. He rode a smart race but hardly an inspired one. Pinot usually does neither just hangs around the podium without really forcing the race. He needs to take some risks or maybe he's just not good enough to take the next step against the current opposition. When Froome and Nibali retire he could get better results but by then some of the younger riders will also be better.

Re:

johnymax said:
I expected Dennis to take the win today but his position in GC is surprising at this time of the race. I didn't believe in his GC ambitions before the race and still think he'll lose significant time in the following stages and drop out of the top10. But I have to admit he's been doing fine so far.
This. I'll be impressed and somewhat surprised if he can hang on.

Leinster said:
wirral said:
PremierAndrew said:
Anyone got a clip of Ulissi snd Aru drafting?

Aru drafted off a police bike.

Ulissi went out one minute after his team mate Conti, who immediately lost a minute, and then they worked as a pair.

I have no clip for you, sorry.

Didn’t they used to separate teammates in the start list just to prevent exactly that happening?

it's still possible, even the Giro regulations themself say "In the case that two or more riders belonging to the same team should result in consecutive starting order, the Commissaries’ Panel could change that order by inserting competitors from other teams who are immediately preceding or following them in the general classification."

Yesterday they did not though, for whatever reason

TRENDING THREADS